Madagascar closed to export!

Keep the wild animals wild! I love my Cham and I understand I wouldn't have him if it weren't for a wild caught chameleon in his lineage somewhere. I also understand the importance of breeding wild back into the captive bloodlines. I would totally be down for a National Chameleon Breeders Association where you must have the appropriate credentials in order to purchase a wild caught chameleon.

well! maybe it can be really cool if in this forum, a section can be add.. like a breeder record? classified by species and member with an update every year (every year you have to fill a form : last cluch time, age of the animal, number of cluch with pictures of the male and the female with lineage of them, ready to ship worldwide? because.. I figure a lot of people proclaimed themselves a breeder but with a CH cluch with no more parents..this can also help to know better for the inbreeding with this record (if people stay honest! :p) and to get a good idea of what available around the world!

I was talking about Madagascar. A couple shipments that already had permits in order from before the shut down came in recently or are on their way in. I was just wondering if there was any news on how long it might last this time.

I was talking about Madagascar. A couple of shipments that were permitted before the shut down came in or are on their way. Just wondering if any one had updated news of how long to expect this to last. Price of panthers seems to be shooting up.

Its funny you bring this up, cause I was talking to owner of petstore I go to, he was telling me all about it. He was the one that explained to me about egypt. Like 5 years ago he travel there to look at some monitors, apparently back then there was so many, that you would see em as road kill everywhere, people didnt care about them. They exported so many at such a low price, they screwed themselves. Now they have to let the population rebuild. All about balance

My perception of this ban from Madagascar is it is not a CITES ban it is a ban from the country of Madagascar. I have not had the time to read all the posts on this thread. However this self imposed ban from Madagascar was made to address environmental concerns to my knowledge stated in the beginning of this thread. From the time of the original post of this ban of export there has been a couple of exports of chameleons to the USA. One imported shipment just arrived a couple days ago. Or arrived the week of 5/20/2019. What does this say about bans and conservation of Malagasy herps?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

There’s still a few more shipments coming in orders that were placed in 2018 are still allowed to pass customs but there’s only a few left coming in so if you know people getting them in stay on top of it or your gonna miss out pure blood is worth it there’s to many crosses out there

My perception of this ban from Madagascar is it is not a CITES ban it is a ban from the country of Madagascar. I have not had the time to read all the posts on this thread. However this self imposed ban from Madagascar was made to address environmental concerns to my knowledge stated in the beginning of this thread. From the time of the original post of this ban of export there has been a couple of exports of chameleons to the USA. One imported shipment just arrived a couple days ago. Or arrived the week of 5/20/2019. What does this say about bans and conservation of Malagasy herps?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

They are coming in on permits issued before the ban. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the herps. It has to do with the illegal rose wood trade so they decided to shut down ALL exports.

Yes, it's my understanding as well that previously approved permits were allowed to proceed but that when those have completed there won't be anymore until the self-imposed ban is lifted. My reading of what little I can find from reliable sources says this is centered on the rosewood trade and massive deforestation it has caused. Apparently rosewood has been all the rage in China but the demand is declining. The current president of Madagascar turned a blind eye to the problem during his last term was replaced and is now resolving to make Madagascar more ecologically minded and open to ecotourism now that he got reelected.

Yes, it's my understanding as well that previously approved permits were allowed to proceed but that when those have completed there won't be anymore until the self-imposed ban is lifted. My reading of what little I can find from reliable sources says this is centered on the rosewood trade and massive deforestation it has caused. Apparently rosewood has been all the rage in China but the demand is declining. The current president of Madagascar turned a blind eye to the problem during his last term was replaced and is now resolving to make Madagascar more ecologically minded and open to ecotourism now that he got reelected.

Were those pre approved CITES permits? Or were those pre approved Malagasy Export permits? The letter in the beginning of the thread stated that all the Malagasy exports would be stopped as soon as the letter was signed and distributed. That seemed clear.

Managing these exports the Malagasy would reep rewards if they separated lumber agriculture (forestry) from forest resources agriculture (another type of forestry). There they could have productive forests where they could reforest seedlings and selectively log from or forests that they could sustainably collect herp, plants, and other live resources from. This is just an outline of how I look at this problem. There was similar problems here in California with logging Coastal Redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens) and Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) Forests.

https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/trees/giantsequoia/history/

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/redwood-national-park-ga2.htm

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom