Mbd and dehydrated veiled chameleon

Should I trim his nails a bit? They are getting rather long and sharp which is great for climbing but he just keeping gripping onto his own face and side trying to maneuver his arms and I'm afraid he'll puncture himself. Good or bad idea?

It's usually never recommended to trim a cham's nails as they usually manage the length on their own by climbing a variety of branches and vines. Yours is an interesting case since he can't climb, therefor can't wear down his nails on his own... I'm not sure what to recommend...Can you post a picture of his nails? Has he scratched himself yet?

It's usually never recommended to trim a cham's nails as they usually manage the length on their own by climbing a variety of branches and vines. Yours is an interesting case since he can't climb, therefor can't wear down his nails on his own... I'm not sure what to recommend...Can you post a picture of his nails? Has he scratched himself yet?
He's scratched himself a little bit but not much, he keeps grabbing at his side and face and getting stuck. Scratched the hell out of me but I don't mind too much

Attachments

• 20191129_201347.jpg
    20191129_201347.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20191129_201340.jpg
    20191129_201340.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 113
  • 20191129_201321.jpg
    20191129_201321.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 138
This grabbing at its own limbs it typical when a chameleon has such bad MBD. This will not stop until the calcium levels are back in balance and the bones and muscles have enough calcium to be somewhat normal again. (It's bones are soft and flexible and the muscles don't have enough calcium that the chameleon can control his muscles properly so it makes the movements uncontrolable.) How much liquid calcium are you giving it a day and what other supplements is it getting? Is it getting good UVB as well every day? You need to make sure it's within the proper proximity to the UVB source.

I applaud your caring for this little boy! Please keep quality of life in mind when making further decisions. Also, it’s unclear whether your vet is fully versed on chameleons: Veileds are easier to sex than puppies.

This grabbing at its own limbs it typical when a chameleon has such bad MBD. This will not stop until the calcium levels are back in balance and the bones and muscles have enough calcium to be somewhat normal again. (It's bones are soft and flexible and the muscles don't have enough calcium that the chameleon can control his muscles properly so it makes the movements uncontrolable.) How much liquid calcium are you giving it a day and what other supplements is it getting? Is it getting good UVB as well every day? You need to make sure it's within the proper proximity to the UVB source.
His calcium is .02 ml 2x a week and vit. A&D combo once every 2 weeks at .02 ml and yup plenty on the UVB and appropriate wattage for the tank he's in now. His new dripper is coming in tomorrow so hopefully that'll help with the dehydration and he's getting some new food coming in tomorrow too (hornworms and black fly larvae). The vet is a reptile vet so he should know his stuff (also the only reptile vet I can find who isn't an idiot. The vet before didn't even consider mbd)

I applaud your caring for this little boy! Please keep quality of life in mind when making further decisions. Also, it’s unclear whether your vet is fully versed on chameleons: Veileds are easier to sex than puppies.
Lol that was my bad, he never questioned that it was male or female and I never asked I just went by what I was told before (that he was a he) I didn't realize the spurs were a strictly dude thing at the time

As far as the trimming the nails thing goes, they don't look overly long for a chameleon. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

As far as the trimming the nails thing goes, they don't look overly long for a chameleon. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Even with going near his eyes? I'm probably just paranoid. An eye injury on top of everything would just break my heart but honestly the only way I could really prevent it is to make tiny mittens lol

The limb grabbing and whatnot should be resolved once his calcium levels and absorption are back where they need to be for proper muscle function. I would agree an eye injury would be no bueno, but I think once the other life-threatening issues going on are resolved, that will help with the side affects. (Although tiny mittens would be *very* cute)

The limb grabbing and whatnot should be resolved once his calcium levels and absorption are back where they need to be for proper muscle function. I would agree an eye injury would be no bueno, but I think once the other life-threatening issues going on are resolved, that will help with the side affects. (Although tiny mittens would be *very* cute)
So very tempted

You could knit him alittle strait jacket! that would be super cute too Smh or get him a little football helmet from those quarter machine's at the pizza place.. in all seriousness his limbs are contorted in such a way that he cannot avoid clawing at his own eyes so trimming his nails may actually be necessary in this case. Or soft tips of some kind like they make for cats, Maybe use beeswax

You could knit him alittle strait jacket! that would be super cute too Smh or get him a little football helmet from those quarter machine's at the pizza place.. in all seriousness his limbs are contorted in such a way that he cannot avoid clawing at his own eyes so trimming his nails may actually be necessary in this case. Or soft tips of some kind like they make for cats, Maybe use beeswax
If I can find it beeswax sounds like a good temp solution at least. Thanks for the idea

My heart is so heavy. I feel your anxiety. Your situation seems so much like mine. My little girl, Daisy is what I named her, came from a prev owner too. She was a veil, supposedly 4 months old, and I believe that is pretty close to accurate based on photos comparing. She didn’t have lighting for her :( had old large freeze dried crickets as her meals in a bowl, and a !!!!darn!!!! water bowl that had old dirty stains as if it evaporated. She had no branches to climb on, only the fake looking aquarium trees that could be for fish tanks, that appeared very old. My heart was broken just seeing her environment. It was May 18th when I got her and for my 12 year olds birthday, of course I knew she would be in my care and my supervision. Honestly cams were the only reptiles that I would consider. I didn’t want to hold them though. That all changed as she won my heart with her sweet lil face, personality, & nature.

Not surprising she wouldn’t eat the small living crickets I gave her or drinking from the dripper that the girl had as well but it was empty, dusty and of course couldn’t work in the glass aquarium she passed her along in. Of course I bought her a brand new condo with running water and electricity. The home had screen on all sides, uvb, day and night lights. My ignorance consulted with the Petsmart employee expert on the lighting for her new home which upon my further research wasn’t the correct wattage to reach where she hub out. I am completely against pet stores selling these amazing pets and the products without someone in that store that REALLY knows their stuff about the pets. I wish I found this forum sooner. I took her to the vet 5 days after having her because she wasn’t eating or drinking and I’m not dumb, I know every living thing needs food & water to live, pets and plants. This vet was 60 miles away and I’m 30 mins from DC you would think being near a huge city there would be more options but this was it! The vet told me my husbandry sounded good, she didn’t look dehydrated, gave her an IV , the powder & liquid calcium.

It was stressing daisy out to try to give her the calcium. He didn’t even show me how to they waived the emergency fee, but $490 was the charge for a few minted. He said she would take it from the syringe because it was good to them. She perked up, and ate only a few crickets over the next 4 days, so I took her back on an emergency. The diff vet did xrays to find a broken leg. So it was hard for her to hunt. She said the meds he gave wasn’t enough and to bump it up to .09 2x a week.. and the other bump up and showed the consistency to make it, and how to give it but she had trouble giving it to her and said she should start taking it herself. She told me to lower her branches (I didn’t think about the lighting needing to be changed, lowered etc, because my ignorance didn’t know about the inches range of the uvb bulb until October, I realllly felt horrible ) she didn’t cast her leg, gave her tramadol the amount the size of a tiny sprinkle rain drop that was no way to get all out the syringe, and IV again. vet bill was $670 (I had to pay for the entire treatment over from what the prev vet provided because it wasn’t right let this vet which wasn’t right to me, I was over $1,000 in just a few days).

Daisy did Get better, starting eating and I had to be un-humane and break the legs off the crickets so they couldn’t jump away from her and hand feed her. She only wanted what moved, it had to move for her to snatch it. so for the time the prev owner had her, unknown amount, there’s no way she everrrr ate and prob never ate at the store she got her at. My poor baby. I had to give her water from the tube from the dripper she couldn’t get to it and then wouldn’t touch it when she got better unless I gave it to her. She would go through spouts of not wanting to eat but would rarely turn down meal worms. I was ordering banded crickets for her after reading that they were better. Btw I asked about misting her I had read controversy info about and the vet said no they don’t like it. I had a Fogger set up and when it was on she would get far away from the fog cloud and would hate when I misted the cage so that made sense to me. She was growing, shedding every week, she got big and fat looking come October (That should make her 9 months old) and started roaming the cage wobbly though. I was concerned. I read about being gravid. I created the bucket for her. she stopped eating, didn’t want to drink. I couldn’t afford $1,000 vet bill trying to get on my feet as a cancer survivor and being out of work for a year and supporting 2 Preteen boys alone and since the vet was a waste of time minus the IV that helped increase her appetite.

Attachments

• 769CFBF3-DEBC-4302-866E-7B784FE2CFED.jpeg
    769CFBF3-DEBC-4302-866E-7B784FE2CFED.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 8EB8C60B-65F9-447D-8A44-F5787D75B202.jpeg
    8EB8C60B-65F9-447D-8A44-F5787D75B202.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 119
My heart is so heavy. I feel your anxiety. Your situation seems so much like mine. My little girl, Daisy is what I named her, came from a prev owner too. She was a veil, supposedly 4 months old, and I believe that is pretty close to accurate based on photos comparing. She didn’t have lighting for her :( had old large freeze dried crickets as her meals in a bowl, and a !!!!darn!!!! water bowl that had old dirty stains as if it evaporated. She had no branches to climb on, only the fake looking aquarium trees that could be for fish tanks, that appeared very old. My heart was broken just seeing her environment. It was May 18th when I got her and for my 12 year olds birthday, of course I knew she would be in my care and my supervision. Honestly cams were the only reptiles that I would consider. I didn’t want to hold them though. That all changed as she won my heart with her sweet lil face, personality, & nature.

Not surprising she wouldn’t eat the small living crickets I gave her or drinking from the dripper that the girl had as well but it was empty, dusty and of course couldn’t work in the glass aquarium she passed her along in. Of course I bought her a brand new condo with running water and electricity. The home had screen on all sides, uvb, day and night lights. My ignorance consulted with the Petsmart employee expert on the lighting for her new home which upon my further research wasn’t the correct wattage to reach where she hub out. I am completely against pet stores selling these amazing pets and the products without someone in that store that REALLY knows their stuff about the pets. I wish I found this forum sooner. I took her to the vet 5 days after having her because she wasn’t eating or drinking and I’m not dumb, I know every living thing needs food & water to live, pets and plants. This vet was 60 miles away and I’m 30 mins from DC you would think being near a huge city there would be more options but this was it! The vet told me my husbandry sounded good, she didn’t look dehydrated, gave her an IV , the powder & liquid calcium.

It was stressing daisy out to try to give her the calcium. He didn’t even show me how to they waived the emergency fee, but $490 was the charge for a few minted. He said she would take it from the syringe because it was good to them. She perked up, and ate only a few crickets over the next 4 days, so I took her back on an emergency. The diff vet did xrays to find a broken leg. So it was hard for her to hunt. She said the meds he gave wasn’t enough and to bump it up to .09 2x a week.. and the other bump up and showed the consistency to make it, and how to give it but she had trouble giving it to her and said she should start taking it herself. She told me to lower her branches (I didn’t think about the lighting needing to be changed, lowered etc, because my ignorance didn’t know about the inches range of the uvb bulb until October, I realllly felt horrible ) she didn’t cast her leg, gave her tramadol the amount the size of a tiny sprinkle rain drop that was no way to get all out the syringe, and IV again. vet bill was $670 (I had to pay for the entire treatment over from what the prev vet provided because it wasn’t right let this vet which wasn’t right to me, I was over $1,000 in just a few days).

Daisy did Get better, starting eating and I had to be un-humane and break the legs off the crickets so they couldn’t jump away from her and hand feed her. She only wanted what moved, it had to move for her to snatch it. so for the time the prev owner had her, unknown amount, there’s no way she everrrr ate and prob never ate at the store she got her at. My poor baby. I had to give her water from the tube from the dripper she couldn’t get to it and then wouldn’t touch it when she got better unless I gave it to her. She would go through spouts of not wanting to eat but would rarely turn down meal worms. I was ordering banded crickets for her after reading that they were better. Btw I asked about misting her I had read controversy info about and the vet said no they don’t like it. I had a Fogger set up and when it was on she would get far away from the fog cloud and would hate when I misted the cage so that made sense to me. She was growing, shedding every week, she got big and fat looking come October (That should make her 9 months old) and started roaming the cage wobbly though. I was concerned. I read about being gravid. I created the bucket for her. she stopped eating, didn’t want to drink. I couldn’t afford $1,000 vet bill trying to get on my feet as a cancer survivor and being out of work for a year and supporting 2 Preteen boys alone and since the vet was a waste of time minus the IV that helped increase her appetite.
I regret it so bad now for not taking her. She wasn’t eating like Normal which was 18-22 crickets a day and I’m thinking she’s egg bound because she was puffy. But since she wouldn’t touch the bucket.. she was Clumsy /wobbly while walking branches and I found her on the bottom of her house when I got home. She injured her other leg and the prev broken leg that healed strange which the vet said would be ok for her, and btw said she didn’t have MBD. Photos looked like it. I removed the bucket thinking maybe she didn’t need to lay and because she fell and hurt herself and thought it was because the bucket scared her she lost the puff (I’m an idiot). She took a meal worm finally and I got excited, but it took her a few tries to hit it. she finally had an elimination the next day which she wasn’t having.
note: She would do this twisting thing when she would eat back when she was better, like a snake does to move their food down their body and I thought it was normal reptile behavior, and would lean her head back After drinking water. I’ve read now and that doesn’t sound normal. One post I found said hers did it and she found it she had abdomen torsion a birth issue. :( making it hard to eat and digest improperly.
when I would take her out to give her calcium which would only be through the crack of the side of her mouth which stressed her, I would place her in a towel to make her comfortable and she seemed to love to lie in it while holding her. So I placed her in her home with the towel, and made a tunnel with the other side of the towel to provide protection and she laid there the entire night. I left it there, that became her spot. I placed towels all over the bottom, a live vine with long stems and leaves for coverage, with one of the pieces of a tree things you can get for their habitats for her to perch on, in case she moved which she would but always go back to the spot. I would put her in the vine to do cam things. She would still pull herself with her front... she wouldn’t eat, she would drink for me. I would place crickets with no jumping legs and she would look interested, but not take them. Nov 18 she demonstrated some heavy breathing. I made a vet appt online that night and the next day she was fine the next day. over the next 12 days She was starting to look small, dehydrated :( tho she would drink, and her legs looked horrible my heart was breaking! Here comes christmas, and paying medical bills, finishing my treatments, and house bills.. I had just spent $200 on new lighting that could reach her in her comfy spot and things for her habitat But i planned to take her to the vet today since I was off.
Wednesday night I went to give her water and place her to bed. She was in her little bed, with her head up and mouth open and breathing heavy.i observed her a bit and she was doing the twisting thing. I thought maybe she Actually finally just ate the cricket that was lose from the fight before and was moving the cricket down. i put my hand in, and she grabbed on my finger. I had to help her move around, she would latch on to the vine and want pull up on the log to perch and couldn’t pull herself up.m so I knew I had to assist her on my hand. She opened her mouth like in pain. My heart was breaking. I gave her a drop of water and it looked like it caused pain. I gave her tramadol, I got it down in her mouth this time and she perched on my shoulder with her little tail around my hoodie drawstring. She still had a great grip, her head was up, eyes open, looked strong. She seemed to be ok with breathing on my shoulder. But I placed her in the towel and she would do random mouth opens and make a noise and breathe heavy, like we do when we jog and our stomach /chest goes in and out. I went to place her in her home, I misted it like an idiot but she looked so dehydrated, she got misted, I turned on her heat lamp for just a few minutes wasn’t the best idea probably but I was worried about her getting cold, her night light was on when I found her with her mouth open. I was so worried about her, while she basked a little while she was perched on the tree piece and clamped on a vine with one arm.

I regret it so bad now for not taking her. She wasn’t eating like Normal which was 18-22 crickets a day and I’m thinking she’s egg bound because she was puffy. But since she wouldn’t touch the bucket.. she was Clumsy /wobbly while walking branches and I found her on the bottom of her house when I got home. She injured her other leg and the prev broken leg that healed strange which the vet said would be ok for her, and btw said she didn’t have MBD. Photos looked like it. I removed the bucket thinking maybe she didn’t need to lay and because she fell and hurt herself and thought it was because the bucket scared her she lost the puff (I’m an idiot). She took a meal worm finally and I got excited, but it took her a few tries to hit it. she finally had an elimination the next day which she wasn’t having.
note: She would do this twisting thing when she would eat back when she was better, like a snake does to move their food down their body and I thought it was normal reptile behavior, and would lean her head back After drinking water. I’ve read now and that doesn’t sound normal. One post I found said hers did it and she found it she had abdomen torsion a birth issue. :( making it hard to eat and digest improperly.
when I would take her out to give her calcium which would only be through the crack of the side of her mouth which stressed her, I would place her in a towel to make her comfortable and she seemed to love to lie in it while holding her. So I placed her in her home with the towel, and made a tunnel with the other side of the towel to provide protection and she laid there the entire night. I left it there, that became her spot. I placed towels all over the bottom, a live vine with long stems and leaves for coverage, with one of the pieces of a tree things you can get for their habitats for her to perch on, in case she moved which she would but always go back to the spot. I would put her in the vine to do cam things. She would still pull herself with her front... she wouldn’t eat, she would drink for me. I would place crickets with no jumping legs and she would look interested, but not take them. Nov 18 she demonstrated some heavy breathing. I made a vet appt online that night and the next day she was fine the next day. over the next 12 days She was starting to look small, dehydrated :( tho she would drink, and her legs looked horrible my heart was breaking! Here comes christmas, and paying medical bills, finishing my treatments, and house bills.. I had just spent $200 on new lighting that could reach her in her comfy spot and things for her habitat But i planned to take her to the vet today since I was off.
Wednesday night I went to give her water and place her to bed. She was in her little bed, with her head up and mouth open and breathing heavy.i observed her a bit and she was doing the twisting thing. I thought maybe she Actually finally just ate the cricket that was lose from the fight before and was moving the cricket down. i put my hand in, and she grabbed on my finger. I had to help her move around, she would latch on to the vine and want pull up on the log to perch and couldn’t pull herself up.m so I knew I had to assist her on my hand. She opened her mouth like in pain. My heart was breaking. I gave her a drop of water and it looked like it caused pain. I gave her tramadol, I got it down in her mouth this time and she perched on my shoulder with her little tail around my hoodie drawstring. She still had a great grip, her head was up, eyes open, looked strong. She seemed to be ok with breathing on my shoulder. But I placed her in the towel and she would do random mouth opens and make a noise and breathe heavy, like we do when we jog and our stomach /chest goes in and out. I went to place her in her home, I misted it like an idiot but she looked so dehydrated, she got misted, I turned on her heat lamp for just a few minutes wasn’t the best idea probably but I was worried about her getting cold, her night light was on when I found her with her mouth open. I was so worried about her, while she basked a little while she was perched on the tree piece and clamped on a vine with one arm.
I was worried about leaving her there, I took her with me to my room, I knew I had to cook thanksgiving in the morning but I stayed up with her until 5:30am I placed her in a tote beside my bed, in her towel so I wouldnt move her and cause pain and had her beside me to watch her and I was waiting for 8am to take her to the vet. I fell asleep on accident and checked her at woke up in a panic she was resting where she was when I placed her, her eyes were open. I fell asleep again whike setting my alarm just Incase and woke at 845am thinking I heard her crawl in the tote (same thing I did the night she was breathing heavy nov 18th, but never showed that symptom until this Wednesday night. I moved the think throw blanket off the top of the tote to keep draft out, and saw her tail peeking out but she had moved in the towel, my little girl was gone :( 2 hours after seeing her ... she took her last breath and passed with her eyes open. My thanksgiving started off horrrible. I lost my mom and grandma back to back in nov last year and my god mom /1st best friends mom the day before thanksgiving last year right after mom and grandma and now my daisy. I spent so much time with her. I feel so guilty. since she was so strong still with her latch and holding on my shoulder and since the symptom went away before, I didn’t think I would lose her... I knew she was uncomfortable.. I didn’t expect this. I thought I would make it to the vet .. of course an emergency visit. Being thanksgiving. I knew it wouldn’t be much good to take her before but the shot would have probably helped and just maybe they could have told me that she was egg bound. But I didn’t have much faith in the vet with the experience but they knew more than I. I was struggling with spending money that would go toward my boys that only I care for. I blamed myself for putting her beside me thinking maybe she got too cold, but I’ve done it before, I checked the temp with infrared and it was about 67.. it did get colder in my room that one morning out of no where (my boys room is always 10degrees hotter so i can’t set the therm over 69 or their room would be rough. As it’s been colder her home would be around 67-69 in the AM when I checked her and I was working on correcting that but I’ve read THATS not a terrible temp. Then I blamed myself because I misted her because she looked dehydrated more than ever, and thinkin that may be why she had her mouth open to after maybe eating since she was twisting, before coming to my room with her so maybe a temp up and down thing.... but maybe she had an RI ? I don’t know .. it doesn’t make since how she died 2 hours after looking sick but not deathly... my heart is broken, I failed her, I got her better and had her 5 months for this to happen. I was supposed to recuse her but, I failed her.
I was working on a vintage curio cabinet placing screen where glass is so I could put in the safe plants that looked like small trees and vine plants so she would have more room for when she got better. I have all this stuff, new lighting, an adult mister and I’m so guilty feeling and I miss my little girl that I failed that I don’t know if I should put another through what daisy went through. I spoke to a vet online who said she was bad off when I got her... but I got her better and she was so strong that she made 5 months with me. So I feel it was something I did, since she got better but then fell because prob her bouts of not eating a few days and would get down and then get back up. I pray I didn’t make her too cold In 2 hours, in my attempt to watch over her. before she passed she did pass urate on the towel, where she had moved to, and her face was kinda next to it so it’s not like she passed it bc she passed. She had to pass it and then move some more.. I regret not being there for her when she took her last breath. I noticed where she was laying when I fell asleep, it was a but damp the the towel, that was prob from trying to give her water and I didn’t notice it was damp like that, maybe she was cold and then moved to the dryer part if the towel :( but the fact that she could move before passing she was strong enough to do that. I just want to know so I never do the same thing if I can or should adopt again.

Daisy changed me. I love reptiles now. she would cuddle against my neck but they don’t cuddle ?! She would try to grab my hand With her little ale in hand wanting to climb on me when I put my hand in her home. I am really scolding myself for not taking her to the vet And for not doing more. I’m sure she would have never been able to climb correctly since the way her first break healed, I assumed her other would do the same. Does the beginning really affect them that much that it’s a a constant battle from there on? I’ve barely slept. No one understands! I mourned the entire thanksgiving day. Everyone said “it’s a lizard they don’t have feelings” —- wrong! I had a saltwater pair of clown fish for 15 years which are hard to keep and I cried when one passed. I’m sensitive and highly affected by loss. I wish there was a rewind button.

I was worried about leaving her there, I took her with me to my room, I knew I had to cook thanksgiving in the morning but I stayed up with her until 5:30am I placed her in a tote beside my bed, in her towel so I wouldnt move her and cause pain and had her beside me to watch her and I was waiting for 8am to take her to the vet. I fell asleep on accident and checked her at woke up in a panic she was resting where she was when I placed her, her eyes were open. I fell asleep again whike setting my alarm just Incase and woke at 845am thinking I heard her crawl in the tote (same thing I did the night she was breathing heavy nov 18th, but never showed that symptom until this Wednesday night. I moved the think throw blanket off the top of the tote to keep draft out, and saw her tail peeking out but she had moved in the towel, my little girl was gone :( 2 hours after seeing her ... she took her last breath and passed with her eyes open. My thanksgiving started off horrrible. I lost my mom and grandma back to back in nov last year and my god mom /1st best friends mom the day before thanksgiving last year right after mom and grandma and now my daisy. I spent so much time with her. I feel so guilty. since she was so strong still with her latch and holding on my shoulder and since the symptom went away before, I didn’t think I would lose her... I knew she was uncomfortable.. I didn’t expect this. I thought I would make it to the vet .. of course an emergency visit. Being thanksgiving. I knew it wouldn’t be much good to take her before but the shot would have probably helped and just maybe they could have told me that she was egg bound. But I didn’t have much faith in the vet with the experience but they knew more than I. I was struggling with spending money that would go toward my boys that only I care for. I blamed myself for putting her beside me thinking maybe she got too cold, but I’ve done it before, I checked the temp with infrared and it was about 67.. it did get colder in my room that one morning out of no where (my boys room is always 10degrees hotter so i can’t set the therm over 69 or their room would be rough. As it’s been colder her home would be around 67-69 in the AM when I checked her and I was working on correcting that but I’ve read THATS not a terrible temp. Then I blamed myself because I misted her because she looked dehydrated more than ever, and thinkin that may be why she had her mouth open to after maybe eating since she was twisting, before coming to my room with her so maybe a temp up and down thing.... but maybe she had an RI ? I don’t know .. it doesn’t make since how she died 2 hours after looking sick but not deathly... my heart is broken, I failed her, I got her better and had her 5 months for this to happen. I was supposed to recuse her but, I failed her.
I was working on a vintage curio cabinet placing screen where glass is so I could put in the safe plants that looked like small trees and vine plants so she would have more room for when she got better. I have all this stuff, new lighting, an adult mister and I’m so guilty feeling and I miss my little girl that I failed that I don’t know if I should put another through what daisy went through. I spoke to a vet online who said she was bad off when I got her... but I got her better and she was so strong that she made 5 months with me. So I feel it was something I did, since she got better but then fell because prob her bouts of not eating a few days and would get down and then get back up. I pray I didn’t make her too cold In 2 hours, in my attempt to watch over her. before she passed she did pass urate on the towel, where she had moved to, and her face was kinda next to it so it’s not like she passed it bc she passed. She had to pass it and then move some more.. I regret not being there for her when she took her last breath. I noticed where she was laying when I fell asleep, it was a but damp the the towel, that was prob from trying to give her water and I didn’t notice it was damp like that, maybe she was cold and then moved to the dryer part if the towel :( but the fact that she could move before passing she was strong enough to do that. I just want to know so I never do the same thing if I can or should adopt again.

Daisy changed me. I love reptiles now. she would cuddle against my neck but they don’t cuddle ?! She would try to grab my hand With her little ale in hand wanting to climb on me when I put my hand in her home. I am really scolding myself for not taking her to the vet And for not doing more. I’m sure she would have never been able to climb correctly since the way her first break healed, I assumed her other would do the same. Does the beginning really affect them that much that it’s a a constant battle from there on? I’ve barely slept. No one understands! I mourned the entire thanksgiving day. Everyone said “it’s a lizard they don’t have feelings” —- wrong! I had a saltwater pair of clown fish for 15 years which are hard to keep and I cried when one passed. I’m sensitive and highly affected by loss. I wish there was a rewind button.
If you’ve read this far, thank you for listening because no one else gets it! I’ve already been in depression with my illness and fear of Losing my battle and leaving my boys alone with no one and Then the financial issues that I fell in unable to work or get county benefits to help because my husband left when I was dx, before my mo man’s grandma passed, and I took care of my mom when I was dx. My kids exp the same losses. For that reason I didn’t tell them about my cancer then their own father leaving us after changing and becoming abusive to me and getting with the wrong crowd, was stealing my savings that I needed while not working and was a veteran that gets va benefits but wasn’t helping provide at all and since he has benefits I didn’t rate assistance being married. I dealt with paying for treatment or paying bills ..trying to keep stress down while almost losing our home and struggling to provide food for my kids and I wouldn’t eat until they did. I got daisy for my sons birthday because he wanted one for 3 years and I had just started working while finishing treatment so I was financially able to provide it for him. But failed by getting him a sick cam :( so he was let down that all the research I made him do before getting her, was nothing like what he expected. but always try to rescue before going the pet store route. I’m guilty for many reasons.

If the original poster is still reading this, please take him to the vet and get the IVs and give him love. He looks so much like my daisy. I attached photos of her and her condition with her mouth open before she left and posted it to “Justanswer” service which connects to vets and one relied at 1:44am with the basic questions about husbandry and photos and I replied and Didnt reply until 10am the next day after she passed. I wish she would have passed my question to another vet if she was ending for the night. I wanted to make her comfortable and do what was recommended. I didn’t think it was the end for her again because she was so strong still and alert. My heart.... just broken.

the photos of her perched and eating was Oct 25th :(. That is pretty much when she stopped eating :( I see how her arms look compared to healthy cams ... my poor baby :( I believe the vet would have just had me coming back worried - it becomes a money making thing and the only reptile vet in the area- an hour away...they didn’t have much compassion during the visits..kinda like the Response you get when taking a car to a mechanic. Since the 2nd vet she saw 5 days later didnt agree with her coworkers treatment plans but I was still charged.. I didn’t expect anything good. They acted like a broken bone was nothing and she even commented that she’s seen them with ribs and all legs broken and they live. But seeing daisys 1 leg after healing ... she was no longer a cam able to climb and hunt with confidence. She was constantly hanging while trying to grab a branch and I had them close.It’s so hard to look at the photos. I absolutely loved her.

Attachments

• BB5C9D95-B0F0-48ED-B645-B10B5E1E1226.png
    BB5C9D95-B0F0-48ED-B645-B10B5E1E1226.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • AB87777B-3D99-4853-AC2A-420DDF38490C.jpeg
    AB87777B-3D99-4853-AC2A-420DDF38490C.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 61A0D135-4677-410A-B62B-66709705981D.jpeg
    61A0D135-4677-410A-B62B-66709705981D.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 2E7913A6-ADC7-4D28-AEBD-0583215B84AB.jpeg
    2E7913A6-ADC7-4D28-AEBD-0583215B84AB.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 6864B5B9-6FFC-4F42-B5FC-2A4CFBFE3EF9.jpeg
    6864B5B9-6FFC-4F42-B5FC-2A4CFBFE3EF9.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 100
If you’ve read this far, thank you for listening because no one else gets it! I’ve already been in depression with my illness and fear of Losing my battle and leaving my boys alone with no one and Then the financial issues that I fell in unable to work or get county benefits to help because my husband left when I was dx, before my mo man’s grandma passed, and I took care of my mom when I was dx. My kids exp the same losses. For that reason I didn’t tell them about my cancer then their own father leaving us after changing and becoming abusive to me and getting with the wrong crowd, was stealing my savings that I needed while not working and was a veteran that gets va benefits but wasn’t helping provide at all and since he has benefits I didn’t rate assistance being married. I dealt with paying for treatment or paying bills ..trying to keep stress down while almost losing our home and struggling to provide food for my kids and I wouldn’t eat until they did. I got daisy for my sons birthday because he wanted one for 3 years and I had just started working while finishing treatment so I was financially able to provide it for him. But failed by getting him a sick cam :( so he was let down that all the research I made him do before getting her, was nothing like what he expected. but always try to rescue before going the pet store route. I’m guilty for many reasons.

If the original poster is still reading this, please take him to the vet and get the IVs and give him love. He looks so much like my daisy. I attached photos of her and her condition with her mouth open before she left and posted it to “Justanswer” service which connects to vets and one relied at 1:44am with the basic questions about husbandry and photos and I replied and Didnt reply until 10am the next day after she passed. I wish she would have passed my question to another vet if she was ending for the night. I wanted to make her comfortable and do what was recommended. I didn’t think it was the end for her again because she was so strong still and alert. My heart.... just broken.

the photos of her perched and eating was Oct 25th :(. That is pretty much when she stopped eating :( I see how her arms look compared to healthy cams ... my poor baby :( I believe the vet would have just had me coming back worried - it becomes a money making thing and the only reptile vet in the area- an hour away...they didn’t have much compassion during the visits..kinda like the Response you get when taking a car to a mechanic. Since the 2nd vet she saw 5 days later didnt agree with her coworkers treatment plans but I was still charged.. I didn’t expect anything good. They acted like a broken bone was nothing and she even commented that she’s seen them with ribs and all legs broken and they live. But seeing daisys 1 leg after healing ... she was no longer a cam able to climb and hunt with confidence. She was constantly hanging while trying to grab a branch and I had them close.It’s so hard to look at the photos. I absolutely loved her.
I really hope this little guy doesn't quit on me. I'm scheduling a follow up appointment to see about an iv and if he needs to up dosage on vitamins. He's been staying plenty warm at least and I'm getting different food for him today so hopefully he'll eat again. Doing fairly well for the shape he was in at least but not as well as I would like. His dripper is hopefully coming in today too. I'm pregnant and just started a job at a hospital...not a good combo. Keep seeing people die and stupidly getting attached to some of them but I know hormones have some part in that (I spent the last 2 night crying myself to sleep about a patient getting worse) definitely not a job to start while pregnant....and him dying would hurt even more (more of an critter person than people person). The bearded dragon that was owned by the same guy is doing better at least. So I'll try and look at that as a win but this guy seems to like cuddling up too. He goes up my neck kinda in my hair and snoozes. When my husband isn't around he'll pretty much snooze anywhere on me. I think it's just because husbands uniform is dark and lil dude isn't a fan of dark clothes. He seems to like green, tan, orange and spotted the best lol. He is just so chill and calm with me. He actually bit my sister when she tried to pick him up but has no issues with me at all. Doesn't even puff up unless it's super early in the morning and I just woke him up for meds lol. I really wasn't planning on keeping him. I was just a way station to a more experienced home but couldn't find anyone and got attached. My sister runs a reptile rescue and is full up so she can't take him (she took in the beardy since my apartment definitely wouldn't allow her in....punks)

So, the hornworms I got are fairly big. Would it be wise to cut them in half? And do I need to cut off the horn? Black fly larvae were all dead so I went to get crickets and will just have to...de-leg them

Back
Top Bottom