Locust Breeding Help!

Rob040883

Hi all, hope you’re well!

I’m hoping to find some support with Locust breeding. I’ve had my breeding project for around 5 weeks now to help get me through the lock down here in the UK and also I guess to rear some really nutritious hoppers for My 8 month old malePanther “Spunky”

Ive had great success with the life cycle, purchased hoppers all turning to adults and successfully mating. They’re laying most days however this is where it ends! I’ve had zero success with any hatching. A few questions...

Will nymphs dig their way out if the laying hole has filled?

Does the laying hole need to stay 100% in tact?

Through all my lays I’ve not had a single white substance filling the holes As I thought there should be

I’ve tried different substrates from a jungle soil mix, soley sand, jungle mix with added sand. All have allowed laying but no hatching. I’ve left laying trays uncovered, covered, sprayed to replicate rain and left dry but nothing.

ive attached my set up, any advise would be amazing!!
0C155199-7345-47A3-B2EB-AD034910EF16.jpeg
70F009CF-1C1F-421B-BC3E-FC3BB1616822.jpeg
7E425B0A-01D7-4ECD-99AE-7671621DD6EE.jpeg

I want to come live in your Cham's enclosure :love: I wish we could have locusts where I am. I HATE crickets. Sorry I can't help, but I had to comment on your enclosure

What species do you have? Some take several weeks to hatch, and some
species need a diapause.

Im attempting to breed some as well... I get mating but not hatchlings yet, and its been months. Im fairly certain im doing it wrong heh

It’s frustrating the hell out of me! All the research I did prior said how easy it was ??

just standard desert locusts. My entire colony followed each other into adulthood and were at it all day every day after they matured. Loads of eggs as I’ve dug some up to check the colour after 3 weeks of not hatching but no signs of any free babies! My biggest concern is with the laying hole and if it needs to stay open for them to crawl out of or if they burrow their way out. I’m struggling to keep mine from being covered over with substrate from the rest of the colony. I figure they would be covered in their natural habitat due to the winds and other thousands of locusts!

I've tried to breed hoppers, not sure with locusts, but the hoppers lay bin had to be wet but well drained, I could not provide that

I believe for the hoppers I received it was at least four weeks before they hatched. That was without a diapause. I would guess it was actually closer to six weeks.

They are able to get out of the soil just fine. Just make sure it is moist but not wet. You don’t want it to be completely dry.

Back
Top Bottom