Maybe getting a chameleon...

SuperFastSlug

Hey everyone. Right now, I have 1.0.0 Mountain Horned Dragon, 2.0.0 Whites Tree Frogs, 1.0.0 crested gecko, and 0.0.2 PDFs, and after doing tons of research, I've decided on getting a veiled chameleon. However, I realize that they are extremely delicate animals, and would like to be fully prepared before my purchase. So I would like to have a few questions I have answered please.

1. Substrate. I've read many different care sheets/forums/articles, and everyone seems to have a different opinion about substrate. Would any coconut fiber withdrainage layer substrate be safe at all? Or should I just go with paper towels/repticarpet?

2. Should I keep them in an advanced vivarium with running water, or just keep it simple with potted plants and sticks?

3. I'm getting a baby, so should I provide a temporary setup in a 10 gallon aquarium with a screen lid, or just put it straight in a 24x24x48?

4. How do the handling procedures go when transferring them in and out of the enclosure?

5. I will be here mostly everyday to take care of him (I'm getting a male) but how can I ensure the health of my veiled if I'm away for a week or so

6. And lastly, any helpful tips to a new chameleon owner?

Thank you!

Hey everyone. Right now, I have 1.0.0 Mountain Horned Dragon, 2.0.0 Whites Tree Frogs, 1.0.0 crested gecko, and 0.0.2 PDFs, and after doing tons of research, I've decided on getting a veiled chameleon. However, I realize that they are extremely delicate animals, and would like to be fully prepared before my purchase. So I would like to have a few questions I have answered please.

1. Substrate. I've read many different care sheets/forums/articles, and everyone seems to have a different opinion about substrate. Would any coconut fiber withdrainage layer substrate be safe at all? Or should I just go with paper towels/repticarpet?
You do not want anything loose that could possibly be eaten and something that is easy to clean. Most people leave the cage bottom bare and use the plastic bottom the screen cage comes with. You can also use paper towels to soak up any excess water but these need to be changed almost daily.
2. Should I keep them in an advanced vivarium with running water, or just keep it simple with potted plants and sticks?
The best cages have a variety of live plants with lots of sticks and walkways for the chameleon. I wouldnt do a waterfall type thing with running water but you will need to mist and use a ripper system to keep the chameleon hydrated.
3. I'm getting a baby, so should I provide a temporary setup in a 10 gallon aquarium with a screen lid, or just put it straight in a 24x24x48?
Aquariums even with screen lids are not a good way to house chameleons. You are best to get a smaller screen cage and then to move him into his larger cage for the rest of his life. It depends how big the chameleon is as to whether he can go straight into his adult cage.
4. How do the handling procedures go when transferring them in and out of the enclosure?
If you have to handle him to move him the best ting is to try and coax him onto your hand but if you do not have to hold him then wait until they walk onto you otherwise leave them be. they will let you know when they want to come out.

5. I will be here mostly everyday to take care of him (I'm getting a male) but how can I ensure the health of my veiled if I'm away for a week or so
Somebody would have to come in and feed and mist him
6. And lastly, any helpful tips to a new chameleon owner?
Research is key with chameleons, the more you do the better.
Thank you!

answers in red :D:D

I agree with the answers above. I see you are not asking the 2 most important questions: lighting and nutrition.

It seems to me veileds will tolerate a wide range of care as long as they are getting proper nutrition and uvb along with a proper basking spot.

Read the chameleon care resources on this site. It has been written and reviewed by long time keepers, breeders, researchers, and veterinarians. Your not likely to find a better, more reliable resource. Once you've spent a few days reading it ask for clarifications where unclear.

Most of the answers you get will just be parrots of the info there without as much detail.

I agree with the answers above. I see you are not asking the 2 most important questions: lighting and nutrition.

It seems to me veileds will tolerate a wide range of care as long as they are getting proper nutrition and uvb along with a proper basking spot.

Read the chameleon care resources on this site. It has been written and reviewed by long time keepers, breeders, researchers, and veterinarians. Your not likely to find a better, more reliable resource. Once you've spent a few days reading it ask for clarifications where unclear.

Most of the answers you get will just be parrots of the info there without as much detail.

Thank you, but i just wanted a final opinion on these topics. I've got heating lighting nutrition etc. But people seem to have different opinions about these so I wanted a final opinion from here. Thanks for the help! Much appreciate! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Here is the resource that Dan is talking about: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/
It's a phenomenal resource, and should answer pretty much all your questions. And then we're happy to answer any you still have.

There is also a veiled-specific caresheet that will talk about all the relevant info for them, such as ideal temps, feeding amounts, cage sizes, etc.

answers in red :D:D

1.Ok great. I'll use paper towels as substrate. Everyone seems to have different opinions on this, so I wanted a final opinion here.

2. Alright cool. Less work for me! Already have other vivatiums I need to maintain.

3. Ok, that's what I thought.

4. Don't worry, I know these guys are a look, don't touch animal, so I was asking for cage maintenance purposes, BUT, I didn't know they like to come out at all? How will I know they want to come out?

5.okay, I think I have somebody willing to do it. I was just asking if there was any way to automate the care for a while or something, but that's what I figured.

6.Ive done plenty of it, and still doing more! Thank you for the help!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Here is the resource that Dan is talking about: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/
It's a phenomenal resource, and should answer pretty much all your questions. And then we're happy to answer any you still have.

There is also a veiled-specific caresheet that will talk about all the relevant info for them, such as ideal temps, feeding amounts, cage sizes, etc.

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at that.

You could definitely automate the care to a certain extent. You can get the lights on a timer, so they go on and off on their own, and there are professional misting systems that come with timers, so you can set them to mist as long as you want as often as you want throughout the week. So you could have at least the lighting and water on a timer.

At that point, at least with an adult, you'd really only need someone to drop by 1-2 times during a 7 day period to place food in the cage. Perhaps refill the water reserovoir if needed. Adults can eat every 1-3 days (and could technically go longer without issue) but a young animal shouldn't be left that long without food.

You could definitely automate the care to a certain extent. You can get the lights on a timer, so they go on and off on their own, and there are professional misting systems that come with timers, so you can set them to mist as long as you want as often as you want throughout the week. So you could have at least the lighting and water on a timer.

At that point, at least with an adult, you'd really only need someone to drop by 1-2 times during a 7 day period to place food in the cage. Perhaps refill the water reserovoir if needed. Adults can eat every 1-3 days (and could technically go longer without issue) but a young animal shouldn't be left that long without food.

Perfect. I might have someone that would be willing to help me out with that when I'm gone, and the drip/misting system will help a lot. but like I said, I will be able to care for him mostly everyday. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom