looking to get into the chameleon world, unsure of where to start

I don't intend to come off as rude or snappish, but keeping an animal, of any kind really; is not a hobby. They are living creatures. Sorry, that just really bothers me. Anyways, I have an Exo Terra Monsoon for my tree frogs and salamanders. (the reason I asked if it was necessary is that I'd have to do a TON of rearranging to get it connected to a new enclosure, as my soon-to-be cham enclosure is on the opposite side of the room.)
i would get a mist king just to save you the trouble and frustration of setting up another line. i also used to have a monsoon but it died after a few months, just wouldnt come back to life for me so im investing in a mist king, which are much better when it comes to the chameleons misting schedule. nobody meant to attack you in any way but chameleons aka the act of keeping them is a hobby, the chameleon itself is a companion

also @Beman that was a wonderful post Becca. very informative

Monsoons are notorious for failing with chameleons. They can't keep up and end up dying after several months. I've never used one, but that's what pretty much any review with chameleon keepers mentions.

No intent to start an argument, but curious how it is not a hobby in your eyes? Caring for living things(chameleons in this case) is something we enjoy and spend our free time doing. That's the definition of hobby. No harm in it...

you wouldn't say that owning a dog or cat is a hobby, so why should chameleons or any other reptile be any different? I can see how it can be considered a hobby, but I just don't agree with it. No disrespect to anyone who considers it to be a hobby, it's just not me. Also, so far the Monsoon has been working well for about 6 months, ive had no issues so far. but ive never used it for anything more than some low-maintenance amphibians.

you wouldn't say that owning a dog or cat is a hobby, so why should chameleons or any other reptile be any different? I can see how it can be considered a hobby, but I just don't agree with it. No disrespect to anyone who considers it to be a hobby, it's just not me. Also, so far the Monsoon has been working well for about 6 months, ive had no issues so far. but ive never used it for anything more than some low-maintenance amphibians.

I see where you're coming from, but I think you're digging into words too much. You wouldn't say a dog is the hobby, but dog training could be a hobby. Heck, even spending time with a dog or cat could be considered a hobby by definition. Dogs and cats are more streamlined and simple, there are tons of ins and outs with reptiles making it more hobby-like when we think of the word though lol. Anyway, I've gotten off topic haha, no disrespect intended. Just my 2 cents... Hobby or no hobby, we're all here for pretty much the same reason (y)

I don't intend to come off as rude or snappish, but keeping an animal, of any kind really; is not a hobby. They are living creatures. Sorry, that just really bothers me. Anyways, I have an Exo Terra Monsoon for my tree frogs and salamanders. (the reason I asked if it was necessary is that I'd have to do a TON of rearranging to get it connected to a new enclosure, as my soon-to-be cham enclosure is on the opposite side of the room.)
Well you come off as the underdeveloped teenager you are - can't fault you for that.

While the animals are living creatures, and I love my 2 panthers, 1 bearded dragon, 1 leopard gecko, hermann's tort, 2 crested geckos, cat and service dog immensely, the equipment required becomes a hobby to maintain. We become slaves to the reptiles - and I mean that in the most loving and serious way possible. I put the needs of my reptiles above my own sometimes.

That said, you are a minor...you, by law, do not "own" anything. Everything you "own" technically belongs to your parents unless you are legally emancipated. So what are their feelings of more reptiles, especially ones that have expensive needs and require a LOT of maintenance and care?

That rhetorical question said - a monsoon will not work long term for a cham. As I said before - save your money and invest in a Mist King. The mist is finer; it is more reliable; and you will have healthier animals getting the right hydration.

Well you come off as the underdeveloped teenager you are - can't fault you for that.

While the animals are living creatures, and I love my 2 panthers, 1 bearded dragon, 1 leopard gecko, hermann's tort, 2 crested geckos, cat and service dog immensely, the equipment required becomes a hobby to maintain. We become slaves to the reptiles - and I mean that in the most loving and serious way possible. I put the needs of my reptiles above my own sometimes.

That said, you are a minor...you, by law, do not "own" anything. Everything you "own" technically belongs to your parents unless you are legally emancipated. So what are their feelings of more reptiles, especially ones that have expensive needs and require a LOT of maintenance and care?

That rhetorical question said - a monsoon will not work long term for a cham. As I said before - save your money and invest in a Mist King. The mist is finer; it is more reliable; and you will have healthier animals getting the right hydration.
i do believe with the right work done the op may be able to "own" one of these amazing creatures, that being said im also 16 and have thrown in at least 1500 of personal money into the setup i currently have. saving for a mistking and annual vet visits or when my cham needs them. the op is perfectly capable of caring for an animal with the right work put in on their part. i do agree with you on some parts of your statement but i do think that they deserve a chance.

OP, get a job, you're 16, work and save, thats what i do. then you'll be able to "own" and take care of a chameleon.

i do believe with the right work done the op may be able to "own" one of these amazing creatures, that being said im also 16 and have thrown in at least 1500 of personal money into the setup i currently have. saving for a mistking and annual vet visits or when my cham needs them. the op is perfectly capable of caring for an animal with the right work put in on their part. i do agree with you on some parts of your statement but i do think that they deserve a chance.

OP, get a job, you're 16, work and save, thats what i do. then you'll be able to "own" and take care of a chameleon.

I am in no way discouraging teens from entering this hobby. I work with amazing teens everyday & know how serious & responsible many of them are. I'm just pointing out the legalities - as a minor you technically do not own anything, even stuff you pay for since you are under the "administration" of your parent(s)/guardian. If you save your money, buy a chameleon and supplies and they do not want it - you cannot have it. You may have bought it, but they have ultimate control over what you do until you are 18 and leave their home. That is why it is incredibly important to have a solid & good relationship with your parent(s)/guardians...not just for animal ownership but for other areas of your life - such as healthcare decisions, education, religion, etc.

I am in no way discouraging teens from entering this hobby. I work with amazing teens everyday & know how serious & responsible many of them are. I'm just pointing out the legalities - as a minor you technically do not own anything, even stuff you pay for since you are under the "administration" of your parent(s)/guardian. If you save your money, buy a chameleon and supplies and they do not want it - you cannot have it. You may have bought it, but they have ultimate control over what you do until you are 18 and leave their home. That is why it is incredibly important to have a solid & good relationship with your parent(s)/guardians...not just for animal ownership but for other areas of your life - such as healthcare decisions, education, religion, etc.
I completely agree with you, I just want to point out that with or without the parents consent, a teen has a right to want to own or research anything they want and if they say they WANT a chameleon nothing is stopping them from researching about it.

I completely agree with you, I just want to point out that with or without the parents consent, a teen has a right to want to own or research anything they want and if they say they WANT a chameleon nothing is stopping them from researching about it.
We are saying the same thing. Wanting and doing are 2 different things. Research is always a good thing

Lol!:p I get being offended that OP made a fuss over the word "hobby", but why drag their age into it? It seems like they are doing research, calculating expenses and preparing an enclosure and supplies way before getting an animal. From the dozens of "help!!!!" posts I've read on this forum over the past month, it seems like plenty of adults jump into chameleon ownership having done far less. :/

FYI: Minors DO have certain legal property rights (with constraints), including the right to own land, houses, etc.. The law varies state to state, but minors can have a title to cars, for example. I imagine in a tight spot, a minor would be able to demonstrate legal ownership of a chameleon, too.

Also for what it's worth, OP, regardless of what word they use to call the business of caring for and breeding chameleons, the people who responded to this thread are committed to and love chameleons at a level that is no joke (I can attest from personal experience). Hobby seems as good a term as any. :)

Lol!:p I get being offended that OP made a fuss over the word "hobby", but why drag their age into it? It seems like they are doing research, calculating expenses and preparing an enclosure and supplies way before getting an animal. From the dozens of "help!!!!" posts I've read on this forum over the past month, it seems like plenty of adults jump into chameleon ownership having done far less. :/

FYI: Minors DO have certain legal property rights (with constraints), including the right to own land, houses, etc.. The law varies state to state, but minors can have a title to cars, for example. I imagine in a tight spot, a minor would be able to demonstrate legal ownership of a chameleon, too.

Also for what it's worth, OP, regardless of what word they use to call the business of caring for and breeding chameleons, the people who responded to this thread are committed to and love chameleons at a level that is no joke (I can attest from personal experience). Hobby seems as good a term as any. :)
I see you popping up here and their in threads. Happy to see you are still looking into the hobby. I think you will make one hell of a keeper :)

I see you popping up here and their in threads. Happy to see you are still looking into the hobby. I think you will make one hell of a keeper :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm still planning on getting a chameleon in the (hopefully) not to distant future, but at the moment I'm focusing on finishing my dissertation. Hopefully I'll defend in June and hopefully even before that I'll have a job lined up and then I can transition into my true life's work: chameleon husbandry (haha--or maybe it's no joke?).

not to throw my entire life story up online here but both of my parents bailed when I was 13, and I've been living with my older brother since then even though he's not even technically my legal guardian. And he honestly could not care less what I bring into the house as long as it doesn't become his problem. As far as he and I are concerned, I do in fact own my own animals.

that being said, there's no reason argue or get nasty. We are both here for the same reason; because we love animals and want to do the best for them.

anyways, sorry I offended you with my comment about animals not being hobbies. you seem to be well educated on the care of chameleons, and I can respect that.

not to throw my entire life story up online here but both of my parents bailed when I was 13, and I've been living with my older brother since then even though he's not even technically my legal guardian. And he honestly could not care less what I bring into the house as long as it doesn't become his problem. As far as he and I are concerned, I do in fact own my own animals.

that being said, there's no reason argue or get nasty. We are both here for the same reason; because we love animals and want to do the best for them.

anyways, sorry I offended you with my comment about animals not being hobbies. you seem to be well educated on the care of chameleons, and I can respect that.
I'm very sorry about your family situation - that is a tough life. I do not wish to start arguments or drama and yes, my main concern is for the animal but also for the humans taking care of them (financial, mental, physical stresses involved). This is a very complex animal with expensive needs. I applaud you for doing research before making a purchase.

is a Misting system necessary? I'm never out of the house for more than a few hours at a time. I'd be able to mist it manually multiple times a day. also i do have a colony of dubia roaches

Is it absolutely necessary? No, but it will make your life and the life of your chameleon way better if you have one. I would strongly recommend it.

You my dear friend no longer have a hobby. You have a zoo. We have a dog and a cat plus a vailed chameleon and a bearded dragon. I would so get another reptile, but at that point I am told I'll live in the garage with them, according to my wife. :LOL:

...then again, it is a nice garage!

You my dear friend no longer have a hobby. You have a zoo. We have a dog and a cat plus a vailed chameleon and a bearded dragon. I would so get another reptile, but at that point I am told I'll live in the garage with them, according to my wife. :LOL:

...then again, it is a nice garage!
It's a very small zoo though!! Make sure that garage is REAL nice!!!

Back
Top Bottom