Male or Female?

Ag.parks

Hi! I'm new to the forums and I recently got a chameleon! He's about 4-5 months old and I can't seem to tell if he's a male or female. I'm pretty sure that he's a male but since I'm new I wanted to make sure. I got him from PetSmart and they told me that all of their shipments should have been female but since he's a baby it's hard to tell whether that is correct. He is very healthy, he loves to explore his cage, he eats all of his foods, etc. But I don't know his gender! Can anyone tell? P.s. The picture quality is horrible I'm sorry! He's not really used to me yet so I try to take them when he's sleeping or when he's calm. :)

Attachments

• 48A021E3-7746-4FE3-9F7D-966518ED988B.JPG
    48A021E3-7746-4FE3-9F7D-966518ED988B.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7852.PNG
    IMG_7852.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7937.jpg
    IMG_7937.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7858.jpg
    IMG_7858.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 55
Hard to tell from the pics you posted. But if you look at the back feet and see a little spur/bump, it’s a male. No bump means female. Hope that helps.

It would also be worth having someone look over your husbandry to make sure PetSmart didn’t misinform you. When you can, please fill out the questions below in as much detail as possible. Just want to make sure your new little one is good to go :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

It would also be worth having someone look over your husbandry to make sure PetSmart didn’t misinform you. When you can, please fill out the questions below in as much detail as possible. Just want to make sure your new little one is good to go :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon. Around 4-6 months old. Unknown gender. Been in my care for a week.
  • Handling - Only handled him once, it was when I was putting him in his terrarium.
  • Feeding - Crickets. Larger crickets so I feed him around 3 a day. I let them roam until he eats them. I feed them veggies such as collard greens, i also feed them fruits like bananas.
  • Supplements - Repricalcium without D3. About twice a week i dust the crickets with it.
  • Watering - Im hand-spraying until I can get a misting system. I have also made a dripper myself. I mist 3 times a day. Yes.
  • Fecal Description - Brown and white, tiny bit of yellow on the urates but since then I’ve added more water to the cage. Not sure if he’s been tested.
  • History - No previous information.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage. 16” x 16” x 30” (or 41 x 41 x 76 cm)
  • Lighting - Reptibreeze zoomed tropical UVB and heat lighting kit. 8am-8pm.
  • Temperature - 86-90 degrees during the day. 70-73 degrees. The kit I got came with a thermometer.
  • Humidity - Not sure about these questions yet, I’m going back to PetSmart to get a humidity gauge.
  • Plants - No live plants.
  • Placement - Next to my window. Its near an air vent but not too close to where it makes the cage cooler. It’s about 2 feet above the floor.
  • Location - Southern America. Humid in the summer, freezing in the winter.
Hope i answered these correctly! I will give an update on the humidity and I will try to find out the history of him.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon. Around 4-6 months old. Unknown gender. Been in my care for a week.
  • Handling - Only handled him once, it was when I was putting him in his terrarium.
  • Feeding - Crickets. Larger crickets so I feed him around 3 a day. I let them roam until he eats them. I feed them veggies such as collard greens, i also feed them fruits like bananas.
  • Supplements - Repricalcium without D3. About twice a week i dust the crickets with it.
  • Watering - Im hand-spraying until I can get a misting system. I have also made a dripper myself. I mist 3 times a day. Yes.
  • Fecal Description - Brown and white, tiny bit of yellow on the urates but since then I’ve added more water to the cage. Not sure if he’s been tested.
Cage Info:
  • Temperature - 86-90 degrees during the day. 70-73 degrees. The kit I got came with a thermometer.
  • Humidity - Not sure about these questions yet, I’m going back to PetSmart to get a humidity gauge.
  • Placement - Next to my window. Its near an air vent but not too close to where it makes the cage cooler. It’s about 2 feet above the floor.
Hope i answered these correctly! I will give an update on the humidity and I will try to find out the history of him.
I got it confirmed, he’s a boy!

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:

Youre going to want a bigger cage. 24x24x48 minimum. If you can wider though id go wider. Wider is better than taller generally.

Back
Top Bottom