Making a curio cabinet into an enclosure

PlantLadyPam

Hi everyone! I got Zelda (my baby veiled sass monster) for Christmas, and she’s still tiny and in a small enclosure for her to be able to hunt a smaller area and doing extremely well! She’s having her first molt now, and I know it won’t be too long till she’s gonna need more space. I purchased a curio cabinet from a Habitat for Humanity store and am planning on making it her mansion. Any advice or tips and tricks on converting furniture into an enclosure?

AFD2BBB6-ACC2-4FE3-AEA0-E29C2C779226.jpeg
Here is the cabinet. The current plan is to connect the two upper compartments and make that her enclosure, then use the large bottom compartment for drainage and the smaller bottom compartment for storage.

Hi everyone! I got Zelda (my baby veiled sass monster) for Christmas, and she’s still small and in a small enclosure for her to be able to hunt a smaller area and doing extremely well! She’s having her first molt now, and I know it won’t be too long till she’s gonna need more space. I purchased a curio cabinet from a Habitat for Humanity store and am planning on making it her mansion. Any advice or tips and tricks on converting furniture into an enclosure?

Check the depth measurements Especially the depth. Most Curio cabinets look great but wont offer enought space when theyre grown.

Nice cabinet not sure of size though or ventilation or humidity. . There' a thread on here i will tag you hopefully lol . Good luck

Using epoxy or epoxy paint or polyurethane, or using sheets of pond liner or plastic sheets (with the joints and everything sealed with silicone), etc. all work
I use polyurethane in all my wooden enclosures and it works well. A clear waterbase is the easiest one to work with and dries fairly quick. Multiple coats recommended.

Is it solid wood or veneered particle board? If the latter, I recommend lining it with PVC or other plastic sheetstock. Sealing can work with solid wood, but with particle board, if there's the slightest defect in the seal and water gets in, it will disintegrate.

The back appears to be a thin plywood. I would use a similar plastic sheet stock over that (or replacing it) for integrity.
Seams & corners can be sealed with clear pure silicone (e.g. GE #1).

What are your plans for lighting, since the top appears solid except for the curios light?

Hi everyone! I got Zelda (my baby veiled sass monster) for Christmas, and she’s still tiny and in a small enclosure for her to be able to hunt a smaller area and doing extremely well! She’s having her first molt now, and I know it won’t be too long till she’s gonna need more space. I purchased a curio cabinet from a Habitat for Humanity store and am planning on making it her mansion. Any advice or tips and tricks on converting furniture into an enclosure?
Go under the heading enclosures forums and look a lot have posted pictures of their conversations- great idea!

Back
Top Bottom