Male Panther has turned grey. What can I do?

Good. But you also get t5 compact bulbs that is why I asked
T5 is a bulb type designation, like T8, T12, and CFL (compact Fluorescent). There is no T5 compact bulb. You can either have a T5 fluorescent bulb or a Compact fluorescent bulb, NOT both combined. T5, T8, and T12 are all Linear bulbs, the higher the number the larger and less efficient the bulb. Compact fluorescent are the "curly" bulbs we have all seen, and are not recommended and are less efficient than T5.

Sorry if this came off as preachy, not my intent. I have been keeping reptiles and reef aquariums for many years and have used virtually every type of lighting made. Including Power compacts, T5, T8, T12, CFL, LED, Halogen, Metal Halide, Mercury Vapor, etc. While I am not an "EXPERT", I have picked up some lighting knowledge along the way.

T5 is a bulb type designation, like T8, T12, and CFL (compact Fluorescent). There is no T5 compact bulb.
Um.. yes there is. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Light-Bulbs-CFL-Bulbs/T5/N-5yc1vZbmatZ1z0vvq7?storeSelection=

"T" designation refers only to bulb diameter in 1/8" increments. T5=5/8"

Good. But you also get t5 compact bulbs that is why I asked
Not in HO and not UVB, TMK. AFAIK, HO applies only to linear bulbs. BICBW
There are only 2 major brands of T5HO UVB; Reptisun and Arcadia.
Neither has a designation T5HO CFL.

Um.. yes there is. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Light-Bulbs-CFL-Bulbs/T5/N-5yc1vZbmatZ1z0vvq7?storeSelection=

"T" designation refers only to bulb diameter in 1/8" increments. T5=5/8"

Not in HO and not UVB, TMK. AFAIK, HO applies only to linear bulbs. BICBW
There are only 2 major brands of T5HO UVB; Reptisun and Arcadia.
Neither has a designation T5HO CFL.
I stand corrected on that one. There is a T5 CFL bulb, but NONE that are a UVB bulb (AFAIK).

20210417_165224.jpg

Not so fast... That's hype by an eBay seller—not anything from Arcadia.
Going to the mfr. https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/reflectors/
checking the specs, and magnifying the images of those bulbs, there is no mention of T5 or HO.

Alibaba has also been known to engage in a little click-baiting as well,
so I'm beginning to have doubts about those claims as well.

Well, there you have it. Looks like LLL Reptile carries them as well. It seems you really do learn something new every day! :)
Is this the page? http://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/184-compact-fluorescent-uvb-bulbs
No T5 or HO there either.

Last edited:
Not so fast... That's hype by an eBay seller—not anything from Arcadia.
Going to the mfr. https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/reflectors/
checking the specs, and magnifying the images of those bulbs, there is no mention of T5 or HO.

Alibaba has also been known to engage in a little click-baiting as well,
so I'm beginning to have doubts about those claims as well.

Is this the page? http://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/184-compact-fluorescent-uvb-bulbs
No T5 or HO there either.
You are correct that Arcadia says nothing about it being T5, however LLL does in the description of the bulb (not HO though).
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/37348-arcadia-d3-7-uvb-compact-bulb

It strikes me as odd that none of the other CFL bulbs they sell have that designation, and since Arcadia doesn't say that anywhere, I have to wonder if it's a mistake. IDK.

It strikes me as odd that none of the other CFL bulbs they sell have that designation, and since Arcadia doesn't say that anywhere, I have to wonder if it's a mistake. IDK.
The world may never know. :)

Now, Back to the original purpose of this thread...

I know it is still too early to say definitively, but I believe natural sunlight may be a big factor in Chuck's current coloration. As I said earlier, he had been kept in my bedroom with almost NO natural light. Other than the lights on his cage, the room was dark 99% of the time. About a week ago I moved him to the kitchen, in front of a window with lots of natural, indirect, sun light. I had not noticed a change in his colors since the move, though its only been a week.

Then this morning, I was able to get him to come out of his cage and took him out back for some nice sun time. We stayed out for about 20 minutes before it was too warm and he was ready to go back in. In that time he began to show some colors, mostly on his face, and you could see his bard had a little deep red to them. He kept some of these colors even after going back inside, though not a pronounced. I will continue to take him out when possible, which is tough here for the next 6 months, and see if things continue to improve.

20210417_103757.jpg

20210417_103339.jpg

My male panther would “loose his mojo” every year from March till about June. I figured it was a lack of natural sunlight during the winter, and being reintroduced to it in late April/May threw him off. For sure a hormonal type of deal. His appetite would fade slightly during this time as well. But usually as the temps outside rose, his colors would start to pop again.

I know it is still too early to say definitively, but I believe natural sunlight may be a big factor in Chuck's current coloration. As I said earlier, he had been kept in my bedroom with almost NO natural light. Other than the lights on his cage, the room was dark 99% of the time. About a week ago I moved him to the kitchen, in front of a window with lots of natural, indirect, sun light. I had not noticed a change in his colors since the move, though its only been a week.

Then this morning, I was able to get him to come out of his cage and took him out back for some nice sun time. We stayed out for about 20 minutes before it was too warm and he was ready to go back in. In that time he began to show some colors, mostly on his face, and you could see his bard had a little deep red to them. He kept some of these colors even after going back inside, though not a pronounced. I will continue to take him out when possible, which is tough here for the next 6 months, and see if things continue to improve.
It sounds like you could be on to something, and IDT what you're trying can do any harm.

I'm not sure just being by the window would make a huge difference. If your basking and/or plant lights are full spectrum, the only other thing that can get through the window (AFAIK) is IR; the UV spectrum won't make it through the glass.

My little guy isn't old enough yet (7 mo.) and his colors are just beginning to manifest, which makes each day kinda fun seeing what shows up. His enclosure is at right angles to the front box window, and he loves looking out; we think this because he spends a lot of time on the side where he can see out (vs. the other side where he can't). OTOH, this week he's been exploring parts of the enclosure he's never been in before, so... 🤷‍♂️

It sounds like you could be on to something, and IDT what you're trying can do any harm.

I'm not sure just being by the window would make a huge difference. If your basking and/or plant lights are full spectrum, the only other thing that can get through the window (AFAIK) is IR; the UV spectrum won't make it through the glass.

My little guy isn't old enough yet (7 mo.) and his colors are just beginning to manifest, which makes each day kinda fun seeing what shows up. His enclosure is at right angles to the front box window, and he loves looking out; we think this because he spends a lot of time on the side where he can see out (vs. the other side where he can't). OTOH, this week he's been exploring parts of the enclosure he's never been in before, so... 🤷‍♂️
I know that UV is unable to penetrate the glass and I don't attribute any possible improvement to added natural UV exposure. Rather I see it as as being similar to human behavior. When we are cooped up in a small space even with lights, we can become antsy and depressed. Getting outside into the fresh air and sunlight, can quickly improve our mood. Perhaps there is a similar aspect for Chuck. Being kept in a dark room, all he could see, all he knew, was his little corner, but being in front of the window, gives him natural light, lights up the entire enclosure and room, and allows him to peer into the world around him.

Ultimately, I don't suspect the window will do a lot for his color, but I am hopeful that the increased feeding, lower basking temp, and increased outside time will help. Hopefully I will see marked improvement in the coming weeks/months.

I know that UV is unable to penetrate the glass and I don't attribute any possible improvement to added natural UV exposure. Rather I see it as as being similar to human behavior. When we are cooped up in a small space even with lights, we can become antsy and depressed. Getting outside into the fresh air and sunlight, can quickly improve our mood. Perhaps there is a similar aspect for Chuck. Being kept in a dark room, all he could see, all he knew, was his little corner, but being in front of the window, gives him natural light, lights up the entire enclosure and room, and allows him to peer into the world around him.

Ultimately, I don't suspect the window will do a lot for his color, but I am hopeful that the increased feeding, lower basking temp, and increased outside time will help. Hopefully I will see marked improvement in the coming weeks/months.
That part I get. As I mentioned, mine does seem to like that window.

My beardie likes being put in a (different) window as well when he's out with the Missus. She sits in front of her sewing machine (in front of the window) while crocheting or whatever, and he runs around or sits on the sill looking out. By the time he goes back in his enclosure, he's pretty satiated and takes a long nap under his mountain.

With so many variables, it may be difficult to tell exactly what will help his color (thinking positive here). 🤞

Well, It has been one week since I started this thread, and what a difference. After months of little to no color, Chuck is starting to get it back. His colors are still not vibrant, but they are a HUGE improvement over a week ago. I am still sticking to my theory that his color loss was primarily due to a lack of natural light.

I have also increased his food intake. I am currently feeding him 5 days a week, about 6-8 large crickets per day. Hopefully, I will continue to see improvement in the coming weeks. I will continue to update here with the progress.

Here are a couple pictures taken while outside today, in natural sunlight, followed by some back in his cage.

20210423_112833.jpg

20210423_112945.jpg

20210423_113216.jpg

20210423_113218.jpg

Another week gone by and Chuck has made some more improvement, His colors are getting better all the time, and he has gained a little weight due to the increased feedings. I have started taking him outside for natural sunlight at least once each weekend. It is going to be more difficult for the next few months due to the summer heat here in Phoenix, but I will continue whenever temps permit.

Question: At what point should I cut back on the feeding for Chuck. Right now I am feeding him 5 days a week, 6-8 large crickets. His weight has improved, but I don't want to overdo it and cause him to become obese. He is just barely 1 yr old.

Now for some pics. Took him out for some sun this morning and got some new pics. You can see that he is starting to get some blues and yellows back, YAY :)

20210430_100724.jpg
20210430_101119.jpg
20210430_101155.jpg
20210430_101343.jpg

Vs his color just a few weeks ago:

20210416_094714.jpg

Back
Top Bottom