Maggot inside jackson cheek

I like to smack James with some Canadian sarcasm every once in a while. Otherwise he won’t be able to keep up his honorary status as a Canuck. ‘For truthishly’ is a quote from family guy. Totally made up word.

My 2 cents:

I think there are people who, for legitimate reasons, have difficulty taking their chams to a vet. Heck, there are a lot of people who can't get professional treatment for their own medical problems. A lot of people are just ignorant (as we all were at some point) and ignorance takes time to solve. Aside from cases of gross neglect and/or disregard for the advice given on these forums, I think people should be welcomed and their errors pointed out gently.

With that said, my final words to the OP would be the following:

1. Understanding that there may be no vet with knowledge about exotic animals near you, at least make an effort to try finding one. Jannb offered to assist you but it looks like you just ignored her. This probably turned some people off.

2. It's great that your chameleon got better, but your last post came off as "you were wrong and I was right" when in reality it was "for whatever reason I couldn't do the best thing (take my cham to a vet) so I tried the next best thing and thankfully got lucky."

How am I an idiot for treating my chameleon?? You make absolutely no sense.. my experience with this forum has been nothing but negativity. Thanks for being a crappy person.
You are an idiot. He wasn’t wrong.

Not seeking professional help after literally digging a maggot out of a living animals head is the height of idiocy.

If you dug a maggot out of your sons face, would you not go to a doctor? You go extremely lucky on this one. Please don’t encourage other keepers to skip the vet, Idiocracy is already approaching fast enough without you greasing the rails.

You are an idiot. He wasn’t wrong.

Not seeking professional help after literally digging a maggot out of a living animals head is the height of idiocy.

If you dug a maggot out of your sons face, would you not go to a doctor? You go extremely lucky on this one. Please don’t encourage other keepers to skip the vet, Idiocracy is already approaching fast enough without you greasing the rails.
When there is no reptile vet anywhere near me that treats chameleons.. and no one on this forum had anything positive or helpful to offer. I got lucky? More like I contacted people who actually know what thier doing and they told me to order the rotgaurd and apply iodine until it arrived.. it's not luck its knowing what to do when you dont have the proper resources to handle the issue.. your an adult why dont you go be productive with your life and stop coming at a random post from almost a year ago on forums. Thanks

You mean like you did? You just made the jump from idiot to dumbass. Congrats.
249A9CD9-1FE7-45A3-AE03-690E94D5E7B9.jpeg

Okay. Carmstrong, it wasn't smart of you to try home remedies with something that could've gotten away from you easily without vet care. You got very, very lucky that he got better. The only reason you are getting negativity here is because you refuse to admit that vet care would've been the best option and you'd decided to take it upon yourself to treat your animal with no vet experience. Arguing when you were in the wrong here isn't going to help you. You practically just said to all the very knowledgeable keepers (@Brodybreaux25 , @jamest0o0 , @JacksJill, ect ect) that were trying to help you that they don't know what their doing, and that you are right and their wrong. Chameleons are sensitive creatures, and when stupid people such as you try out home remedies on them, thats how chameleons die. Next time you have a problem, go to the vet. If its not in your area, find the closest one and drive there, because your an adult, right? Do something productive with your life and take care of your damn animals the right way.

To keep it short, yes hun, you are an idiot.

When there is no reptile vet anywhere near me that treats chameleons.. and no one on this forum had anything positive or helpful to offer. I got lucky? More like I contacted people who actually know what thier doing and they told me to order the rotgaurd and apply iodine until it arrived.. it's not luck its knowing what to do when you dont have the proper resources to handle the issue.. your an adult why dont you go be productive with your life and stop coming at a random post from almost a year ago on forums. Thanks
I reread the entire thread and members were being helpful in advising you to take your chameleon to a vet. Help in finding a reptile vet near you was offered at least twice and you did not respond. You did get very lucky in being able to clear up your chameleon’s problem on your own. You took a huge gamble and had you lost, your chameleon would have been the one to suffer for it. The experienced members here understand the risks of diy chameleon medical treatment and is why all said you needed a vet.
Part of keeping an exotic animal is having access to proper veterinary care. Unfortunately, reptile vets are few and far between. There are many who have to drive several hours to reach their vet...but they do it when needed. For future reference, I suggest finding the nearest vet experienced in chameleons so that you don’t have to gamble on your chameleon’s health again. Wisdom is knowing that one doesn’t have all of the answers.

I'm not getting pulled into an old thread argument, but to sum up why I said OP was an idiot... is because he/she told people don't see a vet or listen to people on here if something pops up. Sure there are times it's not necessary and things work out. Many times that's not the case. Plus, you called all of us out. What do you expect?

I stand by the statements I made in this thread. In the case of temporal gland infections veterinary care that may involve systemic antibiotics and other care is the optimum treatment. If you choose to do less you risk the infection becoming systemic (infecting the entire animal) and death. I'm glad there was a better outcome but this was pure luck and that should not be relied upon. Most chameleons will not be that lucky.

Back
Top Bottom