Medicine Administering

Zoeb

So I need to give liquid calcium twice a day by syringe into the mouth but my clever veiled has learnt if she threatens me by gaping or hissing thats when she gets the medicine so now shuts her trap like a clamp so I cant do it. Yay for not getting bitten but nightmare for getting her better.

Any tips for getting this stuff in her mouth?

Shes not eatting so cant get it in via food.

Inject it into a hornworm if she’ll eat them. Where in the mouth are you inserting the calcium? Their windpipe is in the front and throat in the back, so make sure it’s far enough back when you administer the calcium. Have you tried putting your hand above her head to see if she’ll open up? If those don’t work, you’ll have to force feed her. Gently and carefully pry open her jaws and administer. I think there’s a Chameleon Breeder Podcast episode on it, along with countless YouTube videos

Cant buy hornworms in the uk. They are a considered an invasive pest.

Shes very clever. She wont even open up to bite my finger if i put it on her mouth or on her a head or above it. That was dead cert getting bitten before.

I will watch a video, i just worried i may hurt her forcing her jaw open

2D621755-1B4A-4906-A9D2-4244B7537F60.png

Cant buy hornworms in the uk. They are a considered an invasive pest.

Shes very clever. She wont even open up to bite my finger if i put it on her mouth or on her a head or above it. That was dead cert getting bitten before.

I will watch a video, i just worried i may hurt her forcing her jaw open
You could use any soft worm, like a silkworm or butterworm, as well, even a waxworm

You could use any soft worm, like a silkworm or butterworm, as well, even a waxworm
Wont touch. She will not eat which is what the problem is. Shes not getting the calcium via dusting but is using what she has in her bones to make eggs .
Vet said the fasting is likely to continue until she lays now.

Wont touch. She will not eat which is what the problem is. Shes not getting the calcium via dusting but is using what she has in her bones to make eggs .
Vet said the fasting is likely to continue until she lays now.
Force feeding her is the way to go then, sorry

Force feeding her is the way to go then, sorry
Yeah im getting that. Not pleasant though for either of us, but I keep telling myself she needs it.
Quite concerning that she fell the full height of the enclosure this morning after missing a branch, so put towels on the bottom now just in case.

May want to consider taking out some of the mid level branches and doubling the towels. A temporary hospital bin would be even better. If she hasn’t already broken some bones in that last fall she will soon. Low calcium also affects their motor controls, I’d bet she has another fall in the near future.

May want to consider taking out some of the mid level branches and doubling the towels. A temporary hospital bin would be even better. If she hasn’t already broken some bones in that last fall she will soon. Low calcium also affects their motor controls, I’d bet she has another fall in the near future.
I checked her over and seems no breaks but then again she look really healthy on the outside but just isnt inside.

Im assuming thats whats affecting her tongue too. She went to fire it last night it only came out half and missed, next time less only a few inches and missed again looking slightly puzzled. Then she must have thought im hungry and bit my partners finger by accident going for the hopper without tongue when he put it closer to help her out.

Ive dropped off poop samples today and got a follow up on the 12th with the same vet.

I checked her over and seems no breaks but then again she look really healthy on the outside but just isnt inside.

Im assuming thats whats affecting her tongue too. She went to fire it last night it only came out half and missed, next time less only a few inches and missed again looking slightly puzzled. Then she must have thought im hungry and bit my partners finger by accident going for the hopper without tongue when he put it closer to help her out.

Ive dropped off poop samples today and got a follow up on the 12th with the same vet.
Great!

....but what are you going to do to keep her from breaking bones?

Back
Top Bottom