Melleri free range

toddmkeller

Avid Member
Well here is what I have so far, I am adding more plants soon but otherwise I like it so far.

3853289011_515e4dfb6e_b.jpg

I will take more pics later when its closer to finished, let me know what you think!

See ya,

Todd

PS the 4' Fluorescent fixture is suspended on the top of the closet door frame, if you look close you can see it.

Will you have a mist or drip system?
Drainage?
How are you connecting the branches?
If they should take a little walk is there anything in the room to harm them?

It's looking good, I am just throwing questions out there for ya. :cool:

That and I want to steal you ideas. ... :p

1. I hand mist, but a mist system could be put in place. ( I do have a mist system, but I use it for my other cham room at the moment. The melleri are good drinkers so this is no problem.
2. No real drainage, there is double layered 4 mil plastic sheeting on the bottom and plastic sheeting is going on the walls of the closet. I only mist 2X a day so my cages (free ranges) have a good amount of time to dry out.
3. Branches are connected via screws (countersunk so no sharp edges) and tied together with hemp in certain areas.
4. the only other things in the room are a few other cages, and my bed... There is only one way for them to get down and I could actually block that too, but I think that they will be okay. Somehow my bedroom turned into the montane room and I use extra covers at night because it gets down to 55-60 in there every night.

See ya,

Todd

Don't mean to double post.

But here's another pic showing the distance of the lamps from the perches and the floor.
3853759217_c94ec65c32_b.jpg

Well done Todd, I like the closet idea. I guess we can call you a closet case now. Let us know when your melleri are "out" of the closet.

My concern is the introduction of hemp into the chameleons area...Oh, sorry. I see you are from California.:D

Nick

You probably already thought of this but, wow, you could hang some boston ferns and huge pothos plants off that closet dowel and attach one of those little battery fans for air circulation.

I was thinking of using a dog elizabethean collar (the kind they put on dogs after a surgery) and have it turned up so the chameleon couldn't climb down the trunk of the tree to go roaming.

50-60 degrees is perfect for sleeping in, what are you talking about? :confused: Oh, that's right, you are a transplant and still need to acclimate. :p

Wow on the closet :)

Wow....free range in the closet! Great concept. I've seen cages put into a closet but not a free range. The branches look great. I would put a lot more foliage in there so that your Melleri will feel more secure. I've also just completed a new free range. I've found that a couple of mine like to explore the rest of the room as well. They climb down daily to roam around. Others are happy to stay in the free range and never venture out. So just be prepared if yours ends up being one that roams. Make sure there is nothing in that room that could injury it. Can't wait to see your finished product!

Melleri need lots of misting daily. They drink a lot slowly for quite a while. I'd line the back of the closet with plastic too or you could end up with moldy sheetrock in the house. You definitely don't want that to get started. I'd suggest Lots of sturdy foliage like a Ficus alli tree too! My free range melleri did roam out of their space occasionally...well actually almost daily especially if they found a nice sunny basking window in another room. Once they learn that the rest of the room/house is safe to travel around in they will do it even if their "official" habitat has everything they need. You can easily block the doorway to this room with a piece of board that is taller than they can reach. You can just step over it. Lucky cham!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments, Like I had said this was in the process of being built... what you see there was the product of a couple hours of tinkering. The closet has completely been lined with plastic, and more plants are being added.

See ya,

Todd

Ps. there are two chams in there not just one.

NICE! Looks good so far :)

I am about to move my chams to another room (much bigger :D ), thanks for the idea. My closet will be useful now :D instead of closing door and blocking with tanks - it'll be a big space for a lucky cham.

I like your set-up, Todd! Great use of the closet! I have a couple closets like that....but, unfortunately, they are all taken up by clothes..... :eek:

I'm sure your melleri will be very happy....

Melleri need lots of misting daily. They drink a lot slowly for quite a while. I'd line the back of the closet with plastic too or you could end up with moldy sheetrock in the house. You definitely don't want that to get started. I'd suggest Lots of sturdy foliage like a Ficus alli tree too! My free range melleri did roam out of their space occasionally...well actually almost daily especially if they found a nice sunny basking window in another room. Once they learn that the rest of the room/house is safe to travel around in they will do it even if their "official" habitat has everything they need. You can easily block the doorway to this room with a piece of board that is taller than they can reach. You can just step over it. Lucky cham!

This is pretty much what I was going to add. :) Thanks Carlton, you saved me some typing :D

Back
Top Bottom