Lou comes home today from the vet, excited...

You're doing amazing!!! How did the appt go??
It was hard. Dr. Jordan Gentry of Texas Avian saw him. He didn’t like how he looked, and had a lot of concern. I’m grateful he was honest. He is concerned about his lethargy and his movement, inability to grip well. I am preparing for the worst with some hope, that maybe it’s not too late. He is suspecting a possible vitamin a deficiency. We ran two different types of bloodwork and will determine if he can be treated, what is going on with his organ, or if this is a matter of quality of life.
I am heartbroken. He is so stressed out after this big day, but I went ahead and gave him his pain meds and started him on fortaz again. I’ll be getting a call in two days to discuss his results.
I took an article home that he had me read in the office about vitamin deficiencies and it’s pretty interesting, the vet was pretty spot on as far as symptoms go, but his eyes are fine, I won’t know anything until
Blood work is done. I was so hopeful because he’s been moving more, eating on his own, and drinking more lately.

It was hard. Dr. Jordan Gentry of Texas Avian saw him. He didn’t like how he looked, and had a lot of concern. I’m grateful he was honest. He is concerned about his lethargy and his movement, inability to grip well. I am preparing for the worst with some hope, that maybe it’s not too late. He is suspecting a possible vitamin a deficiency. We ran two different types of bloodwork and will determine if he can be treated, what is going on with his organ, or if this is a matter of quality of life.
I am heartbroken. He is so stressed out after this big day, but I went ahead and gave him his pain meds and started him on fortaz again. I’ll be getting a call in two days to discuss his results.
I took an article home that he had me read in the office about vitamin deficiencies and it’s pretty interesting, the vet was pretty spot on as far as symptoms go, but his eyes are fine, I won’t know anything until
Blood work is done. I was so hopeful because he’s been moving more, eating on his own, and drinking more lately.
I am glad I went with my gut and didn’t have him on the oral antifungal. This vet sat and talked with me for a good two hours. He wants to communicate with Lou’s other vet to discuss his suspicions. We talked about husbandry for a while and he shared with me what he uses for his habitats. It was comforting to be and talk with someone who himself has had reptiles his whole life, and the anomaly chameleons are as patients and how their needs are so peculiar and special. It makes me fear being an owner, especially because since birth it’s likely that this captive bred species needs are beyond what we can really do for them. Very deep in my thoughts right now and feel privileged to have this friend of mine, I am praying that it isn’t too late and am anxious for an answer on what I may have done. Mostly, I do not want him to suffer if he is terminal. I am preparing for this with a hint of hope for loves sake.

I am glad I went with my gut and didn’t have him on the oral antifungal. This vet sat and talked with me for a good two hours. He wants to communicate with Lou’s other vet to discuss his suspicions. We talked about husbandry for a while and he shared with me what he uses for his habitats. It was comforting to be and talk with someone who himself has had reptiles his whole life, and the anomaly chameleons are as patients and how their needs are so peculiar and special. It makes me fear being an owner, especially because since birth it’s likely that this captive bred species needs are beyond what we can really do for them. Very deep in my thoughts right now and feel privileged to have this friend of mine, I am praying that it isn’t too late and am anxious for an answer on what I may have done. Mostly, I do not want him to suffer if he is terminal. I am preparing for this with a hint of hope for loves sake.

Try not to get too caught up in your head and thoughts and wait for the doctor’s prognosis. Also, many talk about how the medicine and infections can slow them down while on them - but that’s not to say it is a permanent change. Keep your hope and head up!

Try not to get too caught up in your head and thoughts and wait for the doctor’s prognosis. Also, many talk about how the medicine and infections can slow them down while on them - but that’s not to say it is a permanent change. Keep your hope and head up!
Thanks, it’s really effing hard right now. I know I’m doing everything I can but holy shit. I think I’ve cried ten times today and feel so helpless. He gave me syringes to inject his feeders with pain meds and said that these are the ones(meds) at this time to focus on. He said they use manuka honey often on their patients but to be careful with it as it can attract other bacteria’s. I keep his hospital bin very clean, with multiple changings of towels a day. He told me to switch to paper towels and to try showering him daily in his main enclosure with the mistking. Tomorrow I am going to set that up and depending on results will buy some mesh to catch his Falls and move him from the hospital bin.
I had to use three different ways of payment today and hardly have anything left over until Friday. I am putting his needs in front of my own and I’ll be okay, it’s just been a mountain of stress on all angles. I pray he is going to make it. I am working 20 days in a row just to ensure I can cover his care and detrimental bills. I want to take all the damn chameleons from my local petco after their last baby Jackson’s I saw sick didn’t make it and they immediately replaced it with 3 weak baby little veils. Ugh. I don’t think people understand that these guys are more than cute and fascinating, they take a lot of work.

Thanks, it’s really effing hard right now. I know I’m doing everything I can but holy shit. I think I’ve cried ten times today and feel so helpless. He gave me syringes to inject his feeders with pain meds and said that these are the ones(meds) at this time to focus on. He said they use manuka honey often on their patients but to be careful with it as it can attract other bacteria’s. I keep his hospital bin very clean, with multiple changings of towels a day. He told me to switch to paper towels and to try showering him daily in his main enclosure with the mistking. Tomorrow I am going to set that up and depending on results will buy some mesh to catch his Falls and move him from the hospital bin.
I had to use three different ways of payment today and hardly have anything left over until Friday. I am putting his needs in front of my own and I’ll be okay, it’s just been a mountain of stress on all angles. I pray he is going to make it. I am working 20 days in a row just to ensure I can cover his care and detrimental bills. I want to take all the damn chameleons from my local petco after their last baby Jackson’s I saw sick didn’t make it and they immediately replaced it with 3 weak baby little veils. Ugh. I don’t think people understand that these guys are more than cute and fascinating, they take a lot of work.

Keep your chin up! You're doing everything you possibly can, and the community is here for you. I'm rooting for a positive outcome!! Sending good vibes your way. :love:

I have some in 36” and Black Jungle has some other sizes/varieties. They’re great additions... various sizes and textures on them so theyre like little jungle gyms (see what I did there?)
Now I’m wondering if I ordered from you before...
if you neherp... I love everything. If you’re not... send me info, so I can purchase for my new cage. Lol.

About to let him sunbathe in a warm bath. That is, after I inject a superworm with painmeds and hope that he eats it?

Well that is on my list now of most awkward things I’ve ever done. I’m surprised the bug is still alive, it’s poofy now.

About to let him sunbathe in a warm bath. That is, after I inject a superworm with painmeds and hope that he eats it?

Well that is on my list now of most awkward things I’ve ever done. I’m surprised the bug is still alive, it’s poofy now.

I'm curious, why in a bath? Chameleons don't absorb water through their skin.

I'm curious, why in a bath? Chameleons don't absorb water through their skin.
This was the recommendation I was given yesterday for his hydrotherapy on his healing foot wound. Said it was less stressful then holding him under a faucet sink.

This was the recommendation I was giving yesterday for his hydrotherapy on his healing foot wound. Said it was less stressful then holding him under a faucet sink.

Ah okay. I thought that might be it, but wanted to make sure. Some people try to give their chams baths to help with hydration which is a big no-no. Glad to hear the appointment at Texas A&E was full of lots of knowledge. Those guys know what they're doing. I'm rooting for your little guy.

Ah okay. I thought that might be it, but wanted to make sure. Some people try to give their chams baths to help with hydration which is a big no-no. Glad to hear the appointment at Texas A&E was full of lots of knowledge. Those guys know what they're doing. I'm rooting for your little guy.
Thank you, and thank you for the recommendation to them. Yes, I had to get out of there cause I was 30 min late to work after a 2.5 hr conversation! Coulda talked to that vet all damn day, he was awesome and genuine and for sure a reptile man.

Back
Top Bottom