MBD and need help taming

Mariahtbear

Hello, I have recently discovered my juvenile female veiled chameleon has MBD.. For the past few weeks I have been giving her calcium with no d3 everyday to try to help her ( I was uneducated and only gave her calcium with d3 twice a week) . We moved apartment a week ago and also switched her enclosure to a bigger one. Now she is deathly afraid of me and is a browny black colour. My question is how can I help my chameleon be less afraid of me? I am trying to help her but can barely get near her. I care very much about her so if anyone could give me some advice I would very much appreciate it. thanks!

Try to give her a bit more space. If you just moved a week ago and then your Cham switched habitats then your Cham is probably stressed. Give her time to get used to you and her new habitat. Hand feeding definitely helps especially if you hand feed her food she really enjoys. Try giving her a varied diet as well. If you can associate yourself with good things like food and treats your chameleon "might" grow tolerant, if not fond, of you. Overall I think the most important thing in taming is patience. Don't rush your Cham into getting used to you and make sure to give her lots of time.

I'm still a beginner when it comes to chams and this is just stuff that seems to be working with my new chameleon. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in.
:D:D

The quickest way to correct MBD is to take the chameleon to a vet to get shots of calcium and when the blood calcium levels are high enough to give it an injection of calcitonin to quickly draw the calcium back into the bones.

The next best option from my experience is to give it liquid calcium sandoz or gluconate.

Once you have the calcium levels back in balance its important to keep them there through good husbandry....proper supplements, lighting, temperatures and insect care.

Exposure to UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system. Appropriate temperatures aid in digestion and thus indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Dusting with calcium at most feedings helps to make up for the usually poor ratio of calcium to phos founding most of the feeder insects.

Supplementing twice a month with the vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that it gets its vitamins without overdosing the vitamin A. It leaves the owner in control of the prEformed vitamin A. PrOformed sources will not build up in the system like prEformed vitamin A will.

Dusting with a calcium/D3 powder twice a month ensures that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB.

Feeding/gutloading the insects well also helps.

Back
Top Bottom