MALE or FEMALE?

Keep in mind that "he" is pale because he's gettin ready for bed. So the tail base definitely looks like a girl?

Yeah, its a girl. As was said a pretty one too. Although I am sure you wanted a boy. I would contact the breeder and see what they can do for you. If they are reputable they will probably just give you a discount on another animals since you have had it so long.

Yeah, its a girl. As was said a pretty one too. Although I am sure you wanted a boy. I would contact the breeder and see what they can do for you. If they are reputable they will probably just give you a discount on another animals since you have had it so long.

It's a tough situation. We really were set on a male and I don't think it's feasible for me to have another cham right now even if it was free due to the money/space involved in building another setup. At the same time I'm quite attached to this chameleon so exchanging it or finding a new home for it isn't feasible either. There's no good solution to that. Maybe I'll be able to get another in a few years.

I am with jann, it appears you already love her so relax and enjoy. Do contact the breeder and see what they can do - maybe supplies, etc?

I agree with Laurie. I would contact them and tell them you are attached and want to keep her but you had wanted a male and it was their mistake to send you a female and maybe they will send you something. It's worth a try.

BTW She's a beautiful little girl.

Keep her and love her. Little girls deserve good homes too.

I wasn't planning on doing otherwise, but now I'm gonna have egg issues that I'll always be stressing about, wondering if she laid them all properly.

And then there is the matter of the name...

I think the name could go either way. :) My daughter has a bunch of panther girls.....she use to breed before she started grad school and now she keeps them the same way you would the veiled girls and most of hers never even have eggs and the ones that do have very small clutches. I'll get you the link for raising the female veiled. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

At about 6 months just cut back the food and the heat.

i would contact the breeder and let them know of their mistake. If you play your cards right and the store has good customer service, you should be able to get a gift certificate at the least out of them. :p

Not to sound greedy but maybe you can suggest returning her for the male you wanted to the breeder and then bring up that you actually are attached. From what I have read females typically sell for less than males so perhaps you are owed a refund of sorts. I would ask for a store gift certificate so you can get some cool accessories off of his mistake and the store won't really be losing out on money.

It's a tough situation. We really were set on a male and I don't think it's feasible for me to have another cham right now even if it was free due to the money/space involved in building another setup. At the same time I'm quite attached to this chameleon so exchanging it or finding a new home for it isn't feasible either. There's no good solution to that. Maybe I'll be able to get another in a few years.

I have to agree with Jann and Laurie!!! I was also sent a female for my first panther. Even after getting a few males, breeding and raising up quite a few clutches of babies I was still more attached to her than any of the males or offspring. Yeah, males might have more colors but females are just as pretty IMO. How can you go wrong with a pink and sherbert colored chameleon:D The females also seem to have a different disposition than the males. Dealing with eggs is not really that hard provided you know what to look for, your female stays healthy and on a restricted diet.

Wow, I am NOT happy with this breeder. I had sent an email just explaining that I cared for this cham a lot but it was a huge deal that I didn't get what I wanted because I can probably only have one right now. Their response was that I could send her back and be credited what I paid (ie: the cost of a 3 month cham), and then pay the difference for whatever male I wanted that they had in stock. So basically they were so magnanimous as to try to make "amends" for this by offering to buy my 5.5* month old female for the price of a 3 month old female, actually turning a profit off of it. Never mind that I've spent the last couple months really stressed about this cham's health, and now have to choose to either not have the cham I wanted or get rid of a pet I love (I'm keeping her no matter what btw). Has me in the mood to lawyer up and really stick it to them based on principle. Brings me right back to my first internship in law school when I worked in a small plaintiff's firm and they would take all these random, unusual small cases and hand them over to me.

*Oh and the 5.5 months is if it was actually 3+ months old when I got it. I think it was probably more like a 2-2.5 month old...basically I think they sent a cham younger than claimed and are now whining about how hard they are to sex when young.

Well I'm glad you are keeping her. My daughter's first chameleon, over 6 years ago was a female panther, Jillian and we loved her very much. I still have her picture on my frig and she's been gone for a while.

BTW You could put this on Fauna.

Last edited:
thats not rite at all an seems to be happening more an more lately thats why i stick to breeders i trust cause if that kind of mistake happens they make it rite not rip you you just cause they cant tell the differnce in what there selling to people, its really pretty sad if you ask me. id say if your goin to sell chams that you breed you should have better customer service when you send people THE WRONG SEX cham.. If this breeder wont make it rite in your eyes go make a thread on fauna boi, ive hadto before it helps get it resolved or atleast other people can see it an choose not to get a cham from a breeder that cant even tell the sex of there chams...
ps... whinein bout how hard it is to sex a baby cham? i see some can sex them rite out of the egg, an yes sometimes it can happen but with a few breeders it happens alot imho

Well I'm glad you are keeping her. My daughter's first chameleon, over 6 years ago was a female panther, Jillian and we lover her very much. I still have her picture on my frig and she's been gone for a while.

BTW You could put this on Fauna.

Well you especially should know how much and how long I've wanted a cham. It wasn't too hard to become super-attached to this one, especially with her being a picky eater who likes free-range crickets to run on specific vines, and me positioning them each day to her liking. My wife loves this cham too, so she has a good home here. If I sent her back she could end up anywhere, and I can't accept that.

I probably will put this on fauna and other places after I've finished discussing things with the breeder. You have more leverage before you publicize something than after the damage is done though, so I'm providing an opportunity for them to rethink the initial approach. I had expected them to offer something underwhelming but at least remotely reasonable. What they actually offered offended me and I let them know that, so I'll wait to see what they respond with.

They came back with an offer to swap for a male with them paying shipping, or a generous refund. Both are fair so I will not be pursuing this any further. Jigsaw already has a home so I took the refund. The only way I'd even consider letting her go is to a local, experienced keeper, and that's not happening since I have no plans to go out and actively solicit a buyer. So, it looks like I may be a couple years away from owning a male panther as the situation stands. My wife is very clear that she likes the chameleon we already have.

Back
Top Bottom