Major Toms Weight

Lazereth

Avid Member
Major Tom had a vet checkup this morning and weighed in at 290g!!!!! What the............... o_O He dwarfs all my other panthers by a lot!
MT.jpg

I think that could be the heaviest panther weight I have ever seen on here! There was a thread going on awhile back about the weights of panthers and I think like 275 or something like that was the highest. I had one that was in the 260's. I would like to see some more pictures of him when he is awake. His head looks massive! The panther in mu Avatar only weighs about 175.

Major Tom had a vet checkup this morning and weighed in at 290g!!!!! What the............... o_O He dwarfs all my other panthers by a lot!
View attachment 153789

What did the vet say? He looks bloated with gular edema. If it isn't just edema, he looks obese. From your picture, it looks like both edema and obesity, but I'm only looking at one picture of a sleeping chameleon and I'm not a vet.

What did the vet say? He looks bloated with gular edema. If it isn't just edema, he looks obese. From your picture, it looks like both edema and obesity, but I'm only looking at one picture of a sleeping chameleon and I'm not a vet.
I spoke to the vet because I was concerned about his weight as well. She said after the appointment he is healthy as all can be but if he gains anymore weight I'll have to put him on a diet. His feeding schedule is the same for the other panthers. He's just a big dude and also a gentil giant.

I spoke to the vet because I was concerned about his weight as well. She said after the appointment he is healthy as all can be but if he gains anymore weight I'll have to put him on a diet. His feeding schedule is the same for the other panthers. He's just a big dude and also a gentil giant.

I've seen really big wild caught panthers that I would bet weighed a lot more than Major Tom. They don't have that bloated look to them. There is a difference between a big animal and a bloated one.

Look at his eyes--they are too big and protrude too far, especially for a sleeping animal. Look at the fluid filling around his neck that goes all the way up to his spine. Look at the puffiness all around his throat. That's not normal. It might not be a health issue, but it is not normal.

Aside from what looks like edema (to me, a person who is not a vet, and who is ojnly looking at one single picture) he looks obese. Vets have pretty much zero training in nutrition. I am never surprised when a vet gives a clean bill of health to an obese animal--I've seen it in other species so why not chameleons.

Take some pictures of him when he is being normal and relaxed and then have a really good look at him. Especially look at him when he spends time in a head-down position--the edema will be most obvious then thanks to gravity.

I work with a species that is very susceptible to edemas. Supplements seem to trigger it. I believe artificial D3 is one of the main culprits. It isn't Vitamin A because I give Vitamin A by itself once a month with no problems. Also, whatever the commercial cricket farms feed their crickets sometimes causes problems--it seems to stay in the crickets' bodies even when I feed super healthy food to the crickets for a couple of weeks. If he does have edema, try stopping all supplements and change to a food that you've raised yourself. I feed my (commercial) crickets at least a week before I feed them to my chameleons.

I see a lot of pictures on the forum of chameleons with edemas.

I've seen really big wild caught panthers that I would bet weighed a lot more than Major Tom. They don't have that bloated look to them. There is a difference between a big animal and a bloated one.

Look at his eyes--they are too big and protrude too far, especially for a sleeping animal. Look at the fluid filling around his neck that goes all the way up to his spine. Look at the puffiness all around his throat. That's not normal. It might not be a health issue, but it is not normal.

Aside from what looks like edema (to me, a person who is not a vet, and who is ojnly looking at one single picture) he looks obese. Vets have pretty much zero training in nutrition. I am never surprised when a vet gives a clean bill of health to an obese animal--I've seen it in other species so why not chameleons.

Take some pictures of him when he is being normal and relaxed and then have a really good look at him. Especially look at him when he spends time in a head-down position--the edema will be most obvious then thanks to gravity.

I work with a species that is very susceptible to edemas. Supplements seem to trigger it. I believe artificial D3 is one of the main culprits. It isn't Vitamin A because I give Vitamin A by itself once a month with no problems. Also, whatever the commercial cricket farms feed their crickets sometimes causes problems--it seems to stay in the crickets' bodies even when I feed super healthy food to the crickets for a couple of weeks. If he does have edema, try stopping all supplements and change to a food that you've raised yourself. I feed my (commercial) crickets at least a week before I feed them to my chameleons.

I see a lot of pictures on the forum of chameleons with edemas.
I'll post some older pics of him and some today of him awake. He's always had huge eyes for over 2.5 years. It always concerned me. But every vet stated yes his eyes are huge but show no signs of any health issues.

My scale has him at the same weight :unsure:
Thats my GF not me lol.... Shes loves those chams!

Attachments

• IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 169
Back
Top Bottom