Mbd ?

unknown91

hi, i got my baby juvenile veiled chameleon 2 weeks ago, and i don't think he's being taken good care of.
he looks ok i think, not skinny, no bones broken or not in their place, he eats a lot (up to 10 dubia/day + lots of mealworms), i have a UVB 5.0, 26W from exo-terra, i will buy him soon a UVA light as well (i have 30C constant so i thought he wouldn't need it)
the problem is his legs are very shaky, and it's not that tramble that all chameleons have, they're really shaking.
i went with him to the vet and he gave me a yellow thing to have him 0.2ml/day, for 10days (i assume it's calcium), but he didn't gave me an explanation as he was busy
it could be MBD ? and in this stage can it be solved ?
i will post pics if it's needed

What do you mean by shaking? Like he/she shakes back and forth while walking or twitches in his legs? Here is a link to one that talks about leg twitches and MBD: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/256120-shaking-trembling-chameleon.html
Here is a link that covers the shaking back and forth, mine does this big time when I take her outside and it really does help her look like a leaf!: http://www.repticzone.com/forums/Chameleons/messages/298892.html
I seriously hope your cham doesn't have MBD but if so from my understanding you caught it pretty early and it's definitely treatable. Make sure that your cham gets all food dusted with calcium, you say he is eating 10 dubia a day or more... GOOD, dust them all with calcium! Keep that up for a week. Keep the UVB pointed to where he can use the rays. This is how I would handle the situation, that doesn't mean I am giving you veterinarian quality advice. Also start gutloading feeders if you havent already.

as i said, it's not that back and forth 'shaking' that all (or almost) the chameleons have.

and i've read that thread yesterday and it's not that bad, he's not hanging his legs. he's doing just fine, he can climb and do stuff. just when he's trying to land his feet on something he does a little bit of shaking with the wrist (don't know how is it called)

sience i got him i gutload his 'meal'.
i give carrots, potatos and apples to the insects, and they devour it.
i dust with calcium every day, and i dusted with vitamins twice in 2 weeks.
the uvb light is about 15-20cm far to the highest branch (where he stands almost all the time)

Hopefully its just a little quirk that will go away in time. It sounds like you are intelligent and care enough to take good care of him. I know when I got my male from people that didn't take care of him I was constantly finding things that I thought were wrong then after a couple days he would stop showing the symptom. Sorry I couldn't help.

it's not about being intellinget, it's just that's i read a lot about how to care them.
i'm just mad that he was kept and bred by someone who supposedly knows what he does, and i found lots of problems.
thank you for the responses

Can I ask what's lots of mealworms? Mealworms aren't the best feeders and have a hard shell that can cause impaction problems. I would cut the meals or and change to silkworm or phenoix/reptiworms. These are much better for him.

just keep an eye

My panther dose this he very slightly wiggles his feet while standing on two legs vet said he was fine good balence and a strong grip (when he wants) nothing to worry about just somthing he dose...? They also sometimes reach for things that aren't there when they are looking the other way and the can get very clumsy just befor shedding its a lot of strain on there body to shed the can be lathargic grumpy off there food and uncodonated all normal as long as once they finish shedding they are back to normal lol

lots means like 10 (i know they aren't so good)
at first i gave him mealworms + crickets.
now i give him only dubia + 10 mealworms/2days or so, he likes them.
i will get some superworms too, and cut the mealworms (i'm out of them anyway)

and about the problem, i think it's something since my vet gave me some yellow liquid stuff and told me to see in 10 days.
he is very strong at his age, good grip and so, maybe i caught it early and it's ''fixable'

thank you for the responses

Buy the superworms in bulk. They will live forever on bran substrate with a little veggie or fruit for hydration. Feed the freshly molted white ones as much as possible. Will help prevent impaction. It is ok to feed some giant mealworms sometimes, once in a while. Make your crixand dubia the main feeders.

that's the plan, i will start breeding the dubia as soon as they turn adults, and these days i'm gonna buy some superworms, i wanted to give him once a week some wax worms too, but can't find in my country this kind of worms...

well, i am doing fine, but it's not about me, isn't it ?:)
i hope he will get well soon. or she ... not sure yet, posted some photos on general discussions
i'm from romania

Back
Top Bottom