Looking for Parsons incubation info

WayneL333

Hello everyone,

I know I read a thread recently where a recent successful Parsons breeder posted details on their incubation protocol and husbandry, but I can't find it for the life of me! Can anyone happen to point me to the thread?

I kept my pair together all summer in my GOC and although I never saw them doing the deed, I saw them hanging out pretty close to each other a few times. I plan on taking my girl to the vet soon to get an ultrasound to see if she's gravid so I want to be prepared if she is.

I plan on getting this incubator:

http://www.precisionincubators.com/reptile-egg-incubator/ambient-room-temperature-incubator/

But I want to see what the other successful breeders are using. I seriously doubt I have the skills and husbandry to successfully hatch eggs, but I want to give them a chance if it does happen! Thank you in advance.

Cant help with incubation but check the classifieds as someone in the last few month's was selling that exact incubator.

Carl

Thanks for the heads up Carl. I pm'd him.

I did Jan, but I couldn't find it. I should've booked marked it when I saw it but didn't. I remembered the post was very detailed, exactly when and how much they changed the temp, etc.

Wow this is an old thread;)
So I'm the one that recently hatched out the 100% parson's clutch, what would you like to know?

Hatching parsonii recipe-
Ingredients needed:
1 Clutch fertile eggs (difficult to aquire out of season)
1 cooling incubator with day\night temp fluctuation
1 large plastic container
500g grade 4 vermiculite
500g distilled water (to taste)

Pre mix distilled water and vermiculite into a .5/1 ratio (water, vermiculite) This will be your winter mix
Fill container half way
add eggs (mark tops in case of accidental turning)
add remaining vermiculite and bury eggs
Set incubator to 14c day 12c night 12/12 cycle (assuming the eggs are laid in the northern hemisphere winter)
Place container inside incubator
Wait 3 months
After 3 months slowly raise temperature over a 2-3 month period to 24c day 22c night 12/12 cycle.
At this time slowly raise the water ratio of the vermiculite to .8/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your summer mix. Peak of summer can be increase to 1/1 ratio.
Wait 3 months
After 3 months (beginning of fall) slowly lower temperature over 2-3 months to your winter diapause temps of 14c/12c
At this time slowly lower the water ratio of the vermiculite back to .5/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your dry winter mix again.
Wait 3 months
After 3 months slowly raise temperature over a 2-3 month period to 24c day 22c night 12/12 cycle.
At this time slowly raise the water ratio of the vermiculite to .8/1 (water, vermiculite). This is your summer mix again.
At the start of the last month of incubation (Middle of April) increase water ratio to 1/1 mix to simulate the beginning of the rainy season. You can also lightly drip the eggs with distilled water (sparingly)
By about the 17th month your babies should be fully cooked, remove from incubator and enjoy! :)

In all seriousness, that was all I did. The 4 variables you have to work with are temp, humidity, media, and day\night fluctuations.
I did a LOT of research into orange eye locations using websites like weatherunderground.com, and some depth soil temperature readings in
my backyard. I will admit I piggybacked off of Rantoro's (Andreas) success and forum posts regarding diapause temperatures:)
Water can be dripped directly on the eggs sparingly in the summer months if desired (caution.) I know Andreas has great success with this,
I did it a few times. If you were to plot out the temperatures and humidity needed over the year, it would look like a bell curve shaped graph,
like this:
Now get out and hatch some parsons everyone!:p

Thanks for the heads up Carl. I pm'd him.

I did Jan, but I couldn't find it. I should've booked marked it when I saw it but didn't. I remembered the post was very detailed, exactly when and how much they changed the temp, etc.

I've attached the method that Garrett used. Good luck with it, I hope to hear she's gravid!

Chase

Garrett has been very helpful to me. He can tell you which incubator he used. I also use the same one and they have a new "improved" incubator that should work better. We can talk shop at the SBCK meeting if you're going.

Craig

Other than what has been posted above there is many great threads on the Calumma Parsonii Forums. There is reading material about housing, incubation, breeding, feeding, health issues etc... Most of the member there are member here. It is kind of a private library.

http://www.calummaparsonii.com/

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Garrett has been very helpful to me. He can tell you which incubator he used. I also use the same one and they have a new "improved" incubator that should work better. We can talk shop at the SBCK meeting if you're going.

Craig

Yes, I'll see you there Craig. Can you post a link to the incubator? Thanks.

Wow, you guys aren't fooling around with that incubator! I'm going to make sure my girl is gravid before, I make that kind of investment. Thank you for the info and see you at the Christmas party.

That's the incubator I used:)
I feel like I splurged on it, the most important thing is to be able
to get consistent temperatures down into the 50's during the diapause, and stable temps in the mid 70s during summer.
Most of the cooling incubators on the market aren't very high quality,
this one also has it's issues. I think something like a modified wine chilling fridge with a thermostat might work just as well, or even a root cellar if you
have access to one. Get creative! I want to experiment with new incubation techniques if my girls ever produce any more eggs.

Thank you Garrett for stopping by and for your advice. I will definitely take it to heart. I have a vet appoint scheduled for the end of next week and they're going to x-ray my girl to see if she's gravid.

My vet's practice doesn't have an ultrasound machine and they have someone periodically come in to do them. It also costs around $400 for the ultrasound as opposed to around $85 for the xray. Hopefully if my girl is gravid, the eggs are formed enough to show up on the x-ray. I'm bit nervous about the whole thing, but I think it's better to know than not to be prepared. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom