Lots of Questions!!!!

jewel0301

I am pretty new to the chameleon world and if you’re one of those protective animal/reptile peeps, i completely understand the frustration you could have with beginners! 😬😅 (i have it too!)
I have a 2 month Male Veiled Chameleon. He’s very active, since day one in his new cage he was very curious about what all was in his cage, where he could go, etc.
I recently was having issues w his shedding, long story short, the things i was told by a Veterinarian was completely WRONG and it was quite heart dropping!
So with that, i just have a few questions with the things i’m doing for my little one!
I have a smaller cage 16x16x30 for now just bc of how small he is and i want to possibly custom build a bigger one so that he’s able to roam around! I’ve read a lot about using only live plants (no fake at all) but i also can’t get plants along the edges without them dying due to them not being in a pot and in this cage, there’s no possible way of fitting more than one plant in there! Ive also had my husband cut down sticks from a tree and clean them to put in there! I’m up for new ideas and places to get certain things bc i’ve looked EVERYWHERE!!! i will post pictures below of my set up!

How much should he be eating at this age? I’ve seen several people say 6-7 crickets 3 times a day and i’ve also seen people say 5 crickets twice a day. I’ve been feeling him 6-7 crickets twice a day and some days he will eat them quickly and (not kidding) he knocks his plastic bowl over and i think he’s mad he didn’t get enough 😂! But other days he will eat them slowly- walk away for a few minutes, go back and finish. I have now cut out a water bottle to hang on the side of my cage so that he can’t knock it over! (will post picture below)

I don’t have a Mist-King or a automatic Mister. I have been misting his cage myself morning and night- completely covering his leaves, sticks making sure his everything gets hit! Is this a technique i could continue and it be okay? Misting machines can be expensive and i don’t want to get one if i am able to save a little money!

If you have any other suggestions of things to decorate the cage with, DIY ideas to help out that would be great! If you have websites of places i can get things from as well that would be SUUUUPER helpful!!
Thank you in advance from Colt and I! :)
AD003BDB-AE47-429D-A023-E7A5532BECC3.jpeg

where i plan to put the cut out bottle for his food
61C4EEB5-EF36-4067-9D82-16D21D0A4D20.jpeg

(these are from this morning when he just woke up. he never just rests in one spot all day!)
6BD83ABE-967B-4F5F-B019-F5DF53F27E20.jpeg
954B8BF5-4D6F-43FB-9B98-C94E8FD659A9.jpeg
BFA76DD1-DBCC-4113-8249-E5EB63A9D73F.jpeg

I am pretty new to the chameleon world and if you’re one of those protective animal/reptile peeps, i completely understand the frustration you could have with beginners! 😬😅 (i have it too!)
I have a 2 month Male Veiled Chameleon. He’s very active, since day one in his new cage he was very curious about what all was in his cage, where he could go, etc.
I recently was having issues w his shedding, long story short, the things i was told by a Veterinarian was completely WRONG and it was quite heart dropping!
So with that, i just have a few questions with the things i’m doing for my little one!
I have a smaller cage 16x16x30 for now just bc of how small he is and i want to possibly custom build a bigger one so that he’s able to roam around! I’ve read a lot about using only live plants (no fake at all) but i also can’t get plants along the edges without them dying due to them not being in a pot and in this cage, there’s no possible way of fitting more than one plant in there! Ive also had my husband cut down sticks from a tree and clean them to put in there! I’m up for new ideas and places to get certain things bc i’ve looked EVERYWHERE!!! i will post pictures below of my set up!

How much should he be eating at this age? I’ve seen several people say 6-7 crickets 3 times a day and i’ve also seen people say 5 crickets twice a day. I’ve been feeling him 6-7 crickets twice a day and some days he will eat them quickly and (not kidding) he knocks his plastic bowl over and i think he’s mad he didn’t get enough 😂! But other days he will eat them slowly- walk away for a few minutes, go back and finish. I have now cut out a water bottle to hang on the side of my cage so that he can’t knock it over! (will post picture below)

I don’t have a Mist-King or a automatic Mister. I have been misting his cage myself morning and night- completely covering his leaves, sticks making sure his everything gets hit! Is this a technique i could continue and it be okay? Misting machines can be expensive and i don’t want to get one if i am able to save a little money!

If you have any other suggestions of things to decorate the cage with, DIY ideas to help out that would be great! If you have websites of places i can get things from as well that would be SUUUUPER helpful!!
Thank you in advance from Colt and I! :) View attachment 293661
where i plan to put the cut out bottle for his foodView attachment 293662
(these are from this morning when he just woke up. he never just rests in one spot all day!)View attachment 293659View attachment 293660View attachment 293663
If you could please fill this out I’d be much easier!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

If you could please fill this out I’d be much easier!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon named Colt! I assuming he’s 2months, I’ve had him for 4 weeks!
  • Handling - Once a week
  • Feeding - Crickets 5-6 twice a day- Hornworms 2-3 through out the week. Waxworms (recently due to Texas Winter storm for only 3 days. every store I called looking for crickets didn’t have them.)
  • Supplements - Repti-calcium once daily and Reptivite with D3 twice a month (started that yesterday 2/23)
  • Watering - Misting 3 times a day for 3-4 minutes. I use the little dripper as well. I do see him drink!
  • Fecal Description - normal brownish color, regularly in the same spot everytime.
  • History - I’ve only had issues with his eye. he was itching on the branch and it occasionally bulged out almost like a bubble. occurred twice, took his to the vet, reccommended some cream if it occurred again and it hasn’t! Pretty sure he might’ve just had something in his eye at the time! Some issues with his first shed but was able to fix that with the help from these forums!

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen cage 16x16x30 (will get bigger cage as he starts to grow)
  • Lighting - 5.0 T5 HO UVB and 75W intense Heat Basking light- 8AM to 8:30PM
  • Temperature - basking spot- 80°-83°Bottom of cage ranges from 65°-70°. Night temp: 65°-70°
  • Humidity - Levels range from 30%-60% i check it hourly.
  • Plants - Large live Pathos- Previously have croton as well.
  • Placement - My bed room, on a desk table just for him, in a corner not near any vents.
  • Location - Dallas, TX

Thank you in advance from Colt and I! :) View attachment 293661
where i plan to put the cut out bottle for his foodView attachment 293662
(these are from this morning when he just woke up. he never just rests in one spot all day!)View attachment 293659View attachment 293660View attachment 293663
Ok so I’m really big on DIYs I love building and making things so I could definitely help you with that. I do recommend you get him a bigger cage now as he will grow rapidly. A 4x2x4 but bigger is always better (minimum is 2x2x4). You could definitely build it but it’s not always cheaper. I built my cage but I only had to buy materials as I had all the tools at home. I’d take off the plastic rap and use big rocks (big enough so that he can’t eat them). You could definitely fit a few more plants. Pothos are really good I’ll post pictures of more. I got my plants from Home Depot and a nursery, any you could try and hardware store near you or a nursery they tend to have more options sometimes. Ok so babies his age should be eating as much as they can in one sitting, so you definitely want to feed more! That’s a good idea but you’ll want something for the crickets to climb on. And make sure the the edges can’t hurt him. You can put tubing on it. I’ll post links below. Also make sure you are supplementing and gutloading (attached charts). A mist king is definitely worth your money, you can hand mist but the mist kind will really come in handy. Don’t directly mist him also. Tell me what you need, like what you are looking for so I can provide places, websites and such! Also are you sure he’s a male? Can you post a picture of the back of its feet please!
https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/
https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery?variant=30018608595032
https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/
There are many diy versions out there I’m making a shooting gallery but I can’t find the link to the diy one that I was following. I’ll keep looking

Attachments

• BE812A23-F64B-4925-9399-B34E21160E36.jpeg
    BE812A23-F64B-4925-9399-B34E21160E36.jpeg
    929 KB · Views: 104
  • 952BD131-786B-43B5-B48A-39BD2DC8EEEC.jpeg
    952BD131-786B-43B5-B48A-39BD2DC8EEEC.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 3F3AFA55-4C48-4A66-9D40-83203868E59E.jpeg
    3F3AFA55-4C48-4A66-9D40-83203868E59E.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 95
  • A50D6D4A-EF2B-4191-B0C4-5AE6040F041D.jpeg
    A50D6D4A-EF2B-4191-B0C4-5AE6040F041D.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 111
My feedback in red/bold
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon named Colt! I assuming he’s 2months, I’ve had him for 4 weeks! Post a picture of him!
  • Handling - Once a week Is it him coming out on his own?
  • Feeding - Crickets 5-6 twice a day- Hornworms 2-3 through out the week. Waxworms (recently due to Texas Winter storm for only 3 days. every store I called looking for crickets didn’t have them.) Definitely feeding too little, make sure the hornworms are small enough only 2 whenever you feed them 2-3 times a week as they are treats. Waxworms are also treats so feed only two. Or you can feed one of each but not two of these and two of those. At his age he should be eating as much as he will eat in one sitting. Gutloaded and dusted
  • Supplements - Repti-calcium once daily and Reptivite with D3 twice a month (started that yesterday 2/23) Can I see a picture? Is it the zoo med brand. You’ll want to add a multivitamin without d3. I’ll add a calendar for a schedule. But you’d use calcium without d3 phosphorus free every feeding and calcium with d3 twice a month and the multivitamins twice a month so alternating between the two. Edit: You said it has d3 so only do twice a month.
  • Watering - Misting 3 times a day for 3-4 minutes. I use the little dripper as well. I do see him drink!
  • Fecal Description - normal brownish color, regularly in the same spot everytime. What color are his urates?
  • History - I’ve only had issues with his eye. he was itching on the branch and it occasionally bulged out almost like a bubble. occurred twice, took his to the vet, reccommended some cream if it occurred again and it hasn’t! Pretty sure he might’ve just had something in his eye at the time! Some issues with his first shed but was able to fix that with the help from these forums! This is not uncommon as long as it’s not happening constantly. The bulging is him cleaning his eye. Usually they will flush out the eye and give you eye drops not cream or at least that’s what my vet did.
Cage Info:

• Temperature - basking spot- 80°-83°Bottom of cage ranges from 65°-70°. Night temp: 65°-70° A little to high he’s also a baby so 80°F max
  • Humidity - Levels range from 30%-60% i check it hourly. Daytime, keep it at 30-50% and at night 80%+ up to 100% if you can.
  • Plants - Large live Pathos- Previously have croton as well. I don’t see a pothos? Also no fake plants whatsoever
  • Placement - My bed room, on a desk table just for him, in a corner not near any vents.
  • Location - Dallas, TX

Attachments

• CC0CB108-CF4C-4DBB-9089-0A0B94F7E727.jpeg
    CC0CB108-CF4C-4DBB-9089-0A0B94F7E727.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I’m looking for sticks and ideas of how to get the sticks to be horizontal so that he doesn’t have to climb straight up. and to put more plants in there, how can i set them to be higher in the cage? Where can i find sticks to buy instead of having to find a tree that has a thick enough branch that won’t bend with too much weight.
He is a male! My last thread people had questions about that as well but had confirmed with these older pictures! I will take recent pictures of his feet in the morning when he wakes up!
D9822D36-945D-43F5-98A5-3E64C3F49B28.jpeg
CB9F89BA-DA5A-45D7-8703-00F036013F21.jpeg
8D33E814-2C85-4B05-B5BF-34168029AD41.jpeg

I am gutloading with kale right now, will be getting collard greens once stores get shipment around here🤦🏼‍♀️ i also put kale in his food area for him too, is it okay to put those gutloading foods in there for him as well?

Is there a website or store you recommend getting a cage that size that isn’t so expensive? i’ve seen some range from $250-300 and it includes all these accessories that he’s not suppose to have and that’s such a waste of money in my opinion!

My feedback in red/bold
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon named Colt! I assuming he’s 2months, I’ve had him for 4 weeks! Post a picture of him!
  • Handling - Once a week Is it him coming out on his own?
  • Feeding - Crickets 5-6 twice a day- Hornworms 2-3 through out the week. Waxworms (recently due to Texas Winter storm for only 3 days. every store I called looking for crickets didn’t have them.) Definitely feeding too little, make sure the hornworms are small enough only 2 whenever you feed them 2-3 times a week as they are treats. Waxworms are also treats so feed only two. Or you can feed one of each but not two of these and two of those. At his age he should be eating as much as he will eat in one sitting. Gutloaded and dusted
  • Supplements - Repti-calcium once daily and Reptivite with D3 twice a month (started that yesterday 2/23) Can I see a picture? Is it the zoo med brand. You’ll want to add a multivitamin without d3. I’ll add a calendar for a schedule. But you’d use calcium without d3 phosphorus free every feeding and calcium with d3 twice a month and the multivitamins twice a month so alternating between the two.
  • Fecal Description - normal brownish color, regularly in the same spot everytime. What color are his urates?
  • History - I’ve only had issues with his eye. he was itching on the branch and it occasionally bulged out almost like a bubble. occurred twice, took his to the vet, reccommended some cream if it occurred again and it hasn’t! Pretty sure he might’ve just had something in his eye at the time! Some issues with his first shed but was able to fix that with the help from these forums! This is not uncommon as long as it’s not happening constantly. The bulging is him cleaning his eye. Usually they will flush out the eye and give you eye drops not cream or at least that’s what my vet did.
Cage Info:

• Temperature - basking spot- 80°-83°Bottom of cage ranges from 65°-70°. Night temp: 65°-70° A little to high he’s also a baby so 80°F max
  • Humidity - Levels range from 30%-60% i check it hourly. Daytime, keep it at 30-50% and at night 80%+ up to 100% if you can.
  • Plants - Large live Pathos- Previously have croton as well. I don’t see a pothos? Also no fake plants whatsoever
  • Location - Dallas, TX

coming out on his own. some times he doesn’t want to come out and i don’t force him i just give him his space!

Zoo-Med Repticalcium without D3 and the Reptivite with D3

Urates are white!

How can i increase the humidity to 80%-100% at night?

oh duhh, of course not pathos!😂🤦🏼‍♀️ for some reason i keep calling the umbrella plant a pathos!

I’m looking for sticks and ideas of how to get the sticks to be horizontal so that he doesn’t have to climb straight up. and to put more plants in there, how can i set them to be higher in the cage? Where can i find sticks to buy instead of having to find a tree that has a thick enough branch that won’t bend with too much weight.
He is a male! My last thread people had questions about that as well but had confirmed with these older pictures! I will take recent pictures of his feet in the morning when he wakes up!View attachment 293676View attachment 293677View attachment 293678

I am gutloading with kale right now, will be getting collard greens once stores get shipment around here🤦🏼‍♀️ i also put kale in his food area for him too, is it okay to put those gutloading foods in there for him as well?

Is there a website or store you recommend getting a cage that size that isn’t so expensive? i’ve seen some range from $250-300 and it includes all these accessories that he’s not suppose to have and that’s such a waste of money in my opinion!
Well there’s the DIY one (linked) and the dragon strand that is pricier but definitely worth it. (There are other options I just usually recommend these) You could buy the DIY one buy and add dragon strand ledges to it as well! I think the kale has something in it that’s not good but I’m not exactly sure. Try anything else in those categories at least one of each category. No it’s unnecessary just gutload the feeders all of the nutrients from the gutloaded feeders will go to him. You can leave like a carrot in his feeder cup I doubt he’ll eat it but honestly just gutload and dust. Oh and if you want to make it there are lots of resources out there too just keep in mind it’s not always cheaper!
https://www.diycages.com/collections/vertical-screen-reptile-chameleon-cages/products/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage
https://dragonstrand.com/product/tall-screen-chameleon-cage-system/

Last edited:
coming out on his own. some times he doesn’t want to come out and i don’t force him i just give him his space!

Zoo-Med Repticalcium without D3 and the Reptivite with D3

Urates are white!

How can i increase the humidity to 80%-100% at night?

oh duhh, of course not pathos!😂🤦🏼‍♀️ for some reason i keep calling the umbrella plant a pathos!
You can add a cool mist humidifier and have it go on at night for a few hours. You could also try adding shower curtains to the sides of the enclosure. You should definitely add a pothos! Take out any fake plants as they are an impaction risk. Since the multivitamins have d3 you’ll give him that twice a month and no alternating between the calcium with d3. So the days marked in blue calcium without d3 phosphorus free and the days in red the multivitamins. Can you post another picture of his enclosure? Ooooo also of the top so I can show you something you can do! (I’m bad at describing how to do stuff :hilarious:) It’s much cheaper just going out and getting sticks. Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube has some great videos!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMzM6Zuzpg
https://m.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon/videos?disable_polymer=true&itct=CBIQ8JMBGAEiEwi61v2K1IDvAhXWl8QKHRyLBs0=&disable_polymer=true&rootVe=3611

Attachments

• 840C846B-37F9-4BC1-A658-5A0076263220.jpeg
    840C846B-37F9-4BC1-A658-5A0076263220.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Forgot to mention this but how big are his feeders? Rule of thumb is they should be no bigger that the width between their eyes, hornworms are an exception as they are soft bodied and squishy but should still be sized appropriately. Read through this if you haven’t already, chameleon academy has the most accurate and up to date info. Definitely read through their page
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

My only two cents is that you should invest in a solar meter! I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/Solarmeter-M...9&sr=1-1-e30f047d-8e3c-4340-8179-6a77ce88d756

It allows you to get the proper placement of his basking branch, and other branches as well. Here is a great thread endorsing solar meters and explains what readings from the bulbs you should aim for and what distances from the basking branch etc. from the UVB bulb (depending on which one you choose. I recommend the t5 5.0 without a reflector because with my solarmeter now, I realized that the reflector was making it too intense through the screen even when raised a good distance from the top of the screen cage. So now I just use a t5 light fixture w/o a reflector and use my solarmeter to make sure I'm getting the type of readings at the top and at the bottom portions of my chameleons cage to make sure my branch placements and plants are placed properly throughout the cage, creating areas in their cage that are safe and healthy for them to thrive in, just like they would naturally in the wild.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...testing-8-uvb-bulbs-with-a-solarmeter.173251/

Also, to cover your plants soil I would use large river rocks instead of the plastic so that you can more easily water the plant and so that the soil can breathe better so mold doesn't grow. In terms of keeping live plants alive, you will want to purchase a grow light in the 6500k range. I have two t5 grow lights that run directly across the top of my cage and have had plants die on me only because of overwatering/root rot. Lol pay attention to what plant you place in the cage and look up how to care for them because some like a lot of light and others don't. Some like a lot of water, others like it dry. Some like soil mixed with gravel because of how their roots grow...idk lol. But yea, live plants are a must for veileds' especially since they are notorious leaf eaters. Also, if your plant dies and you purchased it from Lowes within a year, it comes with a year warranty and you can take it back for a new one. But, as long as you repot the plant correctly and place it in a pot with a good soil (one that allows good drainage and space for the roots to grow), you shouldn't have plants die on you especially if you use that grow light. The grow light also makes it brighter in the chameleons cage which just looks better imo lol.

My set-up isn't the best, but my chameleons are healthy and I'm getting the proper UVB readings, humidity levels, and temperature readings throughout the cage. My chameleon does not climb the sides of the cage or the top, which is a sign that they're usually content with the habitat you've provided for them. Screen climbing is expected for the first couple of days your chameleon is adjusting to his new set-up, but if it persists and is frequent, it is often an indication that there is a problem with some part of your husbandry and, or, the set-up that you need to further investigate and quickly fix or else it will lead to health problems in your chameleon. Vet bills and costs can be expensive and by following the chameleon academy's instructions on how to set-up the cage and the lights etc. properly, you can save yourself some money, and the worry, and the stress by having everything correct the first time around. Literally, I return to the chameleon academy frequently and even listen to the podcast a lot when I have a question about something relating to my chameleon, or about my chameleon, and everything is already right there answered and explained for you. I love it. It wasn't around 10 years ago when I first started. My chameleons in the past were kept too hot, my female laid way too many eggs, and the UVB readings in their cages were probably off the charts, and I also didn't use as many plants as I do now and I can tell you that, the chameleons I have now vs. the ones I kept in the past, are much less stressed it seems. They don't even seem to care when I'm in the room like some of my older Chams did. They are less stressed. And nicer to me too. :ROFLMAO:

tempImageWzuNLW.png

On to a new set-up now! Notice how I have the UVB for this cage elevated really high off the top of the screen of his cage? It's because it's already a 5.0 T5 high output bulb, in a fixture with a reflector dome. The UVB readings were way too high even at the lower portions of the cage where they should be approaching 0 on my solarmeter when I measure the UVB in the cage through the screen, when it rests directly on the top of the cage, and even a few inches off the top. I didn't know these readings were so high at first when I got my Nosy be a back in the beginning of January, and then I began to periodically catch him closing his right eye during the day, which I first attributed it to a vitamin A deficiency, but then I tweaked my lighting orientation and he hasn't done this since I made the change a while ago and haven't had problems since.

ONE MORE THING lol. Drainage is key. On the floor of the cage I drill holes down the middle in-between the pots of the plants that sit on top of the floor of the cage so that the water that drains from the pots, or falls from the leaves, doesn't just sit and collect at the bottom, it drains into a Tupperware I have underneath the cage that collects the dirty water for me and keeps everything dry, like my carpet underneath it all, which would absolutely deteriorate with all that water on it constantly. Dragon ledges accomplishes this with a much simpler design, again lol. But it works for me, for now.

tempImagedkziwJ.png

Sorry for the lengthy post. I hope that I could help in anyway. Enjoy your new chameleon. They're awesome creatures. I'm still learning new things about how to better care for mine still to this day, and I've been keeping panther's for about 4 or 5 years now. You never stop learning, or you shouldn't at least, when it comes to caring for these wonderful creatures.

Attachments

• tempImageWy8iGM.png
    tempImageWy8iGM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 88
Cute little chameleon....love the name!

One concern I have that I don't think was mentioned (I scanned all the comments but might have missed it being said already) ...he edge of the container you have in the cage looks like it's quite sharp...I'm concerned he might cut his tongue on it. Do not fix it by putting tape on it. I'd find another container.

You can add a cool mist humidifier and have it go on at night for a few hours. You could also try adding shower curtains to the sides of the enclosure. You should definitely add a pothos! Take out any fake plants as they are an impaction risk. Since the multivitamins have d3 you’ll give him that twice a month and no alternating between the calcium with d3. So the days marked in blue calcium without d3 phosphorus free and the days in red the multivitamins. Can you post another picture of his enclosure? Ooooo also of the top so I can show you something you can do! (I’m bad at describing how to do stuff :hilarious:) It’s much cheaper just going out and getting sticks. Neptune the Chameleon on YouTube has some great videos!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMzM6Zuzpg
https://m.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon/videos?disable_polymer=true&itct=CBIQ8JMBGAEiEwi61v2K1IDvAhXWl8QKHRyLBs0=&disable_polymer=true&rootVe=3611

These are pictures i took 30 minutes ago! (wasn’t amused with me taking pictures of him this morning 🥺) I took the fake leaves out shortly after these were taken! please disregard those! I will take the plastic off the plant as well and put rocks as suggested!

Attachments

• 90DEFC64-49EB-4169-85BB-482F7742D7AB.jpeg
    90DEFC64-49EB-4169-85BB-482F7742D7AB.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 76AA02EB-FA74-4820-8D0C-A46E3A0BF6AD.jpeg
    76AA02EB-FA74-4820-8D0C-A46E3A0BF6AD.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 59CEA7BE-5E7C-4153-B6E5-FC1F12E9E3DB.jpeg
    59CEA7BE-5E7C-4153-B6E5-FC1F12E9E3DB.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 106
  • A958F8BC-9CF2-42CB-8648-41AF258131F7.jpeg
    A958F8BC-9CF2-42CB-8648-41AF258131F7.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 109
Cute little chameleon....love the name!

One concern I have that I don't think was mentioned (I scanned all the comments but might have missed it being said already) ...he edge of the container you have in the cage looks like it's quite sharp...I'm concerned he might cut his tongue on it. Do not fix it by putting tape on it. I'd find another container.
Yes! I changed it this morning! That container was actually given to me at a Reptarium cut just like that🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• 986EEB72-AE88-4E4E-A816-BAB6F65F874A.jpeg
    986EEB72-AE88-4E4E-A816-BAB6F65F874A.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 82
My only two cents is that you should invest in a solar meter! I bought this one https://www.amazon.com/Solarmeter-M...9&sr=1-1-e30f047d-8e3c-4340-8179-6a77ce88d756

It allows you to get the proper placement of his basking branch, and other branches as well. Here is a great thread endorsing solar meters and explains what readings from the bulbs you should aim for and what distances from the basking branch etc. from the UVB bulb (depending on which one you choose. I recommend the t5 5.0 without a reflector because with my solarmeter now, I realized that the reflector was making it too intense through the screen even when raised a good distance from the top of the screen cage. So now I just use a t5 light fixture w/o a reflector and use my solarmeter to make sure I'm getting the type of readings at the top and at the bottom portions of my chameleons cage to make sure my branch placements and plants are placed properly throughout the cage, creating areas in their cage that are safe and healthy for them to thrive in, just like they would naturally in the wild.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...testing-8-uvb-bulbs-with-a-solarmeter.173251/

Also, to cover your plants soil I would use large river rocks instead of the plastic so that you can more easily water the plant and so that the soil can breathe better so mold doesn't grow. In terms of keeping live plants alive, you will want to purchase a grow light in the 6500k range. I have two t5 grow lights that run directly across the top of my cage and have had plants die on me only because of overwatering/root rot. Lol pay attention to what plant you place in the cage and look up how to care for them because some like a lot of light and others don't. Some like a lot of water, others like it dry. Some like soil mixed with gravel because of how their roots grow...idk lol. But yea, live plants are a must for veileds' especially since they are notorious leaf eaters. Also, if your plant dies and you purchased it from Lowes within a year, it comes with a year warranty and you can take it back for a new one. But, as long as you repot the plant correctly and place it in a pot with a good soil (one that allows good drainage and space for the roots to grow), you shouldn't have plants die on you especially if you use that grow light. The grow light also makes it brighter in the chameleons cage which just looks better imo lol.

My set-up isn't the best, but my chameleons are healthy and I'm getting the proper UVB readings, humidity levels, and temperature readings throughout the cage. My chameleon does not climb the sides of the cage or the top, which is a sign that they're usually content with the habitat you've provided for them. Screen climbing is expected for the first couple of days your chameleon is adjusting to his new set-up, but if it persists and is frequent, it is often an indication that there is a problem with some part of your husbandry and, or, the set-up that you need to further investigate and quickly fix or else it will lead to health problems in your chameleon. Vet bills and costs can be expensive and by following the chameleon academy's instructions on how to set-up the cage and the lights etc. properly, you can save yourself some money, and the worry, and the stress by having everything correct the first time around. Literally, I return to the chameleon academy frequently and even listen to the podcast a lot when I have a question about something relating to my chameleon, or about my chameleon, and everything is already right there answered and explained for you. I love it. It wasn't around 10 years ago when I first started. My chameleons in the past were kept too hot, my female laid way too many eggs, and the UVB readings in their cages were probably off the charts, and I also didn't use as many plants as I do now and I can tell you that, the chameleons I have now vs. the ones I kept in the past, are much less stressed it seems. They don't even seem to care when I'm in the room like some of my older Chams did. They are less stressed. And nicer to me too. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 293701

On to a new set-up now! Notice how I have the UVB for this cage elevated really high off the top of the screen of his cage? It's because it's already a 5.0 T5 high output bulb, in a fixture with a reflector dome. The UVB readings were way too high even at the lower portions of the cage where they should be approaching 0 on my solarmeter when I measure the UVB in the cage through the screen, when it rests directly on the top of the cage, and even a few inches off the top. I didn't know these readings were so high at first when I got my Nosy be a back in the beginning of January, and then I began to periodically catch him closing his right eye during the day, which I first attributed it to a vitamin A deficiency, but then I tweaked my lighting orientation and he hasn't done this since I made the change a while ago and haven't had problems since.

ONE MORE THING lol. Drainage is key. On the floor of the cage I drill holes down the middle in-between the pots of the plants that sit on top of the floor of the cage so that the water that drains from the pots, or falls from the leaves, doesn't just sit and collect at the bottom, it drains into a Tupperware I have underneath the cage that collects the dirty water for me and keeps everything dry, like my carpet underneath it all, which would absolutely deteriorate with all that water on it constantly. Dragon ledges accomplishes this with a much simpler design, again lol. But it works for me, for now.

View attachment 293704

Sorry for the lengthy post. I hope that I could help in anyway. Enjoy your new chameleon. They're awesome creatures. I'm still learning new things about how to better care for mine still to this day, and I've been keeping panther's for about 4 or 5 years now. You never stop learning, or you shouldn't at least, when it comes to caring for these wonderful creatures.
So in my cage i have the reptile carpet so that it’s not just the plastic tray at the bottom, is that okay to have? i can’t really tell what’s at the bottom of your cage but if there’s something other than plastic or the carpet to put at the bottom of the cage i’d love to change it up!

View attachment 293701

View attachment 293704

also, i’ve noticed a lot of people saying to invest in a light timer plug in and not the ones you can get from a pet store. Some people say to get them from walmart but all the ones i’ve seen have two plugs in but one is for day time only and the other is for night time only. Since there’s no lights to leave on at night and i need to plug in for the two lights, is there a way to change that or a certain type of timer plug in i’m not finding?

also, i’ve noticed a lot of people saying to invest in a light timer plug in and not the ones you can get from a pet store. Some people say to get them from walmart but all the ones i’ve seen have two plugs in but one is for day time only and the other is for night time only. Since there’s no lights to leave on at night and i need to plug in for the two lights, is there a way to change that or a certain type of timer plug in i’m not finding?

Attachments

• 16141835973966904798304989642752.jpg
    16141835973966904798304989642752.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 83
So in my cage i have the reptile carpet so that it’s not just the plastic tray at the bottom, is that okay to have? i can’t really tell what’s at the bottom of your cage but if there’s something other than plastic or the carpet to put at the bottom of the cage i’d love to change it up!
Take it out it’s a breeding ground for bacteria. You can just have a bare bottom nothing on it besides the pots for the plants. Yes you should invest in an automatic timer I use this one (attached). The one already already showed is good as well. You can find it on Amazon as well as a Hardware store like Home Depot. There are different models so just choose one you like. Now give me a second to go through the rest!

Attachments

• 5BC9AAAC-71EE-43AE-8556-9876901B4412.jpeg
    5BC9AAAC-71EE-43AE-8556-9876901B4412.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom