Meet Dutch Bella!

Sonny13

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

I´m new to chameleon community and Bella is my first. I bought her 19 December ´20, at the age of 3 á 4 months (according breeder) and should be an Blue Veiled Female.

Put a lot of information from the Chameleon Academy (unfortunately too late, needed to invest double). However everything they share, seems to work perfectly.

Here some basics as introduction.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Female around 6 months old and did her 2nd shed 2 weeks ago during my care.
  • Handling - As less as possible, and trying to let her take initiative, by opening her cage and lay down a branch. (not every day). I have noticed, she´s curious, so let her gain trust.
  • Feeding - As much variations as possible, with the basis of crickets. Feed her, Dubia's, Phoenix worms, Silk worms, Desert Locust and regular Locust, and as treat Wax worms. Gut-loading them with fresh veggie and fruit. Gave her everyday 5 till 7 feeders for the growing and now going to cut down to 5 feeders each other day (she starts to get chubby i think).
  • Supplements - Every feeding Repashy Calcium Plus and once a week Exo Terra Multi Vitamin.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Misting and fogging due the Chameleon Academy technique, drying out during the day and misting and fogging at night. 3 mistings a night and from 2 am each hour 15 min fogging. No dripper during the day. Never seen her drink!
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Just prefect poo, al white and slimy with consistent brown. Hydration method, as described above, works perfect.
  • History - Came from the wrong start. Too small cage, waterfall, fake plants etc. etc.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Hybrid screen cage 24'x24'x48' (Zoo Med), one side and back closed with a forex plate, forest printed. Other side partly closed.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zoo Med T5 Reptisun UVB / LED 14", Zoo Med Terrarium Hood 24" T5 bulb, Zoo Med Deep dome fixture. 75 watt light. Led light from 06:30 am till 7:30 pm, the rest from 07:00 am till 07:00 pm.
  • Temperature - Humidity Control. Night temp between 14 and 18 degrees. Daytime temp 21 degrees average cage temp and 28 degrees basking temp.
  • Humidity - Daytime around 50%, nighttime 85-95%
  • Plants - Only live plants. Devil Pothos, Umbrella plant, Spider plant, Lipstick Plant and many more. Still got some fake vines, which will be exchanged briefly for, like the rest, real branches.
  • Placement - And the corner, lifted from the floor, next the our couch. Sleeping above my head heights.
  • Location - The Netherlands
Current Problem - No real problem, except she getting too thick (changed feeding) and she will start laying eggs. This weekend we´ll place the laying bin.

ff.jpg

Her sleeping spot

err.jpg

During day time

fhfhfhhf.jpg

Front of the cage (and yessss the fake vines will be replaced :) ), also just testing the modified fogging tube, made it circular.

uzjr.jpg

Side view from couch

hhghg.jpg

Bella after 2 weeks in our care

Last edited:
I would add more horizontal branches at the bottom of the cage for her. Also, led lights are bad for chameleons eyes so I would remove that and stick to the UVB and basking. Some keepers have had problems with Repashy Calcium Plus. Just a few questions: Do you know how to properly set up a lay bin? Basking Temps and How far down is you highest branch?

Last edited:
I would add more horizontal branches at the bottom of the cage for her. Also, led lights are bad for chameleons eyes so I would remove that and stick to the UVB and basking. Some keepers have had problems with Repashy Calcium Plus. Just a few questions: Do you know how to properly set up a lay bin? Basking Temps and How far down is you highest branch?
Thank you for reacting. There are a lot of horizontal branches at the bottom, you can’t see them as good because of the foliage. Okay, didn’t know about the led light, will change that. Is just a switch. Also didn’t know about the Repashy Calcium Plus, gone change that. What kind of problems if I may ask?
Laying bin, got my information from the forum here and going to use it, thanks for asking. Would be around 6” down.

Okay, my question is already answered regarding the Repashy, just ordered the Arcardia EarthPro-A. Will provide the Calcium Plus only twice a month.

Thank you for reacting. There are a lot of horizontal branches at the bottom, you can’t see them as good because of the foliage. Okay, didn’t know about the led light, will change that. Is just a switch. Also didn’t know about the Repashy Calcium Plus, gone change that. What kind of problems if I may ask?
Laying bin, got my information from the forum here and going to use it, thanks for asking. Would be around 6” down.
Actually its colored leds that are a no no. Full spectrum white led plant lights are ok i believe . There are experienced keepers on here using them. @Klyde O'Scope can you weigh in on led lights?

Actually its colored leds that are a no no. Full spectrum white led plant lights are ok i believe . There are experienced keepers on here using them. @Klyde O'Scope can you weigh in on led lights?
Cheers, let me know. Like I said, it's only a switch also for the colored leds. Just want the best for her!
Hi, yes i was referring to the red leds i saw in the picture. They’re harmful to the chameleons eyes. Just wondering, What significance do they hold to you having them?

Hi, yes i was referring to the red leds i saw in the picture. They’re harmful to the chameleons eyes. Just wondering, What significance do they hold to you having them?
It’s combo led and UVB and the leds where for plant growth (like they advise it) could nowhere read anything about harmfulness, especially the red lights, for chameleons. It’s a shame that it’s all misleading everywhere and it’s only commercially. A small disclaimer couldn’t do any harm for keepers.

Oh ok, Its a plant light. Yes, its very sad that not many sources have incorrect information regarding chameleon care.
It’s combo led and UVB and the leds where for plant growth (like they advise it) could nowhere read anything about harmfulness, especially the red lights, for chameleons. It’s a shame that it’s all misleading everywhere and it’s only commercially. A small disclaimer couldn’t do any harm for keepers.

Last edited:
Red, blue, and sometimes yellow are used to "create"—or supplement—white light. In theory this is true, but IMO it's more marketing gimmick than improvement. (Ooh, pretty lights! :rolleyes::LOL:)
Here's an article explaining better than I could:
https://bioslighting.com/horticulture-lighting/grow-light-spectrum-led-plants/

What really matters is the balance of the spectrum produced for plant growth, and AFAIK, that can be achieved handily with white LEDs.

Red lights alone may be harmful (IDK—I haven't read the evidence). But white light contains red (and all the other colors), so if/when combined with other wavelengths, there should be little/no risk.

Red, blue, and sometimes yellow are used to "create"—or supplement—white light. In theory this is true, but IMO it's more marketing gimmick than improvement. (Ooh, pretty lights! :rolleyes::LOL:)
Here's an article explaining better than I could:
https://bioslighting.com/horticulture-lighting/grow-light-spectrum-led-plants/

What really matters is the balance of the spectrum produced for plant growth, and AFAIK, that can be achieved handily with white LEDs.
Thanks for answering. Something to read again 👍🏻

After some good advise here, I rearranged Bella's enclosure. Moved out the spanish moss and the 5 fake vines. Replaced it with real branches and a lot more then before. Placed behind the big log her laying bin for full privacy, once needed. Switched off the red led's and only using the white plants led´s. And vegetation keeps growing by the day. The updates are really rewarding, reflecting to her behaviour. All the plant pots are cocos organic pots, except the middle one from the umbrella plant. Damn COVID, couldn´t get an extra one, all sold out! Only upgrade coming, is the fogger tube. Going to replace it with PVC tubing all across the top, with a hole pattern to fill the enclosure with a fog screen. Because of the dense vegetation in the middle of the enclosure, it will form a kind of cloud during the night.

32.jpg
33.jpg
21.jpg

After some good advise here, I rearranged Bella's enclosure. Moved out the spanish moss and the 5 fake vines. Replaced it with real branches and a lot more then before. Placed behind the big log her laying bin for full privacy, once needed. Switched off the red led's and only using the white plants led´s. And vegetation keeps growing by the day. The updates are really rewarding, reflecting to her behaviour. All the plant pots are cocos organic pots, except the middle one from the umbrella plant. Damn COVID, couldn´t get an extra one, all sold out! Only upgrade coming, is the fogger tube. Going to replace it with PVC tubing all across the top, with a hole pattern to fill the enclosure with a fog screen. Because of the dense vegetation in the middle of the enclosure, it will form a kind of cloud during the night.

View attachment 293787View attachment 293788View attachment 293789
Amazing!

Thank you 👏🏻 And thanks to everyone out here, for spending their time giving us the good advise and sharing their trails and errors and experience. Started all wrong due wrong information on the internet and I’m very lucky to found this community and the Chameleon academy website. After all, we’re doing for the best interest of our beloved animals and for giving them the best life in captivity ✌🏻✌🏻

Noooo 😢 my baby girl just matured, way too soon. Showing her first recipe colours all the sudden. Nice light grey, blue en green spots. Already noticed her male hunt behaviour 😒

90ACAA30-9D0D-4047-9E8F-78A174F305F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom