Male BB ambilone at reptile store... priced too high?

So there is a male blue bared ambilobe at the reptile store near me. he is around 1 1/2 years old. He has been there for a long time and I am wondering, is he priced too high? His price is $399. He's a beautiful animal but I feel bad because she is in a screened viv that is a bit on the small side. He is very sweet though, hand fed.

You can get ones that you know are taken care of properly for half the price from site sponsors and other hobby breeders here.

Yeah that's what I though. I guess that's why no one is buying him. I'm not getting another but I just feel bad that no one buys him.

Animal pricing, especially in chameleons is usually due to genetics.

The higher quality the animal, the more expensive it will cost. Purchasing from a breeder is usually less expensive because the breeder pockets the money. Purchasing from a pet store costs a lot more because they owe money to the breeder, but at the same time must make a profit.

Usually pet stores buy low quality animals, they are not really looking to sell to experienced keepers. This also means they pay less for the animal and thus make more profit. To top it off the animal is usually in squalid conditions - chameleons especially.

It is very sad to walk into the store and see some animal that looks abused and lonely, and the gut feeling to do the proper thing and buy it usually sets in. But just remember if you want such an animal, buying direct from a high quality breeder will give you a better animal at a lower cost. Not purchasing from the pet store also sends the message that you will not support their practices. We all know that if you bought their chameleon it is just incentive to stock more chameleons and they too will be kept in those same squalid conditions.

While it is a very sad story for that one, not purchasing him prevents the same treatment for many others.

S.F

The owner of this store is actually very knowledgeable of reptiles and many of his own reptiles free range through the store, including his Melleri. The ambilobe is not in poor conditions it is just sad that he has to stay there. His cage is okay for his size but it would be nice if he could have a larger one. He is misted a few times daily and sheds fine. He looks very healthy too and I do not think he came from bad lines. I know that he was shipped from a breeder, I will have to ask who.

Back
Top Bottom