Lost my little dude today :'(

jaimeerosko

Hi everyone.

Lucki passed away today. He had been fragile and delicate since the day I picked him up. I almost lost him on day one, he slept most of the Friday and Saturday after the Thursday night I brought him home. He was dehydrated when he arrived and uninterested/afraid of the water and food offered at first; he was so tiny that the smallest cricket I could find to feed was still too big for him. I found fruit flies and some small worms for him after receiving suggestions from members here. I followed the "Panther Chameleon Care Sheet" from this website almost exactly. I'm not really sure if his health had already been compromised when I got him or if something else happened while in my care. :(

A week ago, he closed his right eye for good. We went to the vet the next day and they flushed the eyeball and gave me some eyedrops to take home. The vet said his health and activity was great overall. His alertness, appetite, tailcurling, and general vigor for life seemed enthusiastic and promising. A few days after our visit, his energy seemed to decline. I'm not sure if it was the stress of the visit, the eyedrops, or something else altogether.

I want to thank the few people who have taken the time to read and respond to my questions that I have posted here. I know that a lot of people want new forum users to use the search button (which I do), but it was much appreciated to get real time responses to my specific questions versus generic or incomplete solutions.

I hope whatever happened to Lucki wasn't something I did to him. :( I consider myself a Doolittle and take care of people's pets for a living. I have a Great Dane and two specialty breed cats that I rescued and nursed back to health after their former owners had given up on them. I've nursed newborn reindeer when their mothers rejected them, I have kept successful aquariums of unusual fish and have helped others save their fish from the verge of death. I now have an absolute newfound love and interest in chameleons and I hope to one day parent another, though the thought of losing one again sounds pretty horrible.. Especially at such a young age. :(

Lucki was (allegedly) 3-4 months old when I brought him home. He was less than an inch long and weighed about as much as a paperclip. At the vet, at 4-5 months old, he weighed exactly one gram and was hardly any longer, but certainly hardier. The vet estimated his age at 3-4 weeks due to his tiny stature; no one in the office had ever seen a chameleon so small, they all took photos with him while they warmed him up after we arrived from the drive there.

For such a little bitty guy, he certainly made a big difference in my life. He had so much personality, and had been my whole world during the time he was here. I had a tremendous amount of love for this tiny little lizard that came to me for such a small amount of time. He brought me so much joy; he was so brave and inquisitive. Seeing my baby chameleon eagerly hunt tiny fruit flies was probably one of the cutest and most joyous experience I have had as a mom.

I am so, so sad and heartbroken over this.. Lucki left a tiny hole in my heart today. When you see your lizard loves today, give them a few more moments of extra appreciation, and an extra mist and a cricket or two, from me. <3

I will be burying Lucki somewhere nice sometime tomorrow. :'(

IMG_2846.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Jaimeerosko, I am so so sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to work so hard for such a young animal. There isn't any leeway in a gram sized baby--they are just too fragile. A gram is the size of a newly hatched baby of the species I breed--that's tiny! I can't imagine a novice trying to keep something so small alive. You had no idea what you were in for--how could you?

It is not uncommon for a gravely ill animal to perk up at the vet's, especially a chameleon that will be worried it is about to be eaten. Yes, a vet visit is stressful and might have complicated his health status but he had to go. You did the right thing.

It sounds like Lucki was in a lot of trouble before you got him. Healthy babies don't almost die the day they arrive nor do they sleep for the next couple of days. They aren't dehydrated and most importantly, they grow. Rest assured, you are not to fault for this and I am so so sorry for the heartbreak you are going through. Tiny babies' deaths are always particularly painful.

I am angry with the person who sold him to you. Babies that small should not be in the hands of novices--they are just too fragile at the best of times. I'm furious that the seller didn't make sure you had appropriately-sized feeders.

Did you have him shipped to you or did you buy him from a store/breeder? How long did you have him for?

I hope you eventually get another chameleon. Please get one from a reputable breeder and not a tiny baby. Again, I'm so sorry.

Oh my heart breaks for you! He was a special little boy, that much I can certainly tell. Take heart that you did all you could. Warm regards from Darkstar and myself in Portland, OR.

I fully agree with jajeanpierre. These guys are quite tough to take care of as new hatchlings. As a panther breeder myself a feel by blood boiling when I see hatchlings for sale! My advice. You have learned a lot! Don't give up! Get back on the horse and ride again! Just get one a little older this time! Best of luck!

I'm so sorry for your loss :(:( he was a beautiful little guy.

To echo what the others said, he was much too young to be sold. So don't beat yourself up, you really tried.

For my first cham I purchased one a little bit older (5-6 months) they are much bigger and heartier and easier to learn with at that age :) I always recommend trying that for the newest keepers. It helped me build my confidence in my care so that I could get my next 2 as babies.

Good luck in the future and I hope to see you around here again :)

Jaimeerosko, I am so so sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to work so hard for such a young animal. There isn't any leeway in a gram sized baby--they are just too fragile. A gram is the size of a newly hatched baby of the species I breed--that's tiny! I can't imagine a novice trying to keep something so small alive. You had no idea what you were in for--how could you?

It is not uncommon for a gravely ill animal to perk up at the vet's, especially a chameleon that will be worried it is about to be eaten. Yes, a vet visit is stressful and might have complicated his health status but he had to go. You did the right thing.

It sounds like Lucki was in a lot of trouble before you got him. Healthy babies don't almost die the day they arrive nor do they sleep for the next couple of days. They aren't dehydrated and most importantly, they grow. Rest assured, you are not to fault for this and I am so so sorry for the heartbreak you are going through. Tiny babies' deaths are always particularly painful.

I am angry with the person who sold him to you. Babies that small should not be in the hands of novices--they are just too fragile at the best of times. I'm furious that the seller didn't make sure you had appropriately-sized feeders.

Did you have him shipped to you or did you buy him from a store/breeder? How long did you have him for?

I hope you eventually get another chameleon. Please get one from a reputable breeder and not a tiny baby. Again, I'm so sorry.
That's horrible! This forum isn't set up to evaluate breeders/sellers, but I hope you will share your sad experience with the Fauna Classifieds Board of Inquiry. You can warn other potential buyers that this person had no problem selling such tiny babies to anyone. It is careless and mercenary. Not only for the poor cham, but for the buyer who has to watch them decline and die.

Poor little thing, I hope karma visits soon!

Awe he was so cute. I am so sorry. The chameleon in my avatar was 2 grams when I got him and came down with a parasite. I was able to get meds in him thankfully and he recovered. You seem like you really care and will make a great keeper for another chameleon, so I hope you will give it another shot.

I'm so sorry about Lucki... He was an adorable little guy. The others have already said it, he was far too little to be sold, especially to a novice. It seems like you did everything you could, so please don't blame yourself. Take that knowledge Lucki helped give you and use it to provide a good home for another chameleon, as well as educate any other people you can.

It's a shame Lucki went before he even really got a chance to experience life. I have to agree with the others saying to post a review of the seller. Selling babies so young is just not okay.

With tears streaming down my face I want to say how sorry I am that Lucki passed away- I can't imagine the pain that you feel at the moment, I have a young cham - sold to me too young- at the moment and celebrate every day I have with him so I know what a struggle it can be. Well done you for caring so deeply for him and again I am so desperately sorry for you.

I am so so sorry for your loss of little Lucki. He was so adorable. You did everything you could so I hope this doesn't hold you back from getting another cham in the future, when you're ready. RIP sweet Lucki!

Thank you, everyone for your kind words. I thought all day about where to bury Lucki, wondering what he would like or where he would be happy.. I decided to put him in my yard. I realized he seemed mostly happy and would have had a nice life here had he had the chance. :(

Hi jajeanpierre. Thanks for your response.

To answer your questions..

I did not have him shipped, I picked him up. Obviously things with reptiles are different but with furry mammals, shipping is frowned upon. Like if a breeder wants to ship a dog or a cat, you shouldn't buy from them. Lucki was about two hours away and I just drove to get him and brought him home.

I had him for almost exactly one month only. :( He looked questionable the night I got him (but obviously asleep), and looked really bad the next day (Friday-slept *all* day) and part of Saturday. I texted the breeder (Saturday afternoon) and at the same time he finally perked up. Also I want to mention that there were 2-3 weeks after that of him looking pretty happy and healthy. It wasn't until the day that he shut his eye that I got concerned again; I'm still not sure of the reason of why it happened. He was great at the vet and then shortly after, declined.

I am also upset that the breeder didn't give me any feeders. I had no idea how hard it would be to find food that was so small. The breeder was aware that that was my first cham. Oh, I should also mention that I had no idea he would be this small. When I originally spoke with him, the babies were 2-3 months old, I got him one month after that. I was astonished that he was small than an average freshwater fish. I even said "I have never been in charge of something so small that wasn't a fish." But, what could I do at that point? I didn't know any better.

I'm attaching a few photos from the night I brought him home. He was on a paper towel in a little takeout tub when I got him, that's what he's sitting on in the first photo. The second photo was for records.

IMG_3150.PNG

IMG_3151.PNG

Last edited:
I'm really so sorry.

How could you know? You hear two months old and you think they are well established the way a puppy or kitten would be.

I believe I tracked down your breeder when you first posted about Lucki and gave him a piece of my mind. There were a quite a few people who showed up with panther babies around the same time you did. I was horrified anyone would sell something so small and delicate to people with no experience. I expected them all to die. I just couldn't believe someone could be so heartless--not caring about the little creatures they produced and not caring about the heartache the new owners were going to go through trying to keep tiny babies alive when they had zero experience and likely not the right set up.

The "breeder's" response--and I use the term "breeder" loosely since this was their one and only clutch from their first two chameleons they've owned that they've since gotten rid of--was that people like you should have done more research. I was disgusted s/he could be so cavalier with your money, your emotions and the lives of those tiny babies. I was angry that first experience into the joys of chameleons for most if not all of his buyers would be one of heartbreak.

I'm really sorry. From your description, this baby was in trouble before you picked him up. Babies that small that get into trouble almost always die. They are just too small to treat. They don't have the margin for error that a bigger animal has. Everything was stacked against you and Lucki.

Don't give up on chameleons. Find a reputable breeder who will sell you a well-started young animal who will give you support if you need it, who will make sure you have what you need. There are several panther breeders sponsors on this web site. I know one I feel confident to recommend who has something now although you might not be ready.. Don't be afraid to ship--it is really a nothing event for the baby. When I ship my babies off, I pack them up around dinner time and drive them to the FedEx beside the airport. They just got to sleep. Their new owners pick them up from the FedEx Ship Center early the next morning and they don't miss a beat.

Grieve and then get yourself a new baby to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom