Making Grape Vines Safe

KatiLemons

Established Member
I would like to know what some of the procedures people take to make grape vines safe for cham cages. I"ve heard soaking in water and allowing then to dry fully. I've heard of sandblasting them?? I'm not to sure what do do?

I don't use grapevines as the wood is fairly porus/soft and keeps molding in the high humidity of cham cages. Sandblasting it will just make that worse. Don't know what others do. You may just have to make it easy to remove and scrub it down with bleach/water solution periodically.

Having to replace them frequently isnt gonna be a problem cause my aunt has an orchard that has LOTS of grapes. I was just gonna peel the bark off and then soak them in the tub. So how much bleach are you saying? Like a cup?

Having to replace them frequently isnt gonna be a problem cause my aunt has an orchard that has LOTS of grapes. I was just gonna peel the bark off and then soak them in the tub. So how much bleach are you saying? Like a cup?

The standard scrub solution is 1 part bleach to 10 parts water (for example...1 oz bleach added to 10 oz water). Rinse until you can't smell the bleach and let dry thoroughly.

Another thing to be careful of. If the vines come from a producing orchard that is sprayed with any type of agricultural chemical do NOT use them. There are some nasty chemicals that get absorbed into the wood and may leach back out over time. I'd avoid them unless the orchard isn't treated with anything. Grape wood is just too porus.

Use of 10% bleach solution was our standard protocol for disinfecting first aid equipment contaminated with bodily fluids up until this year. Our new SOP is a 1% dilution and allowing the surface being cleaned to remain wet for three minutes. I can tell you that bp cuffs cleaned in a 10% solution come out looking like a bad tie-dye job, plus it is hard on rubber parts. I can't imagine how long it would take vines to finally lose the chlorine smell.

I am using grape vines in my pygmy cages and have had no trouble with them molding, except for a little mold occasionaly at the bottom where they vines are in the dirt. Any of the vines not touching dirt have no mold.

A mix of 1 part bleach to 10 parts warter and soak the vines works. Soak them for a little bit, then wash well. I repeat the rinsing with regular water several times.

Another method I have used is to cook the vines in the oven. I am not sure of the exact temperature, but a search should return the temperature. I like this method as no chemicals are involved. You just have to be careful not to burn the vines on any of the burners etc.

How long have you had your pygmy? I have heard about the baking of sticks and things so I'll try that process too. Thanks so Much

Back
Top Bottom