Mantis Ooths. What do you do with these things?

andrearamirezo91

Avid Member
I've been trying to look into different options to expand my chameleon's diet as he seems to be getting hooked on super worms. I've seen some people feed their chams mantis. Is this recommended? I saw this being sold on one of our sponsors' website and it seemed like a good deal. $10 for like 250 nymphs. My question is... they mail you this... ooth... and then what? :cautious:

https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/product-page/chinese-mantis-ooth-cup

I use these for my hatchlings, they work great. All you have to do is find a dry-ish spot in your viv, stick it on a branch and forget about it. Its really that simple. They hatch on their own. Of course if you wanted to let them grow some so you could feed them to an adult cham things get a bit more complicated but as far as hatching them they couldn't be easier. Id absolutely recommend them to anybody looking to diversify their chams diet!

I use these for my hatchlings, they work great. All you have to do is find a dry-ish spot in your viv, stick it on a branch and forget about it. Its really that simple. They hatch on their own. Of course if you wanted to let them grow some so you could feed them to an adult cham things get a bit more complicated but as far as hatching them they couldn't be easier. Id absolutely recommend them to anybody looking to diversify their chams diet!

For a 10 month cham I’d obviously have to let them grow a little right? Is it too complicated? Gonna do some research and look into it. I think the pricing is pretty good. Thank you for always being so helpful

For a 10 month cham I’d obviously have to let them grow a little right? Is it too complicated? Gonna do some research and look into it. I think the pricing is pretty good. Thank you for always being so helpful
The only reason I don’t raise them is because the are insectivores too, they do not eat plant matter. So I feel like it’s kind of a waste to feed feeder insects to another feeder insect. I think most people who keep them feed them ladybugs, but I think ladybugs are somewhat toxic to chams so I don’t think that translates too well. Another issue is they are canabalistic. If you raise them together and they get the slightest bit hungry they will eat their brothers and sisters!

I don’t know if you’ve seen where we feed the big ones to our chams but those are some that we actually catch locally. Same with the egg cases we hatch for our hatchlings, they are all over the place down here this time of year. We caught all these.
73FF22E4-3072-4BA1-90A8-3CF0EBC885F7.jpeg
25FDB6A1-6073-4AAC-92B0-5768D137D279.jpeg
270D685B-432D-4832-9B13-84B249D96605.jpeg
20A4D59A-CDE4-4E8F-8855-0DEFA257FCAF.jpeg
9713175A-34E2-49F5-B878-16D490C2B2B4.jpeg

Holy crap! :eek:

None of those bite? I don't know why but I grew up with the perception that mantis bite and are aggressive. Having a chameleon has really made me step out of my comfort zone when it comes to bugs lol... I've always loved animals but insects sketch me out... you never know if they're chilling or plotting to fly right at your face and bite you on the eyeball... :cautious:

None of those bite? I don't know why but I grew up with the perception that mantis bite and are aggressive. Having a chameleon has really made me step out of my comfort zone when it comes to bugs lol... I've always loved animals but insects sketch me out... you never know if they're chilling or plotting to fly right at your face and bite you on the eyeball... :cautious:

Lol I hear you on the plotting!
They only bite if you try to grab them. I treat them the same way I treat a cham who isn’t too keen on being handled. Never grab, just put your hands down around them and use one hand to force them to walk onto the other.

Messed that last post up some how...

Lol I hear you on the plotting!
They only bite if you try to grab them. I treat them the same way I treat a cham who isn’t too keen on being handled. Never grab, just put your hands down around them and use one hand to force them to walk onto the other

Putting together a set up? They are $14 at Walmart.

I'm thinking of doing that and see what I find. I've seen 2 or 3 different types of grasshoppers here, but haven't had much luck finding katydids. I know there are katydids in central Texas but I just haven't seen found them.

Luckily, I have one or two 10 gallon terrariums laying around.

I'm thinking of doing that and see what I find. I've seen 2 or 3 different types of grasshoppers here, but haven't had much luck finding katydids. I know there are katydids in central Texas but I just haven't seen found them.

Luckily, I have one or two 10 gallon terrariums laying around.
You have to catch them at night. Hey you a headlight and go walk along the edge of the tree long or a tall field of grass. For whatever reason they freeze in the headlight and won’t try to escape as you approach.

What you saw in that tank took about 20min to catch, I’m in southeast Louisiana. You’d be surprised by the sheer volume of feeders you can find at night that you never even knew were in your area. We catch about 5 kinds of grasshoppers, praying mantis, and 100s of different kinds of moths. Saves a lot of $ on feeders and is a great way to diversify your chams diet.

Back
Top Bottom