Looking for a Herp Vet?

mrfixit01

Established Member
http://www.localvets.com/services/reptiles/
I looked at Brad's sticky about veterinary resources but most of the links either do not work, were very old, or are very sparse in their info. The above link worked for me and I was able to find a local reptile vet within 15 miles of us in just a few seconds. Try it yourself and see if this works for you too.

This is a good place to look for a vet.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/area-area-country-vet-list-32880/index2.html
Member here have posted the Chameleon vets that they use and their experiences with that vet.

I tried that link with my zip code and it gave me two vets in my small town and the closest chameleon vet to me is two hours away. I knew of both of these cl.inics and they do not have a vet with chameleon knowledge so be careful Brian.

That "sticky" was not there last night when I looked. Only Brad's showed. I see this thread started in 2008. Either much of it may also be obsolete, the way business come and go, or it will take a while to wade through what is in there. You're going to have to do some research either way. I tried the link I posted and it did what I needed. The site seemed to be kept current as far as web current dates appeared. Yes, caveats are essential when doing a search. I agree with you. Just thought it was better than the 2005 sticky. Thanks

The one you linked is the most current list I can find as well.

Thanks.
I found a really nice herp vet just 10 miles from home. They have a great web site w/pics and all! Downloaded a new patient form, faxed it to them then called. Made an appointment over the phone, then got a follow-up email from them to confirm. Then they hooked me up with ePetHealth site to manage records and find useful info. Really very professional.
Called one other vet and they "wouldn't see us today", as I was told. Will stay away from that place!

Thanks.
I found a really nice herp vet just 10 miles from home. They have a great web site w/pics and all! Downloaded a new patient form, faxed it to them then called. Made an appointment over the phone, then got a follow-up email from them to confirm. Then they hooked me up with ePetHealth site to manage records and find useful info. Really very professional.
Called one other vet and they "wouldn't see us today", as I was told. Will stay away from that place!

I would check and make sure they have expierence with chameleons. That is really what matters most.

I would check and make sure they have expierence with chameleons. That is really what matters most.

Correct! Dr Stanfill has extensive reptile experience! Couldn't find out anything in particular about the other one that 'wouldn't' see us when I called. Dr Stanfill had been out on vacation all last week. The other one was just off Thursday and I was told she'd be back on Friday. They would not let me make an appointment when I called either time and, of course, would not see me the day she got back.
Initially I was impressed with Dr Stanfill's credentials and web site but he was unavailable. His office person suggested calling the other one saying that she was the only other one this side of Dallas that had herp credentials.
Checking online comments, he is highly regarded and the other place some said negative things about!
We have a 2pm appointment so we'll see how it goes in a little bit.:D

Well, Dr Stanfill really liked Rambo, as did everyone there. The casque damage was worse than we thought. The leading edge of the upper half of it is now gone. It had been cracked for some time, according to the dr. Mupiroci ointment for the next 1-2 weeks should heal him up fine. The Dr. says that Rambo had been previously subjected to too high temps and had burned his casque and upper eye ridges. (We knew that when we first saw him.) He felt that the damaged portion came from that exposure and the stress of rehoming caused the rest of the separation. He also noted that the front right leg appeared to have some small signs of mbd but the rest of his body was fine. He questioned me about feeding, dusting, treatment and was satisfied that what we are doing is sufficient. The funny thing about this trip was that Rambo rode all the way on the sun visor up and back. I couldn't put him in the carrier again so my son rode with me to hold him. He didn't want to be held! Other than that, he didn't gap, hiss, or try to bite anyone. He was a real trooper - thus the name Rambo!

Attachments

• 2012-07-02_13-35-49_592.jpg
    2012-07-02_13-35-49_592.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 2012-07-02_14-50-50_871.jpg
    2012-07-02_14-50-50_871.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom