Louie information sheet

Swtbobcat

• Your Chameleon - Louie- veiled chameleon. He's about 2 yrs old. Have had him for about 2 months currently.
  • Handling - i handle him almost daily whether its just petting him or having him come out and hold.
  • Feeding - louie eats predominantly superworms (6-8) about every other day. I put reptipowder on them about 1x a wk
  • Supplements - iuse the repti calcium powder.
  • Watering - i have a the water dripper and I use a cool humidity fogger which goes off every 2 hrs for 30 min providing extra moisture on the plants which Louie will drink off.
  • Fecal Description - louie's droppings are like a brown and then white.
  • History - louie was purchased a little over 2 yrs ago bu a family and they earlier this summer decided they didn't want him.and put in on consignment to a local pet food supplier. He was there 4-5 months and didnt really like anyone toughing him but he would let me hold him and he would sit on my had or chest chilling when he wouldnt let anyone else do it. He went thru a shed right before I got him and had to be taken to the vet for him to help because he some shed stuck in some glands that was causing it to get infected.the vet helped with that and got the pieces of shed skin out of the glands. He also said the "mole" on his was not something to worry about because he had it for a good while and doesn't seem to hurt him or bother him.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - full screen cage thats i believe 16x16x36 ish
  • Lighting - the reptlighting with uvb blue and white lights
  • Temperature - the average temp in cage is about 72ish based on the basic thermometer i have for hs cage.
  • Humidity - Wi do not know specifically what the humidity levels are in the cage as im not sure how to measure that. I do run a himidity fogger every 2 hrs for 30 minutes.
  • Plants - no live plants yet but will be adding some. Need to find an organic plant shop so I can get one that doesn't have pesticides in them.
  • Placement - the cage is located behind my desk at school on top of a tall mini fridge. Its taller than my 4ft metal books case. Traffic is just me going to/from my desk.
  • Location - Round Rock, TX -just noth of Austin in central texas.

Here are pictures of my setup and light and heat source as well as the powder i use and some of his droppings from yesterday. ObviouslyI would love more hel on making his cage more friendly with love plants. Ive changed the subtrate from the wood subtrate to the carpet subtreate. I also have a shed soak that ive done with him 1x but need to do again cuz he is shedding some.

Current Problem - overall making sure Louie is okay. I'm really wanting to be a good Chameleon mom and make sure that he is happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 20191209_081235.jpg
    20191209_081235.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20191209_081210.jpg
    20191209_081210.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20191209_081203.jpg
    20191209_081203.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20191209_081153.jpg
    20191209_081153.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20191209_081541.jpg
    20191209_081541.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20191209_081136.jpg
    20191209_081136.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20191209_081147.jpg
    20191209_081147.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20191209_081142.jpg
    20191209_081142.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20191210_154309.jpg
    20191210_154309.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Your Chameleon - Louie- veiled chameleon. He's about 2 yrs old. Have had him for about 2 months currently.
  • Handling - i handle him almost daily whether its just petting him or having him come out and hold.
  • Feeding - louie eats predominantly superworms (6-8) about every other day. I put reptipowder on them about 1x a wk
  • Supplements - iuse the repti calcium powder.
  • Watering - i have a the water dripper and I use a cool humidity fogger which goes off every 2 hrs for 30 min providing extra moisture on the plants which Louie will drink off.
  • History - louie was purchased a little over 2 yrs ago bu a family and they earlier this summer decided they didn't want him.and put in on consignment to a local pet food supplier. He was there 4-5 months and didnt really like anyone toughing him but he would let me hold him and he would sit on my had or chest chilling when he wouldnt let anyone else do it. He went thru a shed right before I got him and had to be taken to the vet for him to help because he some shed stuck in some glands that was causing it to get infected.the vet helped with that and got the pieces of shed skin out of the glands. He also said the "mole" on his was not something to worry about because he had it for a good while and doesn't seem to hurt him or bother him.

Cage Info:
  • Temperature - the average temp in cage is about 72ish based on the basic thermometer i have for hs cage.
  • Humidity - Wi do not know specifically what the humidity levels are in the cage as im not sure how to measure that. I do run a himidity fogger every 2 hrs for 30 minutes.
  • Plants - no live plants yet but will be adding some. Need to find an organic plant shop so I can get one that doesn't have pesticides in them.
  • Placement - the cage is located behind my desk at school on top of a tall mini fridge. Its taller than my 4ft metal books case. Traffic is just me going to/from my desk.

Here are pictures of my setup and light and heat source as well as the powder i use and some of his droppings from yesterday. ObviouslyI would love more hel on making his cage more friendly with love plants. Ive changed the subtrate from the wood subtrate to the carpet subtreate. I also have a shed soak that ive done with him 1x but need to do again cuz he is shedding some.

Current Problem - overall making sure Louie is okay. I'm really wanting to be a good Chameleon mom and make sure that he is happy and healthy.
I have downloaded the food sheet and will be working on trying to feed him a larger variety of food. I do have a question on putting fruits and veggies in his cage. How does that work - do i mush it up or do i hang it and he nibbles off it?

Louie is having a bad time....

Get a repibreeze XL and a reptisun T5HO 22" kit as a min. The CFL only does uvb a few inches into the cage, and louie is as long as the cage(if he is full grown). He also doesnt need that IR light unless its not hitting 75-80f during the day. And night time drops in the low 50's is fine, so he doesnt need a night like or IR heater.

• Handling - i handle him almost daily whether its just petting him or having him come out and hold. This is often a case-by-case thing, but some might consider this too much handling.
  • Feeding - louie eats predominantly superworms (6-8) about every other day. You might consider introducing crickets, bsfl, silkworms and keep the super worms to less than 15% of his diet. I put reptipowder on them about 1x a wk I’ll check out what supplements you’re using from your pics, but if reptipowder is a multivitamin with d3, once a week sounds a bit on the excessive side. Twice a month.
  • Supplements - iuse the repti calcium powder. calcium with no d3 at every feeding. Personally, to keep things simple, I’d just use repashy calcium plus LoD at every feeding, and nothing else. It’s an all-in-one that requires no additional multivitamins or d3.
  • Watering - i have a the water dripper and I use a cool humidity fogger which goes off every 2 hrs for 30 min providing extra moisture on the plants which Louie will drink off. I won’t bog you down with theory here, just remember that in nature, humidity is high at night and early morning.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - full screen cage thats i believe 16x16x36 ish. You’ll want to pick up a bigger cage as soon as you can. The standard is reptibreeze 2x2x4, or a glass enclosure—I’m not hip on the brands for the latter, but somebody will chime in. Your goal should be to pick the TYPE of cage that will allow you to meet his heat/humidity requirements, and the SIZE of cage that allows you to create differing levels of heat/humidity and uvb exposure—the minimum size being around 2x2x4, or 2x3x3.
  • Lighting - the reptlighting with uvb blue and white lights. here’s where there isn’t a lot of room to compromise. The compact uvb bulbs—either corkscrew or looped—only provide sufficient uvb exposure within about 3 inches of the bulb. Since your Cham needs to be able to expose the entire length of his body to a uvb source, this bulb will, by definition, fail to meet requirements: your boy is already longer than 3 inches, so there will always be a part of his body outside the useful range of uvb. Here’s the good news, a 22” t5 reptisun 5.0, or Arcadia 6% will give you exactly what you need here.
  • Temperature - the average temp in cage is about 72ish based on the basic thermometer i have for hs cage. And his basking temp?
  • Humidity - Wi do not know specifically what the humidity levels are in the cage as im not sure how to measure that. I do run a himidity fogger every 2 hrs for 30 minutes. It is recomended that you have a hygrometer: cheap ones can be as low as $5
  • Plants - no live plants yet but will be adding some. Need to find an organic plant shop so I can get one that doesn't have pesticides in them. No doubt, I’ll get annihilated for saying so, but an organic plant shop is not important. Go to Walmart/Home Depot/wherever, and get yourself a pothos. Give the leaves a quick rinse off for a quick fix; change the soil for a more involved treatment.

Don't or try not to use the fogger during the day, heat from his bulbs plus a lot of humidity in the air can cause respiratory infections. If you are misting 2-3 times a day, you should be meeting the requirements of 30-40 percent humidity during the day. Use it at night though, it will help tons with humidity. ( it needs to be 80-100 at night)

I would also like to add that in general chameleons like to sit more on horizontal branches, and less on vertical branches. He doesn't need to be able to get to the top of the cage, so you can take the branches that are currently attached to the top and re-bend them so they loop around the enclosure and provide horizontal perches.

This is a really small, not that important thing. It looks like you have some bigger things (the UVB lighting) to fix before worrying too much about this. But once you have the correct lighting set up, with the right temps at your basking area (which should be a horizontal branch), you will want to avoid giving him access to the top screen as much as possible since this will allow him to get too close to the heat sources.

Cheers!

Please do not soak your chameleon. Especially not to help with shedding. Chameleons are dry shedders, meaning they need to stay dry in order to shed. Soaking them is not only stressful but does the complete opposite of help them. They also don't absorb water from their skin contrary to popular belief.

Back
Top Bottom