Are Dubias TOO High in Protein?…

Funnily enough, it's fat that they're too high in; equivalent to superworms. Also, they really should be taking out the moisture when doing a comparative analysis, or else the nutrient compositions are all out of context. Moisture is supposed to be taken as a separate measurement and nutrients are calculated as % dry matter.

Here's a proper analysis done by a more unbiased source with peer review and scientific scrutiny. I would be wary of numbers from a company, trying to sell a product, doing their own "analysis".
1684563118695.png

Source:
Kulma, M., Plachý, V., Kouřimská, L., Vrabec, V., Bubová, T., Adámková, A., & Hučko, B. (2016). Nutritional value of three Blattodea species used as feed for animals. Journal of Animal and Feed Sciences, 25(4), 354-360.

Most of my Jackson's both j.j. and l.x. have a strong preference for dubia over crickets. I have had zero cases of gout in seven years of keepping. I only feed off nymphs that are on a low protein vegetable diet.

The other problem with nutritional analysis is that some kinds of protein are indigestible or less digestible. Dog food manufacturers used to add chicken beaks and feet in the food, they contain keratin. It counted toward the protein analysis but was indigestible. You really need an analysis of the proteins to have an accurate picture. I know from looking at fecal samples quire a few insect parts are not digested.

Gout is caused by high uric acid.
High protein diets do not cause high uric acid.
"animals" can not store uric acid. Its instead crystalized in the joints.
"bugs" store excess protein as uric acid, just like animals store fat, to be used at later dates.

A chameleon can certainly get gout from insects that are fed a high protein diet. its not just dubia, it can easily be crickets who can tolerate a much higher protein content diet(that would kill off a dubia colony).

Back
Top Bottom