Looking for a baby veiled

ruffcuts

I got my male panther from fl charms...he is a mean dude...I want a baby veiled but I am hesitant because I don't want another one that is mean...any ideas where to get one?

You want one that is not mean.. ?Did you return you mean one.I think they all are just some have tolerance to being handle.
Good luck

my veiled girl... is extreamly mean... most people that i know that have veiled chams, all are mean... but i cant say that all are mean, im sure there are some ones out there that are sweet

Yeah, I don't think there's any place that guarantees the chams are not mean :). In fact as far as chameleons go male Veileds have a bit of a reputation for meanness. Some chams of course are actually friendly, I think this is partly to do with successful captive breeding of them, and selection for those that are hardier and friendlier by breeders.
I wanted to get a more confident monitor lizard than I've got, she takes the same amount of looking after as any monitor lizard. I still love her the same. My male cham isn't mean, he just mostly tolerates me looking after him and occasionallly tells me to back off :) My female cham only likes me for the food, so much so that she tries to eat me! She's very sweet, just a little stupid :)
What I'm saying is if that's your reason for being hesitant then you probably shouldn't get a new one just now.

I started with veilds.Only about 20% of Veilds stay sweet Most get a attude.Try to keep all your interactions positive. When you take him out let him freerange,or have food when you open his door.Veilds attitude are one of the reasons I went to panthers.There are mean panthers.But not that many.I have 5 male panthers The oldest being about 3yrs old and there all easy to handle.

I got mine from Lancecham on this site. I can't say what Spikes personality will be like as he has shown some aggressive behavior, (I think scared since he's only been with us a few weeks) but he did come out and sit on my arm today :) He is only 2 months old and arrived very healthy and is doing great!

Yeah, I don't think there's any place that guarantees the chams are not mean :). In fact as far as chameleons go male Veileds have a bit of a reputation for meanness. Some chams of course are actually friendly, I think this is partly to do with successful captive breeding of them, and selection for those that are hardier and friendlier by breeders.
I wanted to get a more confident monitor lizard than I've got, she takes the same amount of looking after as any monitor lizard. I still love her the same. My male cham isn't mean, he just mostly tolerates me looking after him and occasionallly tells me to back off :) My female cham only likes me for the food, so much so that she tries to eat me! She's very sweet, just a little stupid :)
What I'm saying is if that's your reason for being hesitant then you probably shouldn't get a new one just now.

Guess I'm spoiled my female panther is super sweet loves to be held waits for me to open her cage and get a head rub

i have a buddy with 2 veiled chams. female is a little sketchy about being handled but the male will crawl right up your arm. may change tho, since he is only about 2 months old i believe. he may bring out the inner anger yet.
On the other hand, my male panther is a jerk. Diablo is a fitting name...

I got mine from Lancecham on this site. I can't say what Spikes personality will be like as he has shown some aggressive behavior, (I think scared since he's only been with us a few weeks) but he did come out and sit on my arm today :) He is only 2 months old and arrived very healthy and is doing great!

I'll try it if yours is already sitting on your arm that's a great sign! Thank you

Maybe you need to spend more time getting your little guy to recongnize you as a food source? Like hand feeding and maybe a small free range to get him out of his cage. Mine always felt cornered in his cage when he was younger, and it took months for him to warm up to me. He now "begs" to come out of his cage by hanging out in the front and reaching his arms out when I come in the room lol I have a free range that he climbs around on and he LOVES it and also going outside to be in the natural sunlight. You have to be patient and don't rush them. I would put a silk plant with branches going into his cage for him to climb out on instead of corning him with my hand. I would leave the room for 20 min or so and he would be out on the plant. from there I would very slowly handle him for maybe only a few seconds at a time(slowly upping the time as time went on), or let him use my hand as a bridge to another part of the plant so he got used to the feel on my hand. Like I said though, it took months and patience...he pretty much never fires up now lol:p

Check out the pictures I posted on the gallery - member cmoore. He arrived on Oct 4th. He turned 2 months old on the 25th. You can see how much he's grown in that short of time. The one with him puffed up is just from pointing the camera at him. But today, I put a worm on my arm and put my hand on a branch and he walked right out on my arm to get it. I just slowly brought my arm out and he stayed there until I put him back. Didn't puff up and change color at all. I didn't take a picture because I'm trying to get him comfortable with me. Totally made my day!:D

My super sweet jojo

This is my perfect little angel jojo, have to brag becasue of the feedback im getting...friendly chams are a RARE Thing

Attachments

• SUMMER VACATION 2012 003.jpg
    SUMMER VACATION 2012 003.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 76
She looks very sweet too :). A very happy and content looking girl for sure :D

I think generally if you get a cham young enough and work with him/her on a daily basis - at least in my experience - you can achieve a nice, mild mannered chameleon. I have had 3 veiled's and I worked with each one diligently to create a mind manner. Yes sure, I've been bit a few times but I think if you're assertive and show them who's the boss, they eventually understand the pecking order. I have an especially good relationship with my 4 year old male veiled (haha..you'd think he was my boyfriend the way I talk about him!) but he's so incredibly gentle and loving - I can't imagine him ever taking a strike at me. I would definately be shocked! My little girl used to snap, but she is a quick learner - and while she may show anger if I want to handle her, she knows who butters her bread and will come to me when I want. They really are like any pet - you need to spend time with them, show them love and care and when there is an understanding, generally the trust will develop into a long lasting and fruitful partnership! :D

I choose a Veiled Male specifically because of the attitude. I like a challenge, but even if I "lose" the temperament battle I won't lose the "war".

I got my guy from BocaJan from the forums. I love him and couldn't be happier. He was eating right out of the box(he was shipped) and has done great! He's not the friendliest guy in the world, but he's not mean. He is just scared. I held him for the first time last night. I have had him nearly 3 weeks now. He did a lot better than I expected. I love my little guy, though. I highly recommend BocaJan! I wouldn't trade my Kush for anything in the world! :D

This is my perfect little angel jojo, have to brag becasue of the feedback im getting...friendly chams are a RARE Thing

It's their instinct to protect themselves when they're younger because they think they're going to be eaten! Think how you would feel if you were that small and had these big hands reaching in for you! Just work with him and be paitent. He'll come around

Back
Top Bottom