Material to cover a few sides of screened cage?

ColorChanginClick

Hey, I've tried searching but it's hard to search exactly what I'm looking for in a search box as it is hard to condense without losing the point haha. ANYWAY, I'm curious as to what some of you use to cover a few sides of your screened cages, in this case for visual obstruction as well as to keep Stephen King's mist from creeping out onto my tv :D. I was thinking landscape fabric or weed barrier would work nicely as it would still be somewhat "breateable" and would do well being wet. Thanks, and sorry if this has been adressed I just haven't been able to find it.

Hi, im levi, With my chameleon (Im new to this) so i dont know if its right i used this stuff we got at home depot... Called "Pet Screen" They call it... its like a plastic kinda fibreglass material? Im not really sure, but we also have metal at the top, its called 1/8th inch wire... its like chicken wire but an 1/8th of an inch... thats just cause the crickets got out the top... :)

Sorry if im not much of a help, And Good Luck with "stephen King" ;) Love the name..

HAHAH, the chams name isn't stephen king but damn wish I had thought of it thats great, maybe I'll use the name of one of his many female characters for my next cham lol. I was just using the reference from his movie The Mist (pretty good though far-fetched). Searched home depot's sight and saw the fiberglass screen rolls they have but they are heavily priced. Any other suggestions?

Thanks NewOwner

Dont think so, Sorry... Uhmm... Trying to think what else... Ours was about 25 bucks for 2 rolls, whick covered my 3 foot high, by 3 feet by 2.5 foot cage.. So im not sure as to what else could work... :) haha i just started with my first cham on christ,mas... :) Hes cute, and explores lots lol... hes just in with "Pet Screen" its called... Uhm, but yes i am not sure what else would work... Good luck ;)

I don't "enclose" sides but I do attach plastic squares to the side of cages. I use Velcro that you can buy anywhere that has an adhesive side. Attach one side of the Velcro to my cage (one on each corner) and the other to a square of 3 mil plastic cut to the same size as the cage's side. When the chams are in a row they can't see each other and it helps maintain a bit of humidity. I'm it sure would come to the rescue of the TV from "The Mist"...great book BTW. :p

I'll take pictures tomorrow if you like.

Yuo may lose some of the ventilation, but as long as you keep the front and top open you should be fine. With my setups I've sealed basically two sides.

A few things you can use. Plastic cardboard like you use for signs. Typically 15.00 for a 4'x8' sheet. I've also heard of people using shower curtains.

Thanks for the tips, deb by not "enclosing" the sides do you mean you leave like say a quarter inch of space (more or less) between the cover and the side of the cage?

Silver: I thought about those as well but I'm trying to find something that is *slightly* permeable/breathable and less obtrusive.

And just to clarify, it is ONLY for the actual sides of the cage in other words the two sides perpendicular to the door (front). Im basically looking to have two cages next to each other, obviously don't want them to see each other and would also like to avoid the water on the tv (pioneer plasma, I take better care of it then myself haha) and would prefer the material to be light and like I said slightly breathable

Ill see if home depot and lowes have a better selection in store and hopefully cheaper than what they have online

Here's a completely untested thought (I'm bored)

Go to any consignment, thrift, goodwill etc. store and purchase a cheap but durable 24 x 36 (or larger) wooden framed mirror/print/etc. You are after the frame - not the art :) Remove the backing, matting, glass etc - you should now just have a great wooden frame. Obtain cheap window screen from Home Depot/Lowes, etc and cut a section of screen to fit the inside of your frame and staple inside. Cut and staple 3-5 more layers of screen however each time offset the next layer a bit so as to slightly overlap and obscure the previous screens openings. After 3-4 layers you should have a divider that obscures/distorts enough for the cham but is permeable per your request - hang on the outside of one of the enclosures.

Thanks klangford, a little bit of work but arts n crafts never hurt anyone (although I still laugh to this day when in elementary school they would CAUTION to watch any glitter as it might get in your eye.. FOREVER) Ill have to look into that tomorrow when I get a chance to look around for materials, the layered screens would be perfect. thanks again

Fabric stores carry every breathable print you could want, use the velcro idea from Deb. You could get a jungle print!
Also, if you are getting another cage the same size, you could save some money by buying a 4 foot fixture from home depot for about $9.00 and span both cages. Nice setup!

CHEERS!!!:D

Thanks klangford, a little bit of work but arts n crafts never hurt anyone (although I still laugh to this day when in elementary school they would CAUTION to watch any glitter as it might get in your eye.. FOREVER) Ill have to look into that tomorrow when I get a chance to look around for materials, the layered screens would be perfect. thanks again

Glitter is the herpes of arts & crafts supplies, you NEVER get rid of glitter :D

the second cage is smaller, for a young female carpet which hopefully will be sneaking around in it by tuesday :D:D
I didn't even think of a fabric store :rolleyes:. thanks for the tip.

I have fabric around my cages for a visual barrier. I buy really cheap really thin fabric, like a Joanns Fabrics cause I can pick the pattern and still get airflow to some degree. It seems to work well. I just wash it when I clean cages.

I dont quite understand what you are wanting? I use a black garbage bag on the backside of mine to keep the misting from hitting the wall and leaving that runny look down them. Mine is a black mesh cage and the back is up against the wall so no one knows any wiser..:) Is that what you mean? Just to keep water from going everywhere?

i recently went to home depot or lowes and bought 2x4 sheets of white plastic they use for ceiling tile lights. I use velcro to attach it to the cages on the back as well as 1 side between cages. This stops the mist from hitting my carpet or walls, blocks the site line of the chameleons and has not affected the ventilation as it is a somewhat loose fit. it also only takes a second to remove it and then you can just wipe it down.

I actually just taped black trash bags to 3 sides. When they are new,they fit perfectly, they are good visual barrers, they make colours of my chams stand out more and keep humidity and water inside the cage.

I actually just taped black trash bags to 3 sides. When they are new,they fit perfectly, they are good visual barrers, they make colours of my chams stand out more and keep humidity and water inside the cage.

You ran and did that after I suggested it, didnt you.:) LOL...

I got several plastic cardboard from a local sign shop since the craft store only had 16x20 or smaller panels. It is nice and lightweight. And if the interior corrigation start getting nasty, spray it down with a bleach solution and air it out for a day.

Back
Top Bottom