Local pet stores...

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I see people talk a lot about going to their local stores they trust and whatever. How is any good store even open(not talking about the pandemic)? By this I mean, any store that is locally owned and has ethical practices for their animals seems to close from places like petco/petsmart and other stores that just stockpile ridiculous animals for the 'wow' factor. I live in a fairly large city, not New York or LA large, but large enough that you'd think one would be around somewhere if they're as common as people make them out to be. I'm starting to think people that say they have decent local stores just don't know what they're talking about because the very practice of being a decent store hurts business. I'm sure there are some out there somewhere, but I'd literally not buy a reptile at any store within an hour of me. Some good aquarium stores, but not herps. So what are your thoughts on this everyone?

I agree with this completely. It is all about turning for a profit. The mind set seems to be: they wont be here long enough for good husbandry to matter.

I mean they need a profit, but if there were more measures in place for proper care of living things, it would make responsible pet stores more competitive. I've talked about this before on here, but we had a small place that would only stock a handful of animals at a time. Only what they could care for. They'd give honest advice and even got some negative reviews for turning people away that wanted an animal in a completely unsuitable habitat! They went out of business because of these practices and hinted they couldn't compete with places like petco and petsmart without lowering their standards.

I'm old enough to remember when PetSmarts started popping up accross the nation about 30 years ago. Before that there were plenty of unique pet stores to choose from and at the time I would love to shop them for different varieties of tropical fish. But with the arrival of big chain stores offering better prices and convenience, it was the beginning of the end for local pet stores.

I have a "good" local pet store. It has been in the town for over 20 years. I say good loosely. They are great with salt water fish and tropical. They have two guys there that semi know certain reptiles. But they sell chams and are giving and recommending incorrect items including lighting. Only 1 guy there really knows cham husbandry and we have talked at length but he is part time. He used his own time to come in and add more ventilation to the cages that they had because it made him crazy that the reptiles were in such incorrect enclosures. The owner simply does not care. It is about the money.

I think the issue is that if they do things right then most don't turn a profit. Maybe in a very large city if you were a specialty store you would have the customer base to pull from to allow for proper set ups and care. To then be able to turn away people that were not suitable because they werent willing to buy the proper items. And then there is trying to hire people with real knowledge or who are at least open to learning the ins and outs of what animals are being sold and their exact requirements.

Pet stores probably don't make much money by selling reptiles. There is more profit in selling dog and cat food. Employees come and go, and it is rare to find one who is understands or cares about all animals. Lets face it, stores are in business to meet expenses and hopefully make a profit. Loving their reptiles is ok, but doesn't pay the rent.

I think you are missing my point here a little bit :). I mentioned that I get they need to make a profit, but when selling reptiles,"the very practice" of making a profit often means below par care for the animals. Which is no bueno for the buyer or the animals we are supposed to care about.

@Beman there are many good fish stores, probably because it is a much* much* more expensive hobby than almost any reptile and it is more difficult to hide sick fish/corals. Plus they don't live long in poor conditions. Anyone with the slightest bit of experience in aquariums can walk into the marine section and be able to tell if they have healthy livestock. Many of the good petstores around me stopped selling reptiles and switched entirely to fish.

So anyway, idc that they need to make a profit, I get that. People make profit through all sorts of unethical things, doesn't make it right. I'm wondering, what are all these people talking about with their great reptile stores when I haven't seen any. Are 'good reptile stores' pretty much a myth lol?

I am lucky enough to have a good pet store about 5 minutes from my house. While their reptiles are kept in enclosures that are on the smaller side they do a pretty good job with their husbandry. Correct lighting, humidity, etc. The only complaint I ever had was when they kept a male and female jacksons' in the same enclosure a bit too long. Brought it to the reptile managers attention that they were running the risk of mating(and or fighting), and that they should be separated. Went in three days later and they were in their own enclosures.
They also keep there feeders well stocked. Crickets, dubias, hornworms, fruit fly cultures, isopods, etc.

They have been in business for 15 years that I know of, and have recently moved into a larger space. I believe the fish, and reptile business isn't where they make their money however. There dog/cat food section is huge, and they also sell artwork, trinkets, and fountain equipment(all at inflated prices)

I am lucky enough to have a good pet store about 5 minutes from my house. While their reptiles are kept in enclosures that are on the smaller side they do a pretty good job with their husbandry. Correct lighting, humidity, etc. The only complaint I ever had was when they kept a male and female jacksons' in the same enclosure a bit too long. Brought it to the reptile managers attention that they were running the risk of mating(and or fighting), and that they should be separated. Went in three days later and they were in their own enclosures.
They also keep there feeders well stocked. Crickets, dubias, hornworms, fruit fly cultures, isopods, etc.

They have been in business for 15 years that I know of, and have recently moved into a larger space. I believe the fish, and reptile business isn't where they make their money however. There dog/cat food section is huge, and they also sell artwork, trinkets, and fountain equipment(all at inflated prices)

See that's acceptable, I can understand smaller enclosures. Mainly inadequate water, food. Housing, etc that I have a problem with(as I'm sure most people do).

And the fact they took your advice shows a lot.

I have a pet store I like to got to, it’s a nonprofit rescue pet store. All the animals they sell have been abandoned/ sometimes just left in front of the store on cold nights. They have closed there doors a few times because they don’t make enough money and rely on donations. The store is a hour away but if I can support a Business that actually cares about there animals. They also have signs in the store saying these are all rescues and they have the right to refuse a sale to anyone they don’t feel is fit

I’m in walking distance with one of my favorite pet stores. The people there actually care about the animals and every morning they take all of the ferrets and cats (at different times) our before the store opens. When I gave them advice for the chams and told them that their female was gravid, they covered up the cage to the public and let her lay. They are part of a small business chain but at least the people there care about the animals. They said I can get a job there when I’m 18. ?

You raise a good point @jamest0o0 . The store i go to, i have not purchased any reptiles from. The husbandry there is good. Correct humidity and plenty of plants/hides.Prices are pretty fair. Where they really make their money is lowballing the seller. They would only pay $90-$100 per cham and raise price to $400. I completely understand and they dont have a problem moving them. The staff is knowledgeable. Most there, breed reptiles too. Thats where the store really makes money. As an employee, they cannot sell within a 100 mile radius of any store. That effectively shuts down the west coast and parts the south. So good in one way but there are still crappy business ethics at play. Something always gives and then something suffers.

I have 2 reptile stores I go to regularly. I wouldn’t say either of them are great.

One Has less animals in stock and does keep good care of their animals although they don’t exactly know the right advice to give for certain animals. But they never seem to get enough feeder insects in. Guess they don’t realize that’s where they make all the money.

the other always has tons of feeder insects but they have so many animals they can’t keep that good of care of them. But they are more knowledgeable about their care needs. Which is confusing.

I think all in all people get into it to try and make a good store but then they end up having to go for profit to keep the doors open.

I live near a couple bigger cities. The is one, that is pretty good, but a pet shop. They have been around a long time, and do pretty well.
@jamest0o0 is correct though. I ran a pet shop ,and was going to buy the shop. It is very difficult if not impossible to turn any profit if you keep everything perfect. They are only designed to keep animals for a short period.

So Going back to the shop here. There business model works because the function as a local "zoo" of sorts. 2 big torts roaming, and puppies of course. But their puppy system is great. Only local small breeders, and puppy go home to owners ever few day if not sold.

The only other one I have heard of, but not been is a reptile shop. They too function a a zoo of sorts, as well as a YouTube Chanel, and handle rescues. So more than a pet shop alone.

We are the hobbyists, we are the ones spending the money. If they kept their animals like we did, they'd be hobbyists too.

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to read everyone's replies. But just skimming through I keep seeing the same thing brought up, about them needing a profit blah blah. Guys, a little reading comprehension goes a long way(I say this with love). IDC about what they have to do to make a profit. I'm talking about as the buyer, I have not found a reptile store, in a fairly large city, that I would buy a reptile from. Even if they're in somewhat reasonable habitats, they are often filthy and have some sketchy signs of parasites. I'm not saying they don't exist, but the ones that people do speak of, I'm wondering how they stay in business when competing with stores that have obviously horrible standards and ethics.

@Beman you had a good point in very large cities they might build enough of a loyal customer base to get by. But then, to rent a store is probably so damn expensive. Might just be money laundering lol.

I live in Seattle and am not aware of any "reptile stores" or anything close to it in the greater Puget Sound area. The only reptiles that are sold locally that I know of is PetSmart and PetCo. And they're always the standard Beardies, Corn/milk snakes, Ball Pythons, Anoles and somtimes Veilds but that's about it. All the the reptile supplies that the big barns sell I can get online and usually for about half the price.

When ever I see/hear "local pet store" it almost always translates to "feed store" as dog and cat food supplies is where I would guess even the pet barn stores make most of their profit.

I think you are missing my point here a little bit :). I mentioned that I get they need to make a profit, but when selling reptiles,"the very practice" of making a profit often means below par care for the animals. Which is no bueno for the buyer or the animals we are supposed to care about.

@Beman there are many good fish stores, probably because it is a much* much* more expensive hobby than almost any reptile and it is more difficult to hide sick fish/corals. Plus they don't live long in poor conditions. Anyone with the slightest bit of experience in aquariums can walk into the marine section and be able to tell if they have healthy livestock. Many of the good petstores around me stopped selling reptiles and switched entirely to fish.

So anyway, idc that they need to make a profit, I get that. People make profit through all sorts of unethical things, doesn't make it right. I'm wondering, what are all these people talking about with their great reptile stores when I haven't seen any. Are 'good reptile stores' pretty much a myth lol?
I have not seen one in my area that could give proper husbandry advise let alone handle any questions concerning health issues that customers may have.

I live in Seattle and am not aware of any "reptile stores" or anything close to it in the greater Puget Sound area. The only reptiles that are sold locally that I know of is PetSmart and PetCo. And they're always the standard Beardies, Corn/milk snakes, Ball Pythons, Anoles and somtimes Veilds but that's about it. All the the reptile supplies that the big barns sell I can get online and usually for about half the price.

When ever I see/hear "local pet store" it almost always translates to "feed store" as dog and cat food supplies is where I would guess even the pet barn stores make most of their profit.
Check out Bridges in Snohomish. Not saying their care is on the level of an experienced hobbyist or breeder, but I would purchase a reptile or amphibian from them.

Good reptile shops are out there.

I'm lucky enough to have two reptile stores in my local area. Not cats/dogs or furry animals. Exclusively reptiles. They both carry animals, feeders, and dry goods. These guys also know what they're talking about. I would go into the shop for hours on the weekend before I got my first cham just watching and learning as much as I could. I ended up buying all 3 of my chameleons from this shop including my Cristifer Parson's.

Back
Top Bottom