Lost

Wally37

So i put my jacksons in the little tree in my backyard while cleaning his cage the other day, as i often do. Although this time when i went to get him he was gone...He is young about 4 to 5 inches, and i live on long island in ny. The temps right now arent to hot but they will be in the 90s soon enough. Do you think he can survive the summer? Maybe allowing me enough time to find him.

Also exactly how strong is a chams grip? Because it was pretty windy so im afraid he might have fell and climbed up another tree, theres a very bushy but relatively short tree right next to the one i put him in.

Has this ever happened to anyone? And did you ever find him or her?

This is almost as bad as the time my turtle ran away...

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your cham but he's out there. I suggest you look and look and look and hopefully you will find him. He probably went to a close by tree or bush. For future reference NEVER leave a Cham free range outside without being there with him and keeping your eye on him every single second.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your cham but he's out there. I suggest you look and look and look and hopefully you will find him. He probably went to a close by tree or bush. For future reference NEVER leave a Cham free range outside without being there with him and keeping your eye on him every single second.

I also agree with this.

I am sorry he is lost, but hopefully you can find him soon.

Normally you should never leave your chameleon out of your sight or this may occur, no matter how much you think he likes you, they will run.

He hasn't gone far possibly. I'd just turn the yard apart to find him and if not, keep looking and maybe he will be back.

Yeah don't get discouraged. There was a member who posted pretty much the exact same story, then like a month later their neighbor saw a bunch of kids taking pictures of something in the street, and low and behold, it was their wayward cham, fat and well. Now would probably be a good time to look, since he'll be all lit up in his PJs

I have watched my chams when they are escaping their freerange, or think they are escaping their freerange. They always go to the nearest tall tree. They usually bypass the small brush. That's where I would start my search. Hope this helps, good luck

You are not alone, this same thing will happen to a number of other people as no one believes their Cham will disappear. THEY will! Now go outside in the dark with a flashlight and look for your Cham. They sort of glow at night, and may be near the end of the branch. Good luck.

Gosh, I can imagine the heartbreak you must be feeling right now. I'm starting to leave my chams cage open while I'm in the room, I left for a minute to attend to something and I thought she had escaped. After frantically searching, I realized she was just hiding deep in the leaves where I had never seen her perch before.

Keep on looking. Although I do not know the loss of a chameleon, I do know the loss of a beloved pet. Hopefully the best comes of your situation. Good luck to you.

I had my cham outside a few weeks ago and had him in his tree. I turned by back for a few seconds and he was on the ground running. They are very fast when they see an escape. I hope you find him :)

I would wait until just after sunset. Sit out there with a flashlight and look up from underneath the trees, than work your way to the outside on the very ends of the branches. They get very pale at night and if he is around, he should be fairly easy to spot. I agree that it will go for the tallest tree around, so the second part of that plan is to have a plan to get him out of the tree if you find him.

I would think a 5'' green jax would be very hard to find, day or night.

I have spent a good 30 minutes finding mine on the living room free range.

Also, there are birds of prey to consider, they can swoop down and grab
prey so fast you would never notice.

Best to recruit all the help you can, and start your search in the tallest trees and bushes.

If he did climb another tree that would mean he either fell or climbed down..but he never climbed down before only up, why would this change? In fact in the past he always stayed on the same branch i put him on, now i fear the worse like a bird got him.

My Jackson will climb down to the ground as soon as I turn my back. He then starts sprinting. This is why I ended up building an outdoor cage for his sunshine time.

In the wild they are constantly moving around, and in captivity we have them in a cage...it's their nature to want to be in the tallest tree they can, so if they see one, guess where they are going. This is the time of year when people are moving the chams outside now that it's warming up. Most have been cooped up all winter, and now they are feeling good with the warm weather. For future reference, never leave them outside alone for even 1 minute. I literally sit in the grass with my phone or a book and just hangout while mine is in his tree and you won't even believe how many times he climbs down and tries to get away. If I have to go inside, he comes with me. Think of it as a child, you can't leave your toddler outside unattended because they might run in the street. The best thing to do is build or buy a screened cage to put him in outside.

It happened to me last year. It was Senegal cham. I took him to the short tree. Where could he go ? But After a few looking I saw him. He was on a very tall tree. Abaut 8 meters long. I climbed tree and got him back to his cage :D But I very wonder how could he change his tree ?? It was ımpossible. There was no way to change. I decided to do it again. I put him to same tree(small one) and I started to watch. Five minutes later I understand everything. When the wind get stronger the other trees branch heeled. and there was a way to escape from short tree to long tree :D

lookin when it gets dark with a Q-beam portable spotlight or a good flashlight is easier to spot sleeping chams in the trees an bushes.. ive had to find a few an always found them in the eve and dark when they hunkered down to sleep an lightened up a bit.. the above mentioned Q-beam portable spotlights works great..
keep looking....

I have an escapee in my house right now, came home yesterday and he was off his free range, my husband and I tore the chameleons room apart.. nothing.. so strange.. waiting for him to decide to come back from whatever spot hes hiding.. advice?

I have an escapee in my house right now, came home yesterday and he was off his free range, my husband and I tore the chameleons room apart.. nothing.. so strange.. waiting for him to decide to come back from whatever spot hes hiding.. advice?

Lock up your cat.

If he did climb another tree that would mean he either fell or climbed down..but he never climbed down before only up, why would this change? In fact in the past he always stayed on the same branch i put him on, now i fear the worse like a bird got him.
keeping looking! i read about a member whos chameleon took off outside and he found him several months later in a big pine tree all fat and happy. dont give up and i hope you find him.

be careful everywhere you walk and move things because he could be hiding anywhere! hope he pops out soon!

Look on electrical cords behind furniture.

Back
Top Bottom