Lost my eggs

Cali Reaper

some of you might remember that my 2 females laid eggs well, it was a total of 68 eggs, all shriveled and molded, now in my last 2 eggs surviving and they are in their 6 months, they are starting to build mold. I do not know why they are shriveling and molding. I kept the temperature no more than 77 degrees and humidity level at 70%, I am using a zoomed Reptibator and I am using Pangea Medium. I placed the pangea Medium in a clear top aware container and add water in the topaware with no lid since the replicator has a lid on it. I am deciding to not use the Reptibator and go for Exo Terra incubator instead and use this as my Medium http://incubatorwarehouse.com/reptile-incubation-medium.html?gclid=CIaK_IbUoNMCFQO4wAodvKMNvQ what do you guys think?

Sorry to hear you lost your eggs.

Leaving the lid off may have been part of your problem if the eggs were fertile.
What's the temperature in your house? You may not need an incubator at all.
I haven't used that medium so I don't know if it would be part of the problem or not.

I found out that the best way to incubate eggs is to put them in a dark closet or drawer. The room temperature is just fine for them. I had 100% success with this technique.

Sorry to hear you lost your eggs.

Leaving the lid off may have been part of your problem if the eggs were fertile.
What's the temperature in your house? You may not need an incubator at all.
I haven't used that medium so I don't know if it would be part of the problem or not.

The first month I left the lid on and noticed that 10 eggs were all full of mold and the temperature remain at no more than 75 degrees and I let a little vent open from their just to get some cool air but that vent is very small. My apartment temprature is withinv 69-72 degrees. I live in California

I found out that the best way to incubate eggs is to put them in a dark closet or drawer. The room temperature is just fine for them. I had 100% success with this technique.

What incubator medium do you use? I do not want my medium to mold and noticed that the medium I use does not help in Molding.

How wet was the substrate?
I use the coarse grained vermiculite making it just moist enough so that if I squeeze a hand full of it no more than a drop or two of watercolor es out.
I incubate veiled and panther eggs at about 74 F degrees.

How wet was the substrate?
I use the coarse grained vermiculite making it just moist enough so that if I squeeze a hand full of it no more than a drop or two of watercolor es out.
I incubate veiled and panther eggs at about 74 F degrees.

Well I add water and its like little rocks its called Pagea but I am thinking in switching it to this now http://incubatorwarehouse.com/reptile-incubation-medium.html?gclid=CIaK_IbUoNMCFQO4wAodvKMNvQ. When I add water to Pagea, I can not squiz it because its solid like little rocks or little rock size clay and I would have to damb it every week.

I know that you can't squeeze the Pages. I was telling you in case you switched to vermiculite.
How long before laying the eggs did the chameleons mate?

My chameleons mated like 3 times all were sucessful mate but my boy passed away 2 weeks ago and I just got another male.

If you still have some eggs and they start to mold you should cut them open to see if they're fertile. If fertile, you'll see at the least some vascular tissue and if development proceeded a while there would be embryos at some stage. If the eggs are infertile, the inside will be more like a hard boiled egg-mostly a light yellow.
If the eggs were never fertile the incubator and/or your substrate are not the problem, no matter what, they would mold at some point.

If you still have some eggs and they start to mold you should cut them open to see if they're fertile. If fertile, you'll see at the least some vascular tissue and if development proceeded a while there would be embryos at some stage. If the eggs are infertile, the inside will be more like a hard boiled egg-mostly a light yellow.
If the eggs were never fertile the incubator and/or your substrate are not the problem, no matter what, they would mold at some point.

I have 2 eggs and they were the last 2 until they started to mold up. Well I have another good and bad news, wow I am a bad beginer breeder. As I noticed my female lesson to eat and got fat legs and started to wonder up and down her plant. I figure it was time again for her to lay another clutch so i got her laybin out which had her dirt ready from months ago so I started to lossen the dirt and as I digged further down, I found more eggs that she had laid but at that moment I have moved a couple of them already so I took the chance and placed them in the incubator and the other ones I placed them in a topeware with surround wrap with pagea and dirt in it but moist enough to place the eggs in my closet covered with my t shirts. What do you guys think on this?

Just an update

well,since I have last replied, I found more eggs and then moved them when knowing they have been in the laying bin for more than 3 months. I have surprise, one egg hatched and I am still incubating the rest. yeaaaaaahh, I am so happy, well guys I need your help on what will be my next step, right now it has sprouted of the eggs, what will be next move and so on?

Attachments

• IMG_1070 2.JPG
    IMG_1070 2.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    250.3 KB · Views: 183
I do not know how long does it take for it to finish coming out of the egg, he is still having his head out but I do not see him struggling to get out. I woke up in the morning to see how how he/she is doing and noticed he went back in the egg.

They do go back and forth when hatching. It can take a couple days to come all the way out. You will need extra small feeders in the next 24-48 hrs.

My friends put them in a glass viv under UVB once they are walking around. They do not touch them but use a branch or cotton swab to move them the first day.

Back
Top Bottom