Lower protein feeder options

So, there's a very good chance nothing bad comes from this and he recovers. I'd think optimistically for now and just do what you can(see a vet, change gutload, etc).

You could also try blanching or even cooking the veggies to remove some of the negative nutrients. Dandelion greens are great, but I believe they have a moderate amount of oxalates, I'd have to check up on that again.
If you could help me with this I would appreciate it. I really don't know what I am looking for and I do not understand the compounds well enough. I mean I don't even know how to actually blanch them or what should be blanched :hilarious:

Thanks hun... It sucks I hate not being able to figure it out. I have been quite frustrated. He is alert and moving around. If it wasn't for the edema/gout signs and the weaker grip he is basically his usual self. So I don't know. Just wish I could nail it down but these animals are far from simple to understand. The slightest thing impacts one while not harming another.
I honestly wish someone would have been honest with me when I got him. Told me how difficult and expensive this hobby is. Explained that you can learn a ton and do everything right but that still may not be enough. This hobby requires critical thinking and the ability to understand so many different facets.

I feel this. I'm sure everyone on this forum feels this.

Ok what about changes with chams that get sun multiple times a week vs then only UVB from bulbs... This is the only other big change in the last few weeks. Our weather has shifted and I have not been able to get Beman out at all in the sun. He was going out at least 3 days a week for 3-5 hours each time.
Now my UVB bulbs are still working just fine. But could this be a link or have I just lost my mind :hilarious:

Ok what about changes with chams that get sun multiple times a week vs then only UVB from bulbs... This is the only other big change in the last few weeks. Our weather has shifted and I have not been able to get Beman out at all in the sun. He was going out at least 3 days a week for 3-5 hours each time.
Now my UVB bulbs are still working just fine. But could this be a link or have I just lost my mind :hilarious:

If anything he would get edema from more sun and D3 suppliments, not less sun. But there is a 3-4 month lag from over dosing on D3 before edema sets in. If its a D3 problem.

Hmmm

So beman was getting 12-15 hours of cali summer sun each week, and a UVI of 3-4 inside, and getting arcadia D3 twice a month? If that were the case for 3-4 months, then it would start hitting around now, even if he has not been outside for a few weeks. D3 is fat soluble so there is a buildup + delay factor.

If anything he would get edema from more sun and D3 suppliments, not less sun. But there is a 3-4 month lag from over dosing on D3 before edema sets in. If its a D3 problem.

Hmmm

So beman was getting 12-15 hours of cali summer sun each week, and a UVI of 3-4 inside, and getting arcadia D3 twice a month? If that were the case for 3-4 months, then it would start hitting around now, even if he has not been outside for a few weeks. D3 is fat soluble so there is a buildup + delay factor.
doesn't the sun help get rid of excess D3? I think I heard bill talking about it .

doesn't the sun help get rid of excess D3? I think I heard bill talking about it .
It gets rid of 1 of the 3 phases. It does not get rid of the phase that is in supplements. If it could then we could suppliment outside chams as much as inside, since the outsides could regulate/destroy D3 as needed.

main-qimg-b5922de180a6c8ab7324fa4738e9d953.jpg

D3.png

Thank you if you think of anything let me know. Another thought is genetics he is a petco boy....

Hindsight is 20/20 but I kind of wish I had a necropsy done on my boy so I could have a better understanding of what happened. His body started failing at about a year old and I wonder if there was a genetics component to it.

I hope this doesn't sound too morbid, I just know that we still have a ways to go in terms of learning about these little guys.

I'm truly hoping that the measures you're taking now will help Beman out in the long run.

Hmmm

So I did not start the arcadia supplement with D3 and A until mid September. I was using Reptivite without D3 for vitamin A 2 times a month prior. Prior to the arcadia revitalise D3 he never got D3 from supplementation. Just UVB. The arcadia supplements have such a low amount of D3 and A compared to others. D3 = 2.3kIU per lb and the A = 23k IU per lb.

Do you think such a small amount of D3 could impact like this? I mean I can easily take him off it as well and go back to the reptivite without D3.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I kind of wish I had a necropsy done on my boy so I could have a better understanding of what happened. His body started failing at about a year old and I wonder if there was a genetics component to it.

I hope this doesn't sound too morbid, I just know that we still have a ways to go in terms of learning about these little guys.

I'm truly hoping that the measures you're taking now will help Beman out in the long run.
Not morbid at all. I honestly feel that we only understand basics about them. That we do our best but there are soooooooo many different layers to these guys.

So I did not start the arcadia supplement with D3 and A until mid September. I was using Reptivite without D3 for vitamin A 2 times a month prior. Prior to the arcadia revitalise D3 he never got D3 from supplementation. Just UVB. The arcadia supplements have such a low amount of D3 and A compared to others. D3 = 2.3kIU per lb and the A = 23k IU per lb.

Do you think such a small amount of D3 could impact like this? I mean I can easily take him off it as well and go back to the reptivite without D3.

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb

I dont have the time right now to convert kg to lbs, but just pretend that the 8,000 IU/lb is 20,000 ui/kg

Arcadia is 2300IU per pound. So its still pretty low, its only 3 times stronger than minerall-indoor. and its 3x lower than calcium plug LoD.

But i dont know what the upper threshold is. Gotta remember i run 900ui per pound once a week with UVI of 1.0.

It is a shit show.. My vet is out on maternity leave and won't be back until January they are saying. The Vet that I was going to try to take Beman to that is 2 hours away closed due to covid. Apparently the doctor was sick. I have tried calling but they have not been open not sure if other staff got sick or what. I have called every other Vet in the area and they will not touch a reptile. And I know I would not be able to handle a 5-6 hour drive one way right now. I live in the pit of hell in California. :banghead:
I no nothing but is there any one even a nurse that could take a blood sample and you have it couriered to the lab. Just thinking out loud. ?

Really well actually. I must have hit on what was causing the edema and gout. I am really leaning towards the amount of pollen I was giving being way too much for him to process. The edema has totally subsided and the gout in the front arms has reduced almost to normal. Grip is back to being ridiculously strong lol

Fantastic news! ?

Really well actually. I must have hit on what was causing the edema and gout. I am really leaning towards the amount of pollen I was giving being way too much for him to process. The edema has totally subsided and the gout in the front arms has reduced almost to normal. Grip is back to being ridiculously strong lol
Yay! So very relieved for you and sweet Beman that he’s doing so much better. ?

Back
Top Bottom