meet Simmons my first cham :)

bork da basher

finally got some pics up of my new veiled male who i got the other day. hes called Simmons, if you like the band KISS you can guess why haha.

i took him in off someone who cant look after him anymore and i suspect has neglected his diet a bit as his casque is a bit flopped over. other than that hes strong, fiesty and gorgeous!

his tank is a viv exotic that he's been in since he was a baby and seems fine with the glass reflection issue. ive added a 16" square airvent in the top of his tank so hes got plenty of ventilation but living in the UK and it being cold it keeps the heat/humidity in nicely too.

couldnt be happier with him...just got to get him used to me now so i can handle him.

i suspect this may become an addiction.

sweet looking veild!!! what do you have for live plants in that enclosure? they look great and i am on the hunt for plants!!!

a ficus (fig), hibiscus and a scheffiera (umbrella plant) got them from B&Q garden centre £4 each. just remember to repot them in natural soil.

Y repot them in natural soil???

Organic is a more commonly used word for it.. to ensure there's no fertilizers cause chams.can eat the leaves and dirt.. the lesves should also be washed in a heavily diluted dishsoap/water mixture

Your chams a very good lookin.guy with a nice setup.. hows that case work for ventilation?

yes sorry organic is what i meant.

it has several small airvents already but this wasnt sufficient so i cut out 16" square out of the top of the tank and fitted a regular household plastic airvent to the inside and outside (so the hole wasnt visable. i also sealed the cut edge of the hole with silicone too to prevent moisure getting into the wood.

an screen cage is preferable but this is what the chameleon has lived in all his life with his previous owner so i didnt think it was appropriate to change that.

as i live in the UK mesh cages are very difficult to keep hot and humid and i find i get perfect temps/humidity in this cage. in a mesh cage i know id be struggling without lots of misting and extra heating equiptment.

Back
Top Bottom