Looks like respiratory infection...again

poolex5

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Male ambilobe around 5-6 months old. I've had him for just over 1 month.
Handling - Maybe once a day if I'm taking him out to free range on a large ficus in the house.
Feeding - He eats dubia roaches and occasionally superworms. He eats about 20 medium dubias daily. He doesn't want the superworms very much. I dust every feeding with reptiacal without d3 and dust with reptical with d3 every 2 weeks. I also dust with reptivite every 2 weeks.
Supplements - I dust every feeding with repti calcium without d3 and dust with repti calcium with d3 every 2 weeks. I also dust with reptivite every 2 weeks.
Watering - I mist with a mistking about every 2 hours from the time the lights come on until 2 hours before lights out. I make sure everything dries out in between mistings. He normally drinks every now and then from the leaves, but when he gets sick, he drinks A LOT. I have a drain system set up with holes drilled on the floor of the cage that drains into a funnel, into a tube, into a bucket that sits in the cabinet under the cage.
Fecal Description - Dropping look fine. His urates are white and the poop is solid.
History - I will explain past respiratory infection below.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - reptibreeze 2x2x4.
Lighting - I use a reptisun 5.0 for UV and a zoo med 100w basking bulb. I also have a rheostat to keep his backing temp around 88 degrees.
Temperature - The basking spot stays around 88 degrees. I use a infrared gun and a digital thermometer to verify. The lower half of his enclosure is around 74 during the day and may drop as low as 65 or so after misting. At night, it usually drops to 70 or so. I have a wifi thermometer/hygrometer for constant monitoring.
Humidity - Humidity levels start around 35 or 40% in the morning and rise up to 80-85% during the day after mistings.
Plants - I have a live pothos near the top and a live schefflera arboricola on the bottom.
Placement - His cage sits on top of a cabinet that is about 2.5 feet tall. It sits in my office and is not near any vents.
Location - I'm located in North Carolina.

About a week or so after I got him, I noticed he was drinking a lot and started exhaling though his open mouth. He started getting bubbles around his mouth and would sleep during the day. I called the person I bought him from and explained the symptoms. He said he has a respiratory infection and said I should get him to a vet and started on antibiotics immediately. I got him started on antibiotics and also used a ceramic heater at night to boost his nighttime temps. This worked and he healed up nicely after about 5 days. I continued him on his antibiotics for the full 10 days. That was about 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday he started showing signs of the infection again. He started exhaling through his mouth and today he even made a sound I've not heard...maybe a sneeze or cough?

I keep his cage very clean. I always remove his poops immediately and pick up any dead leaves. Every couple of days, I use a soapy cloth and wipe down his cage floor.

Obviously, he needs to be seen by the vet again. My question is, what am I doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention that both times this has happened, it's been around the time of a shed. I don't know if that makes any difference or not.

I don't see anything wrong with your husbandry, looks like your doing
everything right.

When on antibiotics, it may look like they are better in a few days, but you
usually need to continue giving it.
Was it Baytril?

The 10 days of treatment may not have been enough

I think it was baytril. If I didn't give it to him long enough, do you think it would take 3 weeks to show up again?

Yes, it sounds like you were very close to killing the infection, maybe only
4 or 5 more doses would have done it.
So the infection was not 100% killed, they start to multiply again, and then
you see the symptoms come back.

I had Squee on Baytril for 3 weeks.

Finishing the full dose is essential!!!! If you stop treatment before the course is over the bugs get stronger and may need a stronger different drug next time around. Please let your vet know this so they can choose the better drugs for full elimination of the stronger organism. This is how "super bugs" are created, same goes for humans. :eek: Good luck and sorry your cham is not feeling well:(

The op gave the 10 days, didn't stop after a few days.

He may of needed longer on them, hope he gets better soon. Kath.

I had the same with my veiled 5 months old male.
He had RI. I gave him Baytril for 10 days he seemed perfectly healthy and then it came back after 5 days. So definitely wasn't long enough for him... Now he is on Baytril again since yesterday. I have to give him for 30 days...But will see after 3 weeks...
Definitely keep us updated! I am very curious too!

The op gave the 10 days, didn't stop after a few days.

He may of needed longer on them, hope he gets better soon. Kath.

yeah my bad, i thought i saw he didn't! sorry op, i got ahead of myself there, but yeah i would see if the vet could give you a little stronger med. again good luck!

Baytril seems to be tolerated very well in chams, that is why it is used.
It has fewer side effects, diarrhea, lack of apitite, not wanting to drink water,
etc.
So you really need to watch them when they are on this stuff, and some chams may not have any side effects at all.

The most important thing is to make sure they are hydrated, even if you have to force feed them water.

Ask your vet to put flavoring in the Baytril when they mix it up.
The stuff is very bitter.

Thanks for all the replies. I will keep you guys posted.

On a side note, he is currently acting very normal except for the occasional exhaling through the mouth. He moves around his enclosure a good bit. He is eating a lot, drinking and his poops are solid and urates white. I am assuming this is just the start of his RI coming back. He just finished a shed. Should I assume that it's early stages of RI, or could it be something else? Any ideas?

I took my guy to the vet yesterday and they confirmed it was a RI. The vet also said that another 4 or 5 days of Baytril would have probably finished the infection off. He's back on the meds for 30 days.

So we are in the same boat... I hope your little one will be better soon! Both of our chams actually! :D

I'm not sure if he's getting better or worse. He has been on meds for 4 days (he gets his meds every other day). I have his lights going out at 6:00 and had his last misting at 4:00. I've been trying different things to boost his night time humidity levels. I recently changed his last misting to 5:00. Most nights, he goes to his sleep spot around 5:15 or so. Since the misting just ended, he is wet and he's in his sleeping spot with his tail curled. Is this bad for him to go to sleep wet?

I don't know, but I think he would dry until 6 pm..
But I'm surprised you have to give him the Baytril every other day... Or is this the general amount? I give mine every day.

I was surprised too. The vet said it was stronger and to only give it to him every 48 hrs. He's happy because even with the chicken flavor added, he hates getting his meds. So every other day is better than every day!

Are you seeing improvement in your chameleon's condition?

I see!
Yes, thank you for asking! I think he is better! I have to go today for some more antibio, I will ask for flavor! I read sometimes they can add flavour, he hets it too of course! Poor guys! I feel always bad when I have to force him to open his mouth,but I have to....

I came home today and he makes that popping sound even more then yesterday...So I don't know how he is right now...I will give chicken broth as a flavor tomorrow (that's what the vet said).

I'm sorry to hear that. Any idea what the popping sound is? I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom