Mbd and dehydrated veiled chameleon

So, the hornworms I got are fairly big. Would it be wise to cut them in half? And do I need to cut off the horn? Black fly larvae were all dead so I went to get crickets and will just have to...de-leg them
Oops nevermind on removing horn. I forgot they are soft..I even used to raise them for a garden....I feel dumb. Still going to cut the larger ones though. His head just seems so small in comparison

Definitely go with the little dripper. Put a plant under it to catch the water.
Waxworms are high in fat and not a good staple feeder. Attaching feeder sheet for you.
View attachment 252258
Gah! I forgot to get a plant to go with it. The dripper came in and setting it up now but I had to go to the pet store since the black fly larvae were dead upon arrival. He's not going for the hornworms or legless crickets but I think he just needs some time with it. Maybe I could pry his mouth and stick one in. His previous owner only fed mealworms so he may not even realize it's food. Can't believe I forgot the plant while I was out though -.-

So I'll try and look at that as a win but this guy seems to like cuddling up too. He goes up my neck kinda in my hair and snoozes. When my husband isn't around he'll pretty much snooze anywhere on me.

So sleeping and cuddling is not normal chameleon behavior. It is actually seen as a sign of severe stress. Chameleons are not snuggly animals like beardies. Instead, they get so stressed out that they "give up on life" and start to shutdown and close their eyes. We humans interpret this as affection and snuggling but it's actually the complete opposite. I would refrain from any sort of snuggling or cuddles and leave the chameleon alone to do its best to heal.

So, the hornworms I got are fairly big. Would it be wise to cut them in half? And do I need to cut off the horn? Black fly larvae were all dead so I went to get crickets and will just have to...de-leg them

How big are they? Usually chams can take down bigger hornworms since they are squishy but they can also get pretty beefy and if they are too big, they would be harmful to feed to him. If you cut them in half, they'll die and your cham won't be interested. They only eat live, moving food. No need to cut the horn off.

So sleeping and cuddling is not normal chameleon behavior. It is actually seen as a sign of severe stress. Chameleons are not snuggly animals like beardies. Instead, they get so stressed out that they "give up on life" and start to shutdown and close their eyes. We humans interpret this as affection and snuggling but it's actually the complete opposite. I would refrain from any sort of snuggling or cuddles and leave the chameleon alone to do its best to heal.

How big are they? Usually chams can take down bigger hornworms since they are squishy but they can also get pretty beefy and if they are too big, they would be harmful to feed to him. If you cut them in half, they'll die and your cham won't be interested. They only eat live, moving food. No need to cut the horn off.
Oh...well now I'm just sad. I try to only take him out for meds and water but sometimes it takes a while and he'll nap in between. I thought it was mostly because I'm warm and hair looks kinda like vines to hide in killin my happy buzz here. I gave him the smallest one. These others are fairly big though

Attachments

• 15751452486084423903523247495557.jpg
    15751452486084423903523247495557.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 88

I kinda thought cutting them was a bad move :/ I might just have to go to another store. The ones there were even bigger

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Just trying to give you all the facts. Chameleons don't take naps and it's usually very concerning if they do. Means something is wrong and they are shutting down. Please keep handling to a minimum.

The general rule of thumb is no food wider than their head but hornworms are the exception since they are so squishy. You'll have to use your best judgement since I can't see the size comparison in person :/ But those worms don't look too big to me. They'll get 3x that size.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Just trying to give you all the facts. Chameleons don't take naps and it's usually very concerning if they do. Means something is wrong and they are shutting down. Please keep handling to a minimum.

The general rule of thumb is no food wider than their head but hornworms are the exception since they are so squishy. You'll have to use your best judgement since I can't see the size comparison in person :/ But those worms don't look too big to me. They'll get 3x that size.
Would it be the circumference or length of hornworm? Lol thought about that after but don't want to bother him just after he ate.

I do appreciate even the bad news. It's good to know what to look for whether happy or sad news. He has been napping a lot but there's also nothing for him to do. Maybe I should put little toys or something in there just for him to mess with?

Circumference of the worm.

A chameleon is not an animal that takes naps. If he is taking a lot of naps, you have a very serious problem. That is one of the tell-tale signs of a chameleon that only has a few days to live. They are giving up and shutting down.

Please don't add any toys. (I don't even know what you are considering as a toy). A healthy chameleon will be totally content with never being bothered, and just climbing branches and vines all day. Chameleons aren't very exciting animals in their day-to-day lives and don't do much besides climb, stand in one spot, climb some more, stay still, eat, drink, and poop. He really needs to be left alone besides his meds so that he can heal.

A chameleon is not an animal that takes naps. If he is taking a lot of naps, you have a very serious problem. That is one of the tell-tale signs of a chameleon that only has a few days to live. They are giving up and shutting down.

Please don't add any toys. (I don't even know what you are considering as a toy). A healthy chameleon will be totally content with never being bothered, and just climbing branches and vines all day. Chameleons aren't very exciting animals in their day-to-day lives and don't do much besides climb, stand in one spot, climb some more, stay still, eat, drink, and poop. He really needs to be left alone besides his meds so that he can heal.
Just got him set up with the dripper and all. He's had his meds and I put in a couple sad crickets and hornworms for food. I'll leave him be and see how he does. Now I feel extra bad. I thought he was doing better. He's more active and such but without vines to climb around on he just seems to find a comfy spot and snooze. I'm starting to think euthanasia would be the most humane thing to do but I'll give him another week and see if he improves with better food and water access

Just got him set up with the dripper and all. He's had his meds and I put in a couple sad crickets and hornworms for food. I'll leave him be and see how he does. Now I feel extra bad. I thought he was doing better. He's more active and such but without vines to climb around on he just seems to find a comfy spot and snooze. I'm starting to think euthanasia would be the most humane thing to do but I'll give him another week and see if he improves with better food and water access
One thing I didn't think of is with the anti-Inflammatory it does cause drowsiness. He got his last dose of it today so he may perk up in the next few days off of it. It could just be that. Hopefully it is...

(The toy which was actually just going to be a couple sticks or something laying on the ground to kind of maneuver with was because I figured he must be bored but ya I guess they aren't exactly exciting)

Anoles are similar they close their eyes and prepare to be eaten once captured Or hope that playing dead will thwart any further predation. Most all lizards have what is known as a parietal scale or eye! Beards and iguanas have very pronounced "third eye" on thier forehead betwixt their eyes. When you pet an iguana or bearded dragons forehead you block out the light causing it to instinctively close their eyes and prepare for sleep. Some larger lizard species seem to actually enjoy a good rub specially after a shed. Chameleons are definitely not a hands on cuddle bug of a lizard they are to be admired from below.

Anoles are similar they close their eyes and prepare to be eaten once captured Or hope that playing dead will thwart any further predation. Most all lizards have what is known as a parietal scale or eye! Beards and iguanas have very pronounced "third eye" on thier forehead betwixt their eyes. When you pet an iguana or bearded dragons forehead you block out the light causing it to instinctively close their eyes and prepare for sleep. Some larger lizard species seem to actually enjoy a good rub specially after a shed. Chameleons are definitely not a hands on cuddle bug of a lizard they are to be admired from below.
Gotcha, I had forgotten his meds probably had part in his sleeping a lot. The anti-inflammatory does cause drowsiness so it honestly might just be that. I'm going to hope so but I won't handle him unless I need to

@Persephone said..."Maybe I could pry his mouth and stick one in"...please don't do this. In his condition you might break his jaw. Better to drip water very slowly on the end of his nose and when he starts opening and shutting his mouth to drink slip a cricket BETWEEN his teeth so he bites down on it.

Also....what temperature is it in the cage where he keeps falling asleep? You don't want to bake him but you want the temperature to be warm enough for him to digest his food, etc. He can't likely move out of the heat because of his condition so you have to be careful.

Having him out of the cage will make him cool off and not be helpful to his recovery.

@Persephone said..."Maybe I could pry his mouth and stick one in"...please don't do this. In his condition you might break his jaw. Better to drip water very slowly on the end of his nose and when he starts opening and shutting his mouth to drink slip a cricket BETWEEN his teeth so he bites down on it.

Also....what temperature is it in the cage where he keeps falling asleep? You don't want to bake him but you want the temperature to be warm enough for him to digest his food, etc. He can't likely move out of the heat because of his condition so you have to be careful.

Having him out of the cage will make him cool off and not be helpful to his recovery.
Ya wasn't really gonna pry his mouth open. The vet said I'd have to for the meds till he got used to it and showed me the "safest" way but he's good at just taking them now. That was a worst case scenario just so he could realize its food but he's eating anyway so all good. His temp during the day stays about 80, sometimes more like 75 and at night is bout 72 to 75

Pop the head off a meal worm or take one of the hornworms that you cut in half and put the guts to his lips. He may react to it as he does with water. If he does then either feed the body of the insect or squeeze the entrails into his mouth

I
Pop the head off a meal worm or take one of the hornworms that you cut in half and put the guts to his lips. He may react to it as he does with water. If he does the either feed the body of the insect or squeeze the entrails into his mouth
I just wasn't patient enough

Back
Top Bottom