Live plants

sholbrook

I have a pathos ivy in my enclosure currently but it is getting way too much water because my chameleon love love loves being misted with warm water. I spray her around 2-3 times a day. This is providing way too much water to my pathos ivy and it's dying. Does anyone have some ideas for live plants I can get for the enclosure that can handle more water since my girl loves her mist time so much?

Attachments

• 20230527_074540.jpg
    20230527_074540.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230527_074548.jpg
    20230527_074548.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 41
Well, my advice is you don’t have enough plants in there so , what’s happening is the pot base is exposed the larger the Pothos or plant base you’ll have the opposite reaction. You’ll actually end up having to water your plants because the leaves will keep the water for making it to the pots.

Hi and welcome. I'm seeing that your lights are not correct, which will need changing ( the compact fluorescent bulb does not provide enough uvb for your cham , you will need to get a long linear fluorescent like either a zoomed t5 ho 5% or an arcadia pro t5 6 % , this is very important for your cham body , bones and digestion

Attachments

• 20230521_212656.jpg
    20230521_212656.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 36
Also the analogue temp/ humidity gauge you have is not very accurate, best to get digital one with probes , you will need more plants and branches so as to use as much space as possible in the viv and to also make your feel safe , what temp and humidity are you currently reading ,

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Have you looked at the heels of your chameleon? If there’s a tarsal spur there the chameleon is a male. This is the easiest way to sex a veiled….and it’s important to know because females can have reproductive issues that we try to prevent through diet and temperature.

Regarding water killing your pothos…pothos are one of the plants that tolerate water more than others….so it’s hard to recommend others that would be better.

Your cage needs more greenery for sure and more branches to climb on as well. Also…I would remove the thready looking stuff from the bottom of your cage. I’m worried that it could lead to impacting.

As was already said, you don’t have the right lights on the cage.

Where do you live…I see your cage is by the window?

It would be good if you answer the questions in this thread so we can review your husbandry…
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Last edited:
Regarding water killing your pothos…pothos are one of the plants that tolerate water more than others….so it’s hard to recommend others that would be better.

Your cage needs more greenery for sure and more branches to climb on as well. Also…I would remove the thready looking stuff from the bottom of your cage. I’m worried that it could lead to impacting.

As was already said, you don’t have the right lights on the cage.

Where do you live…I see your cage is by the window?

It would be good if you answer the questions in this thread so we can review your husbandry…
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Okay so she is by the window I turn her lamp on when the sun comes up and off when the sun goes down. I want to add MORE natural live plants which is why I asked what can take more hydration l. My girl is super happy super fed and has no health issues. I would love to give her more life plants which is why I'm asking about live plants.......

I asked about where you live because depending on your location it matters if the cage is by the window.

I know that you are trying to add more plants…but you have a problem of too much water….so I don’t know what you could add to the cage that could stand more water than pothos. I think you need to provide drainage for the plants if you want to continue providing that much water.

As for the threads of dry stuff on the floor of the cage…still…giving you a warning that it could cause impaction if the chameleon ingests it…even by accident….and there is no easy cure for impaction.

If you keep using the incorrect UVB light it’s very likely that your healthy chameleon will soon develop MBD….unless the chameleon gets UVB from direct sunlight all year around.

Its still important to be sure of your chameleon’s sex for the reasons I mentioned.

Hopefully someone else on here will have the answers you want and hopefully you have a good vet ready for whatever health issues develop down the road…although I would hope for them not to happen because your chameleon will get the care it needs. Good luck.

I asked about where you live because depending on your location it matters if the cage is by the window.

I know that you are trying to add more plants…but you have a problem of too much water….so I don’t know what you could add to the cage that could stand more water than pothos. I think you need to provide drainage for the plants if you want to continue providing that much water.

As for the threads of dry stuff on the floor of the cage…still…giving you a warning that it could cause impaction if the chameleon ingests it…even by accident….and there is no easy cure for impaction.

If you keep using the incorrect UVB light it’s very likely that your healthy chameleon will soon develop MBD….unless the chameleon gets UVB from direct sunlight all year around.

Its still important to be sure of your chameleon’s sex for the reasons I mentioned.

Hopefully someone else on here will have the answers you want and hopefully you have a good vet ready for whatever health issues develop down the road…although I would hope for them not to happen because your chameleon will get the care it needs. Good luck.
I live in Dallas TX. My heat and humidity stay very level daily where they need to be. Just looking for more live plants options for her. My chameleon is happy healthy and stays in relaxed colors. I joined this forum for healthy information. not judgment. My girl is fine and will not need a vet. I'm not sure why the floor of My cage became a conversation..... it's moss.... it stays moist and provides humidity

Hi and welcome. You’ve gotten advice from the best keepers, so all I can do is pretty much parrot them. We love helping people get everything as perfect as possible so that their chameleons will be the healthiest but will stay that way for many wonderful years with you. I know you only came here to ask about plants, but we all see the same husbandry errors and want to help fix them. When everything is set up well and correct, you shouldn’t have this problem with overwatering your plants like this. If all you want is the plant answer, pothos is the most tolerant of everything. Ivy is poisonous if eaten and a veiled female will eat her plants. I would also urge you to either read thru the most current and correct care standards here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ or watch all of Neptune the chameleon on YouTube. If you will accept the help of the forum, we’ll need you to fill out that help questionnaire. Here it is. Just copy & paste with your answers.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You said…” I joined this forum for healthy information. not judgment”….and healthy information is what I’ve been trying to give you…information that would help your chameleon to have a chance at a longhealthy life.

I have a pathos ivy in my enclosure currently but it is getting way too much water because my chameleon love love loves being misted with warm water. I spray her around 2-3 times a day. This is providing way too much water to my pathos ivy and it's dying. Does anyone have some ideas for live plants I can get for the enclosure that can handle more water since my girl loves her mist time so much?
Hi so pothos are pretty hardy are you watering them or just misting, wandering jew is also a nice plant an yeman safe lots of live plants will increase your humidity, but I found, without closing in some of my viv I couldn't keep humidity up

Hi so pothos are pretty hardy are you watering them or just misting, wandering jew is also a nice plant an yeman safe lots of live plants will increase your humidity, but I found, without closing in some of my viv I couldn't keep humidity up
I do not water the pothos because it gets so much water from me misting my girl

You said…” I joined this forum for healthy information. not judgment”….and healthy information is what I’ve been trying to give you…information that would help your chameleon to have a chance at a longhealthy life.
I appreciate all your advice

What light should I he using instead

I do not water the pothos because it gets so much water from me misting my girl
Like how much are you misting and for how long ? Are you using a mister or a spray bottle , what are your humidity levels? Like I have a mistking but it doesn't water my plants

Like how much are you misting and for how long ? Are you using a mister or a spray bottle , what are your humidity levels? Like I have a mistking but it doesn't water my plants
I use a spray bottle. I mist her as long as she likes. In the morning I fill my mist bottle with wart water and she comes down and gets misted and when she has had enough she leaves

Back
Top Bottom