Male and Female Jacksons seperated?

Brandon10

Hi everyone, I am purchasing a pair of Jacksons next week, but I am about to start building a home for them. These are some of the questions I have.

1.) Do they need to stay separated?

2.) If separated, would it be okay for them to see each other but not be able to get to each other?

3.) If they can live together, what is a proper size for a screen cage?

4.) If they need to be separated, what would be proper sizes cages for each individual?

Im sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks everyone!

best is to seperate them otherwise they will mate ,its ok to breed with them butt when the female is pregnant you have to seperate them anyway and give your female enough rest between litters . best is to keep them out of each others site (stres) . cage size depents of the species of jack .

best is to seperate them otherwise they will mate ,its ok to breed with them butt when the female is pregnant you have to seperate them anyway and give your female enough rest between litters . best is to keep them out of each others site (stres) . cage size depents of the species of jack .

true..

even when i was breeding them in freeranges..once they mate the female with turn almost black most of the time and shake from one side to the other(telling the male, "im not interested"), and this can cause stress if she cant move away, or get some visual barriers inbetween them (with more females to one male, ive found they get less stressed or sggressive towards the male after mating..i think the amount of females available make it easier on each one)..but about 4-6 weeks after they mate and you start to notice the female increase in size, move her to a separate enclosure to give birth within a couple weeks (its depends on them but after mating will usually take from 3-6 months to gestate)..then keep it moist, when she gives birth take her out, feed, water..(or shower is what i do, they tend to dehydraite from that)..then in a few more months they will do it all over again (usually every 4 months i would get a batch). good luck!

Back
Top Bottom