Melleri Feet

I wanted to get some input from you fellow Melleri keepers.

This is Henry, I got him from Megan, shes a member of the forum. He LOVES his mulberry tree, but the branches are small. I zip tied some large Jungle Vines to the branches I noticed him resting on the most. Should I be worried by what you see in my photos if I continue to offer him large vines?

Front Right foot:

IMG_8637.jpg

Rear Right foot:

IMG_8638.jpg

Rear Left foot:

IMG_8640.jpg

Front Left foot:

IMG_8641.jpg

You can see he is wearing down the pads a little and they seem pink as if they are getting raw. I just don't want him to develop a foot issue. Let me know what ya think

I can't answer your question, however I can tell you I use the vines and my chams don't have feet with the red on them. Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Hey Kevin,

It is my understanding that Melleri can have probelms with their feet do to moisture. Is everything drying out between mistings and how long are you running your humidifier.

As you know I am a new owner of these guys. I would love to hear other input on this.

I zip tied some large Jungle Vines to the branches I noticed him resting on the most. Should I be worried by what you see in my photos if I continue to offer him large vines?

So.... Jungle Vines are PVC rubber? Or latex rubber?

Some of the fake vines will impart the rubber's color to the pale skin of the feet. If these are the fake vines that have the sandpaper texture, that can cause abrasions. I do not recommend sandy textured vines.

Has it been roosting more on the narrow mulberry? That can cause pressure point bruising (redness). Big branches widen the grip and spread weight over more footpad surface, reducing pressure points.

Use big perches, but not scratchy ones.

BTW, most of the brown scales on its soles will shed. The whole foot pad of the healthy captive is a pale peach color. You'll see how much color came off the rubber vines on the shed pieces.

Back to work for me!!

The vines are from ExoTerra. I am not sure what they are made of. Here is a pic of Henry sitting in his mulberry tree without the vine. I have not tried removing this tree from the room. I am not sure how he will react to the change since he sleeps in it every night. He does go into his range and bask, eat, drink and mosey around. BUT the tree is his way out of the range when he wants to explore the room and is much safer for him to climb than the slippery metal shelf poles.

IMG_8506.jpg

Here he is before sleep. ("what you lookin at?!") You can see a close up of the vine under his chin.

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8512.jpg

I use those vines also for my melleri and he loves them...I haven't noticed any redness on my guys feet though...He has been using them for almost 5 months now. I don't know what to say about your guys feet.......

Some of the fake vines will impart the rubber's color to the pale skin of the feet. If these are the fake vines that have the sandpaper texture, that can cause abrasions. I do not recommend sandy textured vines.
I don' think the vine is changing the color of his fee. I am just concerned that the feet might develop a bruise. If this happens is it hard to treat?

Has it been roosting more on the narrow mulberry? That can cause pressure point bruising (redness). Big branches widen the grip and spread weight over more footpad surface, reducing pressure points.
Henry was roosting in this tree, on the small branches for almost a month, maybe 3 weeks. I then put the large vines on the branches so that his weight would be more even on his feet. I just want to make sure that the pink will go away and that the spotchy feet are just simple discoloration that will shed away.

BTW, most of the brown scales on its soles will shed. The whole foot pad of the healthy captive is a pale peach color. You'll see how much color came off the rubber vines on the shed pieces.
I will keep an eye out to see how his skin color changes after he sheds

Here is Henry's foot. He has been shedding the last week or so. The coloring did go away as you can see. I am still going to keep an eye on his feet, I don't want any pressure sores.

IMG_8913.jpg

Back
Top Bottom