Lower protein feeder options

BSF.png

I’m so sorry Becca. :( Here’s just a few things that popped up when I searched for pseudogout with some info about gout as well. I don’t know if it will help.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chandlers-leg-bump.164116/#post-1417926
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/diagnosed-with-gout.157510/#post-1349542
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/warning-necropsy-photos-gout-pseudogout.17746/
Is it possible that suppliers of your roaches are using something like dog food to increase their breeding? A couple of those links mention benefits of feeding silkworms to help gout/pseudogout. One thing that did pop out at me is “In reptiles, uric acid is cleared from the blood through the kidneys tubules, dehydration does not impair tubule excretion, but lower ambient temperatures does decrease renal tubule function.” As we’ve been lowering our basking temps, could that have had any effect? And perhaps a somewhat recent thread which claimed we are over-hydrating our chams is wrong. I recall you were taking the advice given and working on achieving the balance which was claimed to be best for our chams.
@MissSkittles ...where did that quote come from?

Yeah I have read those threads and many more the last few weeks. With the edema I was kinda diving into all angles. I would hate to think that the roach supplier would do that. They are a real reptile food supplier that I order from.

Yeah I totally get what your saying. So temps for him at basking are 82 but he rarely ever goes to the basking area. He loves being under the T5 lights and that area ranges depending on time of day from 79-83ish. Now I reduced his temps at the beginning of the year I think. But even then my basking temp was set for 84 no hotter.

And then we have the overhydration thread from hell. So I have thought a lot about that component. So when I was fogging I was getting up to 84% on average. Since I have stopped a few months ago I have been misting at 5:30pm and 6:30pm 3-4 minutes for each. This kicks and holds my night time humidity right at 79-81% all night until lights kick back on in the morning. Only change with urates has been from extremely liquid to more form. But not dry in any way and never any yellow.
I figured you’d already done a thorough search. Maybe you could call your vet and ask if they know of any vets closer to you that you could take Beman to.

I figured you’d already done a thorough search. Maybe you could call your vet and ask if they know of any vets closer to you that you could take Beman to.
It is a shit show.. My vet is out on maternity leave and won't be back until January they are saying. The Vet that I was going to try to take Beman to that is 2 hours away closed due to covid. Apparently the doctor was sick. I have tried calling but they have not been open not sure if other staff got sick or what. I have called every other Vet in the area and they will not touch a reptile. And I know I would not be able to handle a 5-6 hour drive one way right now. I live in the pit of hell in California. :banghead:

I am so sorry to hear this. It is one of my biggest fears. I hope all works out. You are a great chameleon mom
Thanks hun... It sucks I hate not being able to figure it out. I have been quite frustrated. He is alert and moving around. If it wasn't for the edema/gout signs and the weaker grip he is basically his usual self. So I don't know. Just wish I could nail it down but these animals are far from simple to understand. The slightest thing impacts one while not harming another.
I honestly wish someone would have been honest with me when I got him. Told me how difficult and expensive this hobby is. Explained that you can learn a ton and do everything right but that still may not be enough. This hobby requires critical thinking and the ability to understand so many different facets.

It is a shit show.. My vet is out on maternity leave and won't be back until January they are saying. The Vet that I was going to try to take Beman to that is 2 hours away closed due to covid. Apparently the doctor was sick. I have tried calling but they have not been open not sure if other staff got sick or what. I have called every other Vet in the area and they will not touch a reptile. And I know I would not be able to handle a 5-6 hour drive one way right now. I live in the pit of hell in California. :banghead:

My thoughts are,
1 relax you are doing well. I honestly don't know what a vet can do. You are giving him the best care, and at this point probably know more about this than most vets.

2 I would see about trying to arrange a video chat visit. Then it doesn't mater where he is, even if it is a vet in another state. Someone has to have figured this out. It is how I have all my doctor appointments. And I have many.

Thanks hun... It sucks I hate not being able to figure it out. I have been quite frustrated. He is alert and moving around. If it wasn't for the edema/gout signs and the weaker grip he is basically his usual self. So I don't know. Just wish I could nail it down but these animals are far from simple to understand. The slightest thing impacts one while not harming another.
I honestly wish someone would have been honest with me when I got him. Told me how difficult and expensive this hobby is. Explained that you can learn a ton and do everything right but that still may not be enough. This hobby requires critical thinking and the ability to understand so many different facets.

This is very true, it is almost part which craft. And like you say you can have two animals kept the same and one get it and the other not.
Plus it is soo slow on some of these processes, like MBD time we see it, well you know. I go super light on supplements, so I worry that it wont be enough and there is no way to tell till the problem arises.
You have my best wishes.

@Beman
...do you feel it's gout and not pseudogout?
I honestly am not totally sure. He has not been given a high protein diet. Varied feeders consisting of dubia, bsfl, silks, horns and the last few months crickets. Now he has been on a diet since earlier this year. He was overweight for his size and I have been correcting this through feeder size and reduced feedings. 3 days a week 2 feeders each time.

He has not ever been denied water urates were always perfect and no signs at all visibly of dehydration.

Gutload since the beginning of the year has been all fresh veg until recently when I switched to bug burger due to the edema and trying to see if it was something in my gutload or too much oxilates.

Supplements have always been on point. I learned the proper amounts, types, and frequency right off the bat with him.

I was feeding extra Bee pollen to Beman he loved it and would pick it right out of the bottom of his feeder cup. Since I was always told how good this was for them I never thought anything of it. I removed all bee pollen a few weeks ago as well. Figured this may be causing issues because maybe in fact too much of something good could be bad.

So, there's a very good chance nothing bad comes from this and he recovers. I'd think optimistically for now and just do what you can(see a vet, change gutload, etc).

You could also try blanching or even cooking the veggies to remove some of the negative nutrients. Dandelion greens are great, but I believe they have a moderate amount of oxalates, I'd have to check up on that again.

I'm just trying to see if I can figure it out.
I'm not sure what's going on cause I know how much you know and study up on things...so it's odd to me that anything "bad" is going on.
Sigh. :(

My thoughts are,
1 relax you are doing well. I honestly don't know what a vet can do. You are giving him the best care, and at this point probably know more about this than most vets.

2 I would see about trying to arrange a video chat visit. Then it doesn't mater where he is, even if it is a vet in another state. Someone has to have figured this out. It is how I have all my doctor appointments. And I have many.
This is very true, it is almost part which craft. And like you say you can have two animals kept the same and one get it and the other not.
Plus it is soo slow on some of these processes, like MBD time we see it, well you know. I go super light on supplements, so I worry that it wont be enough and there is no way to tell till the problem arises.
You have my best wishes.
Thank you hun. I really appreciate it. The funny thing is I see the differences in him. But I don't know how many people would pick up on the subtle changes. I stalk the boys... Even Bane who does not let me handle him. Every day I watch him move around the enclosure I look for anything off and memorize his features so I can tell if anything changes. I am not sure a vet would without being able to do the labs. Even Beman's little feet while I see the difference it is not like a bloated balloon lol.
And yes I feel like it is part witch craft lol

I'm just trying to see if I can figure it out.
I'm not sure what's going on cause I know how much you know and study up on things...so it's odd to me that anything "bad" is going on.
Sigh. :(
Thank you if you think of anything let me know. Another thought is genetics he is a petco boy....

Back
Top Bottom