Looking for a new plant for my enclosure.

Big Gulp

Established Member
Hi guys/gals.

So, the schefflera arboricola I have in my enclosure has gotta kind of bare. So I've been looking for other plants and have come across a Dracaena plant at Home Depot. Anybody have any experience with these? Will this thing outgrow my enclosure quickly?

This is what it looks like.

PLA022A.JPG

I get confused because I've seen plants at Home Depot and other greenhouses that are labeled as being the same plant, but looking different.

For example, this is the kind of schefflera arboricola I have now (not my pic):
p1080598.jpg

But today I saw another plant with much bigger leaves labeled "umbrella plant" and in smaller writing said schefflera arboricola. It's leaves looked like this...like I said, much bigger leaves:
scheffleraindoors01.jpg

Can somebody shed some light on these for me? Are they all safe? How hardy are they?

Thanks a ton!

All are safe. There are several cultivars and species of each. The Draceana (Corn Plant) is durable and can be pruned, but won't give you the branches other types of plants will. The Schefflera you have pictured looks healthy. Trim out some of the center growth and give it a bit more light and it will fill back out and give your strong, chameleon-friendly branches.

OK, thanks. Like I said, that middle pic isn't my actual plant. Mine is much more bare.

Is the last plant in my post as hardy as the SA?

I really like the looks of the Dracaena, but like you said, not many branches for climbing. Not a huge deal since I have tons of vertical and horizontal branches in the enclosure already. Will this thing grow fast? That's my main concern I guess.

And the last umbrella plant. I'm liking that but wanted to make sure it was safe and hardy as well.

So the last pic is actually Schefflera amate. It is considered toxic...more so than the arboricola. I have used them for years, but I keep them away from species that are notorious for leaf biting. They are an absolute no go with Veileds.

Schefflera are safe and there are usually 2 species offered. You want the arboricola.
The Draceana will not grow terribly fast, but there are safe and more interesting plants available, that will be happier in your chams cage, depending on the amount of light. Look up Ming aralia, false aralia, cinnamon tree, indoor ficus, hibiscus, citrus trees, Medinilla magnifica, cat palms, rhapis Palm, bamboo palm, and so on. Schefflera are one of the best plants for Chameleon enclosure, in my opinion. They can be pruned, don't leak noxious sap, make branches, have height, take low light and lots of water, provide tons of drinking places and cover, and they are cheaply available in many sizes.

Many times plants are rated as toxic or poisonous and there is really nothing dangerous more than say oxalates or stomach irritants. Ficus are used by many people and leak sap that can hurt the eyes and cause irritation, but people have few problems. Pothos is full of oxalate crystals, but is also used frequently. Safe plant list are good guides, but know that there are many plants that may be cautioned about, but are actually as safe as ficus and pothos. That Schefflera is an example.....perfectly fine to use, but maybe with caution for an especially aggressive plant eater.

Back
Top Bottom