Melleri

chamconnect

To all of the Meller's lovers out there; from experience what have you found to be a favorite? My male ate a huge discoid roach once and chowed it down but now will just watch them crawl away. He seems to love crickets more than anything. Could it have to do with what they were raised on? Any tips on enticing??

Thanks guys,
Dan

I've had my two Melleri for only two months (they came from the same place). One will heartily eat any size Dubia, crickets and superworms. The other LOVES green banana roaches the best, but she will eat small Dubia and crickets on occasion. Once she ate a superworm. I haven't been able to get either one of them interested in hornworms. They both literally look away as if I've offered them poisonous fruit.

Deb

the roaches are eating high grade dog food with lettuce/apples/oranges.. Whatever I have available.. Superworms oatmeal and apple slices/banana peels. crickets - cricket krack and apple slices. Carrots when I have them.

Where do you get green banana roaches! Ive been looking for a locust/grasshopper breeder but I guess because theyre such a pest nobody sells them. This is the answer I was expecting to see. They are so picky! My female loves huge almost pupating hornworms and used to devour superworms I put on the screen cage but Ive been loading them up with crickets and they seem to be happy for now. It is almost like they desire variation in cycles. If the cage is loaded with crickets she wont eat superworms from my hand.

i only throw in like 15 or so pieces every once and a while it usually goes bad within a week or so and I just leave it for substrate they mainly get fruits and lettuce from the garden. romaine.. Im just now getting the colony started thanks for the advice. The only two babies I found were dead any ideas why? I have about 10 or more medium to large ones about to become full grown adults

I've had my two Melleri for only two months (they came from the same place). One will heartily eat any size Dubia, crickets and superworms. The other LOVES green banana roaches the best, but she will eat small Dubia and crickets on occasion. Once she ate a superworm. I haven't been able to get either one of them interested in hornworms. They both literally look away as if I've offered them poisonous fruit.

Deb

I can't get Guinevere to touch a hornworm either, whether it's small, large, green, or blue. I don't know what it is about hornworms, but she is NOT convinced!

But the hornworm moths/sphinx moths are a different story, they're a lot more enticing.

Besides that, my three Meller's (in the varying lengths of time I had them) would all eat roaches (in my case discoids and dusky cave roaches), superworms, and crickets really well. Butterworms maybe, they haven't been super popular either.

I can't get Guinevere to touch a hornworm either, whether it's small, large, green, or blue. I don't know what it is about hornworms, but she is NOT convinced!

But the hornworm moths/sphinx moths are a different story, they're a lot more enticing.

Besides that, my three Meller's (in the varying lengths of time I had them) would all eat roaches (in my case discoids and dusky cave roaches), superworms, and crickets really well. Butterworms maybe, they haven't been super popular either.

Well, maybe I'll just give up trying! I've got a few pupating - but the moths are SO big! I guess I'll give it a try. But with FRing I hope the moth doesn't decide to take flight!

Deb

Hahaha I am so surprised!!!! I found out that she loved pupating hornworms when I held them by the head in front of her and watched them spin their bodies and wiggle like crazy. She found it super appetizing and ate out of my hand.

Mine will eat anything they can fit in their mouths ... literally. In addition to all the common feeders they love mantids, luna moths, silk moths, snails .... a few of them like to munch on leaves. Especially the dead brown ones.

Back
Top Bottom