male and female ??

mypanthercham

I have recently purchased one male and one female panther chameleon. They are 1 year and 3 months old.. I know that they need to be separated Im in the process of buying the female a new tank. But the male seems to not be doing anything at all he just sits there all day clutching on to his twig..? Also today I took my female out she was fine but then my sister took the male out, the female then starting turning from peach to peach with black bars I put her back in the tank but when she saw the male out of the tank her throat swelled up and her tail stuck out pin straight, what does this mean?
After 10 minutes my sister put the male back in the tank (this was his first time out) the female at the moment was sitting on his branch so he climbed over to her and started trying to push her off and tried to climb over her .. While she was swelling up I put a piece of card board in between them and the female went off to the other side of the tank still black and peach??

Please reply ASAP ..
Many thanks

You need to seperate them NOW. Are they both 1yr and 3 months old? or a 1yr old and a 3 months old? They are both stressed out by the sight of each other. Do not put them back in the same cage. It sound like the female does not want to mate and is telling the male by showing the dark colors. Also, I would stop handling them if you just got them. They are probably stressed out enough with the whole situation.

You need to seperate them NOW. Are they both 1yr and 3 months old? or a 1yr old and a 3 months old? They are both stressed out by the sight of each other. Do not put them back in the same cage. It sound like the female does not want to mate and is telling the male by showing the dark colors. Also, I would stop handling them if you just got them. They are probably stressed out enough with the whole situation.
They are both 1 year and 3 months old .. The female likes coming out when we stick our hands in she climbs up our arms but sometimes when we try to put her back she won't let us put her back in we then have to pick her up and place her on a branch. The aggression between them has never happened before is this just a one off or is she never going to want to mate with him??

Many thanks

They are both 1 year and 3 months old .. The female likes coming out when we stick our hands in she climbs up our arms but sometimes when we try to put her back she won't let us put her back in we then have to pick her up and place her on a branch. The aggression between them has never happened before is this just a one off or is she never going to want to mate with him??

Many thanks

Yes you need to separate them ASAP. The Female is CLEARLY stressed out and needs to be separated immediately. It's not to say she will never want to mate, but clearly she wants nothing to do with it right now. She could eventually start biting/attacking the male if this continues.

There is a good chance that if you have kept them together they have already mated and she is now showing those colors because she is gravid(pregnant). This tells the male to back off. Are you prepared for egg laying. Do you have a laying bin? Chameleons should never be housed together. They are solitary creatures. In extreme, rare cases they will get along like two males. Having a female and male together should only be to breed and that is it. Females can also lay eggs without being mated, so a laying bin is a must. After about 6 months of age they can lay eggs.

There is a good chance that if you have kept them together they have already mated and she is now showing those colors because she is gravid(pregnant). This tells the male to back off. Are you prepared for egg laying. Do you have a laying bin? Chameleons should never be housed together. They are solitary creatures. In extreme, rare cases they will get along like two males. Having a female and male together should only be to breed and that is it. Females can also lay eggs without being mated, so a laying bin is a must. After about 6 months of age they can lay eggs.
yes ive got a laying bin ready should i place it in the tank? ive sprayed it with water so that its moist
thankyou

Back
Top Bottom