Local pet stores...

Good reptile shops are out there.

I'm lucky enough to have two reptile stores in my local area. Not cats/dogs or furry animals. Exclusively reptiles. They both carry animals, feeders, and dry goods. These guys also know what they're talking about. I would go into the shop for hours on the weekend before I got my first cham just watching and learning as much as I could. I ended up buying all 3 of my chameleons from this shop including my Cristifer Parson's.

Meh, would have to see it to believe it :p

I realize I'm not in the same circumstances most of you are, but for the past few towns I've lived in there were only one or two pet stores to choose from for ANY pet supplies. No big box chains. Some percentage of pet owners bought mass produced cheaper crap food/supplies from the supermarket...that will always happen. Certainly the local pet shops didn't get everything right in terms of exotics, but I am one who believes in, and has seen the benefits from cultivating a good relationship with a local store...for the sake of the animals as well as the humans. Stores can be tempted to buy an exotic offered by their wholesalers at any given time. Why not improve the fate of those experimental creatures? Attitude, good will, and customer service can go a long way. I've taken in pet shop critters that weren't thriving and helped them dig up the correct husbandry info so the animal didn't die in the store's hands and a potential buyer for that animal also benefited from it. I usually give them my contact info in case some patron gets into trouble with an exotic. In turn, when I've needed unusual supplies or special orders from a whole sale source they've helped me get them.

In one of those towns a PetSmart was proposed, and there was a local backlash from quite a few of the existing store's patrons. They petitioned against the chain and many vowed not to support them. It was common knowledge that they would open, test the market by overwhelming the mom-pop business with undercut prices, and then leave shortly if their business model didn't pan out. Then the community is left with NO pet supplies at all. But that doesn't matter to the big chain. The nationwide company can absorb those little costs. I remember talking with the mom-pop business after the PetSmart arrived about all this. They tried to compete, patrons tried to keep them going, but they didn't survive long. Predictably, PetSmart bailed after a couple of years. I will never knowingly support or give any business to a big box chain pet supplier for this reason. I don't care how educated their staff members are. Their invade, overwhelm, and conquer tactics don't sit right with me at all. The last thing they care about are the community's pets. OK, they hire a few locals but not many and customer service is not their concern. I've hardly ever gotten the time of day from a clerk at a big chain store and even less good information.

In my current town there is ONE pet supply. Period. Primarily small livestock/poultry supplies filled out by a few better dog/cat food brands, treats, some bird supplies, wild bird food, etc. They sell an occasional reptile and carry a few basic supplies for them. Unless you buy bulk cheapo dog/cat food from the supermarket that's where you shop. It is also the main reason I do not succumb to temptation and keep exotic herps here. I'm not stupid. We are much too small a targer for any larger chain. Thank goodness for "small" favors.

Last edited:
I think you are missing my point here a little bit :). I mentioned that I get they need to make a profit, but when selling reptiles,"the very practice" of making a profit often means below par care for the animals. Which is no bueno for the buyer or the animals we are supposed to care about.

@Beman there are many good fish stores, probably because it is a much* much* more expensive hobby than almost any reptile and it is more difficult to hide sick fish/corals. Plus they don't live long in poor conditions. Anyone with the slightest bit of experience in aquariums can walk into the marine section and be able to tell if they have healthy livestock. Many of the good petstores around me stopped selling reptiles and switched entirely to fish.

So anyway, idc that they need to make a profit, I get that. People make profit through all sorts of unethical things, doesn't make it right. I'm wondering, what are all these people talking about with their great reptile stores when I haven't seen any. Are 'good reptile stores' pretty much a myth lol?
Ye4s, there probably good and bad stores. To brand all as bad is a mistake. I have bought reptiles from a local "box" store for several years, and have had no issues. I continue to buy light bulbs, supplements, and crickets. I am glad they are here, and will continue to support them.

I live in Seattle and am not aware of any "reptile stores" or anything close to it in the greater Puget Sound area. The only reptiles that are sold locally that I know of is PetSmart and PetCo. And they're always the standard Beardies, Corn/milk snakes, Ball Pythons, Anoles and somtimes Veilds but that's about it. All the the reptile supplies that the big barns sell I can get online and usually for about half the price.

When ever I see/hear "local pet store" it almost always translates to "feed store" as dog and cat food supplies is where I would guess even the pet barn stores make most of their profit.
Petco will match prices on any online advertised item, such as uvb bulbs.

There’s a locally owned exotic pet store not too far from me. They recently expanded and I needed some supplies so went to check out their new store. I have very mixed feelings about it. Some of the animals seem to have what they need, while others are just languishing. Why have just a single primate, prairie dog and other animals that need a social group? The chameleons looked horrible...all were dark, emaciated and appeared to most likely have some mbd. They looked ready to keel over and die at any second. I left the store feeling very sad and unless I have an emergency need, won’t be going there again.

Petco will match prices on any online advertised item, such as uvb bulbs.

Only petco.com, not in store:

"Petco and Unleashed by Petco stores will also match regular and sale prices (excluding Repeat Delivery* pricing) found on petco.com. However, we do not match other online sellers and/or websites."

Back
Top Bottom