Melleri Mating Attempt. . .

d3s5

Avid Member
Well, Mocuba finally accepted Medjumbe's advances. It didn't work out too well...

First, Medjumbe tried to mate with Mocuba's head.

He got himself turned around. . .

And then. . .

Turned a really strange color. . .

And closed his eyes/fell asleep????

For several minutes.

Mocuba finally got tired too and woke him up.

She let him know she wasn't too happy.

I gave her a stick insect to cheer her up.

I really don't know if this was their first attempt or not. But, is this common? Any insights anyone has would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Deb

Ha! It looks like an attempt at mating (her tail is way up, his colors look like male mating colors from what I understand. Meller's seem to get dingy tones when they're receptive/wooing the ladies) But I have no idea what happened with him mid-way!

What great photos Deb and I love the captions. These guys are just so funny. Wouldn't it be awesome if they do mate and you get tiny Melleri babies! It looks like that just might happen. :)

My pair have been acting really strange lately too. I thought my male was sick or dying today because he was near the female hanging upside down with his eyes closed, and grayish pale green, just like yours looked. My female has been coming down onto the floor of the room the free range is in everyday being very restless. She's never once crawled down onto the floor before. I thought she was going to lay eggs, but her weight isn't up, and she out super thin under the basking light, so I should be able to see some buldges if she had eggs, at least I would think so.

Good luck with yours!

Leland

Ha! It looks like an attempt at mating (her tail is way up, his colors look like male mating colors from what I understand. Meller's seem to get dingy tones when they're receptive/wooing the ladies) But I have no idea what happened with him mid-way!
Thanks, Olimpia. I've never seen those colors before.

What great photos Deb and I love the captions. These guys are just so funny. Wouldn't it be awesome if they do mate and you get tiny Melleri babies! It looks like that just might happen. :)
Thanks, Jann. I still feel like such a new Melleri owner. I would love babies - but maybe after I feel comfortable with the adults! I thought it would take years for them to be comfortable enough to try mating.

I thought the male was supposed to fall asleep AFTER, not DURING.... :eek:
Yea, I was going to make a joke in my captions, but at the time I really thought he had dropped dead of a chameleon heart attack or something!

that's why she got pissed lol
She was REALLY quite angry! I should have video taped it!

My pair have been acting really strange lately too. I thought my male was sick or dying today because he was near the female hanging upside down with his eyes closed, and grayish pale green, just like yours looked. My female has been coming down onto the floor of the room the free range is in everyday being very restless. She's never once crawled down onto the floor before. I thought she was going to lay eggs, but her weight isn't up, and she out super thin under the basking light, so I should be able to see some buldges if she had eggs, at least I would think so.

Good luck with yours!

Leland

Thanks so much for the info, Leland! Like I said before, I really thought the male had just dropped dead! Such a weird time to zone out. It makes me feel a bit better if yours are near the female with their eyes closed. Maybe some sort of mating ritual!

Deb

We'd need Fluxlizard or Pamnsam94 to comment here, they've both had successful matings before and could offer up some insight I would think. I have a photo that I saved on my computer from someone (don't remember the owner) that shows two Meller's courting and the male is practically grey with white and black speckles, a really weird drab coloration. On Melleri discovery the photos seem to show the same thing. I guess Meller's do the opposite of firing up.

What I couldn't explain is the closing their eyes! I have no idea what that is about (a submissive gesture?)

The coloration looks like they're sick. When I came into the room my heart sank, because I throught he was dying. When I touched him he opened his eyes and walked away from me. 5 minutes later he was green under the misters drinking.

Very strange,

Leland

We'd need Fluxlizard or Pamnsam94 to comment here, they've both had successful matings before and could offer up some insight I would think. I have a photo that I saved on my computer from someone (don't remember the owner) that shows two Meller's courting and the male is practically grey with white and black speckles, a really weird drab coloration. On Melleri discovery the photos seem to show the same thing. I guess Meller's do the opposite of firing up.

What I couldn't explain is the closing their eyes! I have no idea what that is about (a submissive gesture?)
Yes, the closing of the eyes really surprised me! But maybe you're right - it is a submissive gesture - that sounds logical. I hope someone with some experience or knowledge about this chimes in!

The coloration looks like they're sick. When I came into the room my heart sank, because I throught he was dying. When I touched him he opened his eyes and walked away from me. 5 minutes later he was green under the misters drinking.

Very strange,

Leland
Yes, he was perfectly fine afterwards! Just so shocking - the color along with the closed eyes! I'm just surprised no other Melleri owners have mentioned it.

your post and running commentary on each picture really cracks me up! :p
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom