Male/Female?

Ozzie2011

Is there a way to tell male from female when the babies are only about 3 inches long? If so how do you tell? I either want to get a male Veil or male Panther when I go to the Repticon Show this coming weekend, that is if there are any available. Thank you:D

Is there a way to tell male from female when the babies are only about 3 inches long? If so how do you tell? I either want to get a male Veil or male Panther when I go to the Repticon Show this coming weekend, that is if there are any available. Thank you:D

I dunno bout panthers, but male veils have tarsal spurs. little bumps on the back of the back feet. its harder when they are younger, but if you look carefully, you may be able to see it.

male veilds have the little spurs on the back of their heels on their back feet. The male panthers is more trying to figure out by thier vent area if they have somewhat of a bulge or not. Sometimes that can be tricky!

Panthers can be tricky, if you havent looked at alot. And have the memory to compare back too. But you need try try and see a bump around the vent area or right behind it. Or a thick area around the base of the tail. But this is not always a garrentee. Some seasoned breeders have sexed them wrong. So you will just have to trust the person that you buy them from. Its more of a gamble with panthers than it is veilds. Which can be sexed at birth.

Im sure someone can show you pictures. But its exactly as it sounds. Its a Spur on their back legs. Of the males. If I had a veild I would take a pic. I only have panthers. lol Good luck on your cham shopping at the show.

Panthers can be sexed right out of the egg also. It can be tricky though but seeing them in person makes it much easier. If you pic from a group of them go with the one with the thickest tail base you can see. Often young males will be gray and less colorful than females until a certain age/size. This is not always the case though but if you pick an animal out with the thickest tailbase and he is grayish in color chances are you got a male. The breeder should be able to sex them properly though. You can always go with a 4 to 6 month old that should be very evident that its a male.

There is a thread on how to sex baby panthers but I am too lazy to look for it:rolleyes: If this is your first cham you wont want a baby anyway though. Get a well started one no less than 3 months old.

We will be at the Repticon Show

We will be at the repticon show this weekend with baby veiled and we would gladly show you first hand the bump and the back of the males feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be bringing six sexed pairs of veiled chameleons so we will have some but not alot. We will be right at the front of the show with a Big Reptiles Etcetera Banner.

Taron
Reptiles Etcetera

Back
Top Bottom