Maintaining a bioactive enclosure

wanabthemoon

I have seen the very helpful threads about building a bioactive enclosure including this wonderful one:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

My question is on maintaining the bioactivity long term. I've read other bioactive set-ups that eventually maintain homeostasis with the fish, frogs etc. which are contributing their waste to the system. I'm trying to figure out what I would need to do after set up (1) even before I add a cham (hopefully panther) to the system, and (2) ongoing years down the road.

Is there anything you are doing to "feed" your isopods and springtails?
How long do you see the system lasting with appropriate cham levels of light / heat/ humidity?

Honestly depends on the setup, I have mine setup so the drainage layer is constantly draining. The soil keeps moist enough that it hasn't had any issues so far and humidity wise, the enclosure is pretty much self sufficient. Mine is still a young setup, but if all goes according to plan, I should just have to prune plants and clean up any waste on the plants. I'm still waiting to see mushrooms start to grow.

As for feeding the cleanup crew, I have food available but occasionally add in some Repashy Morning Wood. Honestly do a lot of research and figure out what design of enclosure works best for you. I live in a more arid climate so I have to mist more as well as have an enclosure with less screen to help maintain humidity.

Last edited:
yes that is helpful. Which would you consider chams (since they are not directly mentioned). I am guessing that they are in the canopy section.
Based on what I've seen, my chameleon spends time on all 3 top levels. He'll go on the floor, but only long enough to climb up another plant, pot, or dowel.

Based on what I've seen, my chameleon spends time on all 3 top levels. He'll go on the floor, but only long enough to climb up another plant, pot, or dowel.
Honestly, mine never explores the floor, although he could. He sometimes camps out near the bottom, watching the floor, I'm assuming to try to nab a isopod. But typically he spends the majority of his time near the top level, sleeps midway and defecates in the bottom. He has a designated washroom branch that he has chosen lol

Mine's got a designated branch too, but it's at the same level as his food cup (basking level).
Oh, if only mine would eat from a food cup lol. He refuses unless I physically hold it and it has to be a clear container. I tried a feeder cup and he just refuses to eat, so I free range his prey. However I do get to see more natural behaviour from him as a result.

Oh, if only mine would eat from a food cup lol. He refuses unless I physically hold it and it has to be a clear container. I tried a feeder cup and he just refuses to eat, so I free range his prey. However I do get to see more natural behaviour from him as a result.
My girl also will only head from a clear cup that I'm holding. She's a slow eater so I stand there for a while lol. I also free range crickets. I know this can be frowned upon but she never ever leaves any uneaten. I give about 5 on a thick branch and I watch her eat them all.

My girl also will only head from a clear cup that I'm holding. She's a slow eater so I stand there for a while lol. I also free range crickets. I know this can be frowned upon but she never ever leaves any uneaten. I give about 5 on a thick branch and I watch her eat them all.
Yeah, I know it's frowned upon as the feeders may chew on the chameleon. He usually only leaves one or two uneaten on feeding days, but eats them first thing the day after. Plus with all the plants, the crickets are able to feed themselves, and they are well fed and gutloaded before hand, so I've lowered the chances of the crickets chewing on my chameleon. In the four years I've owned him, not once has he been bitten by a cricket, Some may say it's luck, but I think it's due to the fact that they have preferred food sources readily available. So hedging the bets in my favour I guess.

Yeah, I know it's frowned upon as the feeders may chew on the chameleon. He usually only leaves one or two uneaten on feeding days, but eats them first thing the day after. Plus with all the plants, the crickets are able to feed themselves, and they are well fed and gutloaded before hand, so I've lowered the chances of the crickets chewing on my chameleon. In the four years I've owned him, not once has he been bitten by a cricket, Some may say it's luck, but I think it's due to the fact that they have preferred food sources readily available. So hedging the bets in my favour I guess.
Same. In the 4 years I've free fed I've never had a bite. But similarly I've had live plants as well.

Back
Top Bottom