Lupin likes to hang out on bottom

hilltowner

We've had Lupin now for almost a year and he's going to be 2 yo. in March. He seems very healthy, his poops look great, he's eating great, he's drinking great, and he moves all over the place. However, the last month or so, we've found him hanging out on or near the bottom of the cage. It doesn't necessarily look like he's fallen, but he's just climbing around on the milk crate that supports his umbrella tree plant.

We took him to the vet and he said that Lupin looked great. They took a blood sample and everything looked great.

So, I'm not sure why he goes to the bottom of the cage. I thought that chameleon's always preferred to be up at the top of trees, not down near the bottom, so it's been worrying me. He gets plenty of food and his temps aren't too high (85-87 F)

Here's the cham fact sheet filled out:

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon – Lupin is a panther, male, 1 yo. 10 mos.., We have had him almost a year.

Handling – My daughter handles him every couple of days. When she comes near the cage, he often reaches for her and he seems to prefer to be out of his cage. If you put your hand in to put food in, he will often reach for you and climb on. He's a very mellow guy, not like our last cham who was much more typical and didn't like handling. This guy actually seems to prefer it. He also free ranges on some birch limbs that we have screwed into her wall above her bed.

Feeding – We feed him 8-12 large crickets every other day. He eats at least one as soon as we put them in. He does have a cup where we put the crickets, but now a days they just hop all over the place. We haven't been good about giving him as much diversity of food. In the past we've fed him silk worms and on rare occasions he does get a couple of mealyworms or waxworks. He doesn't like dubias and I keep killing the silk worms that I try to keep. I would love some suggestions on providing a more diversified, but healthy food source. My understanding was crickets were best, with silk worms and dubias being other good choices. Mealyworms and butter worms and waxworks were best for rare occasions. We gut-load the crickets with whatever fruit or veggies we have an excess of, including: banana skin, apple, broccoli, orange, carrots, and we give them Rapashy Superload Insect Gutload and Flukkers cricket thirst.

Supplements – Giving him Repashy Calcium Plus dusted on all his food every day.

Watering – Mistking starter system. Every 4 hours for 3 minutes during daytime. On from 8:30 am to 6:30pm. He loves to drink from the leaves and the hand water mister.

Fecal Description – Feces: Dark brown with some white on top. Looks really good.

History – No previous history other than he is one of Ranger's babies from Sublime Exotics in Texas. Hence the friendliness :)

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 24” x 24” x 48” screen cage.

Lighting - Have an 18" Reptisun 5.0 UVB 20 inch tube Bulb in hood and a basking 75 watt bulb in a mini-dome for basking. Both located on top of cage. Lights on from 7 am – 7 pm.

Temperature – Temperature ranges from 70 - 90 deg. 85-87 deg. at basking sites. 70 deg. at coolest sites. Overnight temperature is 70 deg. Temperature measured with Chaney Instruments Acu-Rite 00891A1 Indoor and Outdoor Thermometer and Humidity Gauge.

Humidity – Humidity levels: This is another place we struggle. The humidity rises with the mister to 70%, but when the mister isn't on, it's about 20-40% - even with two cool mist humidifiers going all day long. I've put plastic on 3 sides of the screen, but still low humidity. Create and maintain humidity: Mistking starting mister kit for 5 minutes every 3 hours. Cool mist humidifier on and off throughout day. Plexiglass on 3 sides of cage and 4 live plants. Measure humidity: Zoo Med Economy Analog Dual Thermometer and Humidity Gauge.

Plants – 4 live plants: 3 Scheffera and Pothos plants. Also, one 5 ' fake vine, 1 Flukers Repta vine, 3 surreal vines, and 1 large sandblasted manzanita branch.

Placement – Cage location: In a corner of my daughter's bedroom away from the door and windows. She's a quiet type, so pretty mellow room. Not near any fans, air vents or high traffic areas. Cage is off the floor on a 14” high, 24” x 24” wire rack.

Location – Near Albany, NY. Northeast.

Current Problem – Hanging out on the bottom of the cage more than usual.

Thanks for any help!

Marla and Amy

Not very experienced to give you any answers or advice. Maybe he's looking to get out seen as he likes to.
Hope someone chimes in. Kath.

Back
Top Bottom