local wild chameleons

I've heard this story many times .. If it is true you sholud just leave them alone .. and maybe one day you could go watch them in the wild and acting natural .. and not locked up in your 18"x18"36" tiny cage .. go buy a CB

We are not planning on catching any wild caughts and bringing them home.:rolleyes: Just going to go watch them... Doubt we'll find anything but it'll be a great hang out time. :)

ya im not planning on keeping any of the finds since it would be the same as buying a wc ( i stay away from them anyway)..they should stay where they are, and it would be nice to have some information on wild chams on the wrong side of the world..

ohh yeah, im gunna pull him outta the tree( for a pic or two then right back)..im not chancing bringing back internal parasites to my ( paid for and not so cheap , other chams i have)..not just that we will be a team convincing eachother the chams should stay where they are..

IVE TOTTALLY SEEN THOSE PARROTS!!!!!!! I hear them alot too. I visit there sometimes. Do you live near ob?

I live in OB and I can't say I'm a huge fan of the parrots. They're cute and fun to watch play and all but that ear-piercing "Eeee-EEEEE-EEEE Ack-Ack-Ack" right outside your window at 7am on a Saturday morning es no bueno. I also used to live in a place down the street that had a huge fig tree in the yard that overhung out to the street. I felt bad for some of those cars after the parrots came through!

I live in OB and I can't say I'm a huge fan of the parrots. They're cute and fun to watch play and all but that ear-piercing "Eeee-EEEEE-EEEE Ack-Ack-Ack" right outside your window at 7am on a Saturday morning es no bueno. I also used to live in a place down the street that had a huge fig tree in the yard that overhung out to the street. I felt bad for some of those cars after the parrots came through!

Luckily, I have not heard them right next to my window. Lol! Only flying by but I can imagine how my ear drums would take those loud squawks.

Not entirely....ever see the radius around a large parrot's cage? It's like a disaster area. Now picture what a flock of parrots in a fruiting fig tree would be like. NOW add the poop. :D:D

I've heard this story many times .. If it is true you sholud just leave them alone .. and maybe one day you could go watch them in the wild and acting natural .. and not locked up in your 18"x18"36" tiny cage .. go buy a CB

Why should you just leave them alone? They are a non native species that could potentially cause harm to true native species. I say go pick them and pick the hell out of them. In Cali, Florida and Hawaii. Besides being a potential danger to native species politicians might hear or see about these populations and that gets more people on their side to ban keeping chameleons and other species in a certain area just like in FL. Owners should be more responsible and not let their pets go in the wild. Have you heard of the snake head fish?? http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/snakehead/overview.php

Should we just release those back in the wild if we catch one?

you do make an interesting theory..and they are getting overpopulations in hawaii..but i wanna pull a steve irwin and just see how beautiful, and gorgeous they are in the wild( oh and take the photo contest winner of a green bigfoot)lol

Yes, The snake head fish over populated South Florida waters by a japanese import. But is a very good game fish to catch and great eating as well. "Are you going to catch and eat chameleons?" Are you suggesting we bomb all the south florida waters to get rid of the snake head species? In addition I think the snake head fish is a good addition to the South Florida waters and most bird, reptiles and rodents are imported into these regions to take care of necessary problems. "bug over populations...etc"

What native species are you refering to? Anole? or the Iguanas imported form South America? Or Boa Constricters that are taking over South Florida? My point is if theres a thriving colony of Jacksons Chams living in SoCal they should be left alone and I see no harm in them eating bugs and are not going to over populate anything or not going to be any subject to any politicians or debate in a freakin recession, so get off your high horse and have some sympothy if there is a small colony of jacksons out there, they have survived very harsh weather and should be spared from rubby little 16 your old hands...

TShook

Why should you just leave them alone? They are a non native species that could potentially cause harm to true native species. I say go pick them and pick the hell out of them. In Cali, Florida and Hawaii. Besides being a potential danger to native species politicians might hear or see about these populations and that gets more people on their side to ban keeping chameleons and other species in a certain area just like in FL. Owners should be more responsible and not let their pets go in the wild. Have you heard of the snake head fish?? http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/snakehead/overview.php

Should we just release those back in the wild if we catch one?

lmao "are you going to catch and eat chameleons?!!?" hahaha sounds like a plan..i will bring the mini tail gate bbq LMAO jk jk

p.s. i could never, thas just horrible

Yes, The snake head fish over populated South Florida waters by a japanese import. But is a very good game fish to catch and great eating as well. "Are you going to catch and eat chameleons?" Are you suggesting we bomb all the south florida waters to get rid of the snake head species? In addition I think the snake head fish is a good addition to the South Florida waters and most bird, reptiles and rodents are imported into these regions to take care of necessary problems. "bug over populations...etc"

Haha, you're kidding right? You're actually advocating that efforts shouldn't be made to irradiate invasive species because a fish that is known to be a devastating invasive species is a good game fish and great eating? Are you also actually saying that they are a good addition to the Florida ecosystem and claiming they are not impacting any native species? Wow...how completely misguided you are...

Do I think we should bomb all the waters to get rid of the snake heads? No, but we sure as hell shouldn't protect them. Similarly, we shouldn't protect any invasive species (including chameleons) because they do not belong there and while you might not see what impact they are having on local ecosystems, they are competing for resources with animals that do belong there.

My point is if theres a thriving colony of Jacksons Chams living in SoCal they should be left alone and I see no harm in them eating bugs and are not going to over populate anything

While you obviously are incredibly knowledgeable about invasive species, their impacts on ecosystems, etc., do you have anything other than hot air to back up your claims that invasive species do nothing to impact local ecosystems and to prove your assurances that chameleon populations do not over populate anything? Didn't think so.

not going to be any subject to any politicians or debate in a freakin recession,

Comforting but similarly misinformed. There is currently a proposal in front of the house to ban 9 python species because they have shown the ability to invade in Florida and some believe they could spread. The pet industry has been fighting numerous similar bills since the start of this recession. Forgive me if your assurances come across as completely ignorant of something called "facts".

so get off your high horse and have some sympothy if there is a small colony of jacksons out there, they have survived very harsh weather and should be spared from rubby little 16 your old hands...

<Mumbles to self "Stay on high horse or come down into pit of ignorance...? What to do...">

Chris

Okay Mr. PHD you finally came out of your hole...Why did they introduce Veiled Chameleons into Vero Beach, FL then?? You must not be an angler to know that the snake head is good game and good eating fish? I dont want to argue with you, but I feel strongly about people taking them out of the wild when they have struggled so hard to survive here. I'm not arguing about alien species over populating..I'm just saying have some sympothy if there were Chameleons surviving in So Cal, espescially with the sole intention to sell, the buys wouldnt know what there getting...So leave it alone.

No... You leave it alone. Better stick to subjects which you actually have knowledge in or an opinion that that doesn’t conflict with common sense.

Perhaps a "what kind of veiled do I have?" type of thread?

Alright lets switch it up then...lets say there's a colony of Parsonii on So. Cal??!! Lets go get them!!! Let go clear them out!! How would you feel about the subject then??? :)

Back
Top Bottom