Live plants

I asked about where you live because depending on your location it matters if the cage is by the window.

I know that you are trying to add more plants…but you have a problem of too much water….so I don’t know what you could add to the cage that could stand more water than pothos. I think you need to provide drainage for the plants if you want to continue providing that much water.

As for the threads of dry stuff on the floor of the cage…still…giving you a warning that it could cause impaction if the chameleon ingests it…even by accident….and there is no easy cure for impaction.

If you keep using the incorrect UVB light it’s very likely that your healthy chameleon will soon develop MBD….unless the chameleon gets UVB from direct sunlight all year around.

Its still important to be sure of your chameleon’s sex for the reasons I mentioned.

Hopefully someone else on here will have the answers you want and hopefully you have a good vet ready for whatever health issues develop down the road…although I would hope for them not to happen because your chameleon will get the care it needs. Good luck.
Not sure why it seems my girl has no light she have UVB on top of her enclosure and has natural light

Not sure why it seems my girl has no light she have UVB on top of her enclosure and has natural light
Hi! I’m new around here too ☺️ what’s your girls name? She’s so cute! We are super glad to have you two here!

The double dome light holds a coiled UVB bulb. Unfortunately, this light does not put off enough UVB to get to the lower parts of your nice big cage. It only penetrates a few inches. So unless your girl is right under it, she won’t be getting any UVB. Natural light is fantastic and I bet she loves being by the window. However, UVB doesn’t penetrate glass.

My little guy had the same light from his previous keeper when I got him. I thought it was totally ok. He actually developed a pretty serious condition called MBD. Because he wasn’t getting enough UVB, his body was pulling calcium from his bones. His casque is now deformed. He couldn’t hold himself up and his legs were shaking when he walked. Luckily I got some awesome advice from the keepers here and the issue is now resolved. He had to have a vet visit and daily meds for over a month. His case wasn’t that far progressed so he recovered fantastically. But if it had continued, his legs would have deformed, his bones would break and he would eventually die. I have a thread on here from when he was going through it if you’d like to look at it.

I promise you that these people care for your little girl just as much as you and are only trying to give you good advice. They are not judging you. I had so much wrong when I first came here and they welcomed me with open arms. Sometimes they are blunt, but it’s not because they are rude or judge mental. I think that because it’s all over text and not in person sometimes things could come off a bit harsh but I promise that is not their intentions. They are just keeping it short and sweet.

You could also try adding a dripper instead of misting so much as yeman only need 30/40 % 50 max this would give plant/s a chance to dry out and thrive
Hi! I’m new around here too ☺️ what’s your girls name? She’s so cute! We are super glad to have you two here!

The double dome light holds a coiled UVB bulb. Unfortunately, this light does not put off enough UVB to get to the lower parts of your nice big cage. It only penetrates a few inches. So unless your girl is right under it, she won’t be getting any UVB. Natural light is fantastic and I bet she loves being by the window. However, UVB doesn’t penetrate glass.

My little guy had the same light from his previous keeper when I got him. I thought it was totally ok. He actually developed a pretty serious condition called MBD. Because he wasn’t getting enough UVB, his body was pulling calcium from his bones. His casque is now deformed. He couldn’t hold himself up and his legs were shaking when he walked. Luckily I got some awesome advice from the keepers here and the issue is now resolved. He had to have a vet visit and daily meds for over a month. His case wasn’t that far progressed so he recovered fantastically. But if it had continued, his legs would have deformed, his bones would break and he would eventually die. I have a thread on here from when he was going through it if you’d like to look at it.

I promise you that these people care for your little girl just as much as you and are only trying to give you good advice. They are not judging you. I had so much wrong when I first came here and they welcomed me with open arms. Sometimes they are blunt, but it’s not because they are rude or judge mental. I think that because it’s all over text and not in person sometimes things could come off a bit harsh but I promise that is not their intentions. They are just keeping it short and sweet.
Well said 👏

Last edited:
You could also try adding a dripper instead of misting so much as yeman only need 30/40 % 50 max this would give plant/s a chance to dry out and thrive

Well said 👏
I do have a drip system I tend to mist her also just because she enjoys it so much.

Hi so I joined this forum early 2020 a short time after a got my first cham ,prior to joining I read a couple of books and looked some stuff up ,( as I previously had a couple of other reptiles I thought I ve got this sorted) when I joined and received comments, some of which I got defensive ( not because they where bad just cause I'm a defensive person ) I'm still here nearly 3 and half years later because when I stopped taking things personal and realised how dedicated , passionate and knowledgeable the members are , that their comments are all just trying to help and provide and share the correct information to both help chameleons and their owners. I know you asked about plants , hopefully you will be able to get it sorted, but your lights are very important ( as with every aspect of keeping a chameleon , temperature, humidity, supplements feeding ) the compact bulb may be giving of light but not the proper uv , and only in a small area of your enclosure, and needs changing, sorry for the long post I'm just trying to help and reach out

Glass blocks uvb in case you didn't know. I joined a little over a year ago and have learned so much here. They're just trying to help, sorry if your offended.

Update! More live plants with one more pothos coming tomorrow and thats all ill have room for. Also a new T5 light and took all of the moss our from floor of enclosure. Found plenty of left over food in that mess and won't be putting any back in. My pet store didn't have a digital temp and humidity thermometer. I will order one online. Any other pointers are truly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230529_110943.jpg
    20230529_110943.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230529_111253.jpg
    20230529_111253.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 36
Update! More live plants with one more pothos coming tomorrow and thats all ill have room for. Also a new T5 light and took all of the moss our from floor of enclosure. Found plenty of left over food in that mess and won't be putting any back in. My pet store didn't have a digital temp and humidity thermometer. I will order one online. Any other pointers are truly appreciated.
Looks awesome!! You never did tell us your sweet girls name!

Veiled are really bad about eating plants. So any fake plants should be used on the outside of the enclosure. It looks to be coming along nicely. I listened to the people at petco and bought all the wrong stuff and it gets expensive I know from experience.

I will get some more live plants

I love this! Headed to the store now for a new light some additional plants. I appreciate everyone's help and really sorry for coming off aggressive at first.
I will get some more live plants

I love this! Headed to the store now for a new light some additional plants. I appreciate everyone's help and really sorry for coming off aggressive at first.
Don't be sorry we are all here learning together, helping each other one big💗chamily

Veiled are really bad about eating plants. So any fake plants should be used on the outside of the enclosure. It looks to be coming along nicely. I listened to the people at petco and bought all the wrong stuff and it gets expensive I know from experience.
I agree. 99% of pet store employees do not have alot of basic knowledge on chameleons.... I am learning this the hard way. This girl was stressed and struggling after being shipping to a new pet store in my home town and I couldn't leave her there. I have never owned a chameleon. Taking her on has been humbling but I want to make sure she isn't suffering in my efforts. Now that I have property lighting and adding more live plants my main concern is her water intake. I have a automatic filtered system, I mist and also have a drip system. I only see her drink water 1-2 times a week but I am also out of the house working during the week.

I have been researching save plants and I'm confident I have safe plants for her. Does anyone have recommendations of her them to eat vegetables or fruits. She has no interest. I can only get her to eat live feed crickets, Dubai roaches and meal worms.

I have been researching save plants and I'm confident I have safe plants for her. Does anyone have recommendations of her them to eat vegetables or fruits. She has no interest. I can only get her to eat live feed crickets, Dubai roaches and meal worms.
Hi Some will some wont , as for the mealworms they aren't really reccomended, only really in moderation, black soldier fly larve is a better choice or silkworms

I agree. 99% of pet store employees do not have alot of basic knowledge on chameleons.... I am learning this the hard way. This girl was stressed and struggling after being shipping to a new pet store in my home town and I couldn't leave her there. I have never owned a chameleon. Taking her on has been humbling but I want to make sure she isn't suffering in my efforts. Now that I have property lighting and adding more live plants my main concern is her water intake. I have an automatic filtered system, I mist and also have a drip system. I only see her drink water 1-2 times a week but I am also out of the house working during the week.
Most chameleons are shy drinkers. If you monitor her urate you can tell if she is hydrated or not. I’ve only seen my guy drink one time the entire time I’ve had him. So don’t freak out about that. When she poos there will be a white part. That’s the urate. If it’s mostly white, she is hydrated. Orange or yellow means she is dehydrated. A small amount of color is ok, just make sure it is mostly white.

If you are still concerned about hydration, hornworms are great for that.

Mine also likes hornworms, and wax worms. Though these shouldn’t really be main feeders. You can also gut load your feeders with fresh fruits and veggies and that way your girl still gets those nutrients.

I'd like to say hi and welcome again to the forum , not sure if I or another member mentioned it but a plant light can be very beneficial I use an arcadia jungle dawn led. Ps you kinda made my day

Back
Top Bottom