Lost toenail?

wodesorel

Established Member
Jane was missing one nail from her front foot when I got her, but now the other nail on the same foot, same side is also missing. It happened sometime in the last week for sure. She is not a screen-crawler, so I'm wondering why this may have happened? I don't think I need to be worried, but wanted to double check.

It's happens usually from climbing screens. Even though you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen when no one is around. My chams seem to be more active when no one is around and I sneak up and catch them running all over once I'm around they act like little kids who got caught being naughty.

I wish she was active! I accidentally left her cage wide open for an entire day last week and she never budged from her basking spot.

Is the area swollen or does it look like the nail was ripped out? I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure there is no infection.

That was something I was wondering about. It looked normal to me, but I'll get a photo in morning. It looked the same as the one that was already missing.

I hate it when my pets prove me wrong... walked in today to find her wedged between the pots at the bottom of the tank. I don't know if she was cruising, or slipped, or what. I got her free and she tried to scale the screen. She also lost a nail on a different foot. She seems fine, ate with gusto from the cup I was holding once I got her back to her basking spot.

I hate it when my pets prove me wrong... walked in today to find her wedged between the pots at the bottom of the tank. I don't know if she was cruising, or slipped, or what. I got her free and she tried to scale the screen. She also lost a nail on a different foot. She seems fine, ate with gusto from the cup I was holding once I got her back to her basking spot.

I absolutely hate screen cages because of all the damage done to their feet.

I absolutely hate screen cages because of all the damage done to their feet.
What do you recommend? We'll be building her a new one in hopefully two or three months if everything goes as planned. (Building a larger enclosure for my hermits, which will leave their old one empty for our snake, which will leave the space needed for the chameleon.) I figured I'd have to use screen so the crickets don't end up everywhere?

Edit: Also, I added more smaller branches that are vertical so she can get up the sides easier without having to resort to the screen. She doesn't seem want to use the thicker supports or the plants to pull herself up. Once the weather breaks this weekend I'll cut some better ones for her.

There always is the option of a glass tank but many members prefer not to use that and recommend against using them because of the chameleon's tenancy for respiratory problems. But some use it. I am not sure how they do it, and I urge you to do more research on them if your cham is a wall climber.

What do you recommend? We'll be building her a new one in hopefully two or three months if everything goes as planned. (Building a larger enclosure for my hermits, which will leave their old one empty for our snake, which will leave the space needed for the chameleon.) I figured I'd have to use screen so the crickets don't end up everywhere?

Edit: Also, I added more smaller branches that are vertical so she can get up the sides easier without having to resort to the screen. She doesn't seem want to use the thicker supports or the plants to pull herself up. Once the weather breaks this weekend I'll cut some better ones for her.

I use DragonStrand Breeder cages. (They are a site sponsor. Have a look at their web site for ideas.) They are three sides solid and screen front and top. I've also used only screen top. With solid sided caging, you can push the plants up against the three sides and they won't be as inclined to climb. As they get heavier, they do fall and rip out toe nails and it is really painful for them.. I still have the odd climber, but if I see it, I will carefully take them off the screen.

In the mean time, you can do things like adding some plastic mesh netting against the screen. Not the wire covered with a plastic coating but plastic deer fencing (not the flimsy stuff). That will give them solid grid to climb on without using the screen. I've never done that myself--I got rid of the cages--but it was an idea I had. Just make sure they can't get trapped in the openings.

I think most chameleons want very small branches as I see you've also discovered.

Actually, that sounds like exactly what I was planning - coroplast on three sides, and screen on the front, top and bottom to allow for airflow.

I'm also wondering if she's getting ready to lay eggs. In the (albeit) 2 and a half months I've had her, this is the first time I have ever seen her off her basking branch. I caught her at the bottom of the tank for a second time this afternoon. I let her be this time, and she climbed back up herself, thought it was by using the screen. :mad:

As sort of a poor-man's dragon ledges, I used vinyl lattice from Home Depot, zip tied on the frame of the new set up I finished over the weekend. My intention was just to provide a more stable surface to attach branches and things, but I've noticed him using them quite a bit to move around and explore.

I also agree about the small branches. I picked up some thinner ones, trimmed from a tree at my parents' house to replace some of the thicker ones I have in there right now. I guess they like the stability of being able to get their whole foot around them.

20160116_172331.jpg

Back
Top Bottom